• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quality day out (2 Viewers)

Reader

Today was to hopefully be a day of Quality not quantity. There were a couple of good birds about and they were relatively local to Birmingham.

Our first port of call was to a field at the end of a lane that was by the side of an old watering hole of Monkeymans. The Greyhound pub in Great Glen, south of Leicester on the A6. A Common Crane had been reported there and we were to go to Orchard Lane and walk to the footbridge that spanned the A6 and look from there.

We started out at a leisurely 08:15am with Ros & the dogs accompanying me today. The day turned out to be a cold, crisp sunny one. As we past Birmingham airport we witnessed a stunning sunrise that took in 6 stages of colours from Purple to red, pink, blazing orange, yellow through to the light blues of a beautiful winters morning. Absolutely gorgeous. It was a shame that we were on a road where you couldn’t stop, as it would have made for a cracking photo.

We arrived at Orchard Lane at 09:30 and straight away a birder approached the gate we were to go through. “Has it been seen”, I asked. “Eventually” he answered. He stated that he had arrived on site at 07:45 and only spotted the bird 10 minutes ago then it flew out of sight again. It was last seen in a field on the left hand side of the A6 about a couple of hundred yards north of the bridge. Well at least it was still here, albeit being elusive.

We followed the path past the farm and onwards towards the Footbridge. The track took a sharp right bend and the sunlight flooded a stubble field to our left. It was hard to see through the bright light but something caught my eye in the distance. We were about 300 yards from the bridge not thinking of the Crane because we were possibly still about 5 – 600 yards away from where it had been seen but my luck had carried on from yesterday as the Crane flew straight in front of us and dropped into the stubble field. How is that for a piece of luck? The only down side being the strong sun making it absolutely impossible to take any sort of a photo. We watched it for a while then I rang the pager company to let them know that the bird had relocated. As I spoke to Andrew (at Rare Bird Alert) the Crane took flight again and flew back over the A6 footbridge, possibly returning to where it had last been seen. I didn’t see another report of this bird until much later in the day so I have to count myself very lucky that the Crane appeared when it did.

Our next bird was the other side of Wolverhampton, at a private country estate. The bird had apparently been there for 7 weeks and the owner of the estate had decided to open up the one area where the bird could be seen. It was on the Chillington Hall estate near to Codsall (NW of Wolverhampton by about 5 miles). It was a question of back tracking, as we had to go there via the M69, M6 and M54 before coming off and going through Coven and Brewood. For once the directions were a little confusing as it stated Chillington Hall but go via the Codsall Wood Lodge gate. I made my way to Chillington Hall but couldn’t find any one that knew where this lodge was so I actually drove to this impressive hall and parked in their grounds. Straight away I added a New Year bird when a few Song Thrushes were seen on the grass in front of the hall. Some old couples were arriving at the halls car park and I approached one couple that, thankfully, knew where this lodge was. Right on the other side of the estate about a 4-mile drive from where we were standing. Off we set and eventually came across the lodge. The car park was rammed full with the only place to park way down the road we had just come on. First piece of luck. A birder just arrived back from seeing the bird and told me to wait whilst he got his car out. Just right. I parked my car right by the gate. Walking through the lodge gates I deposited the £1 into the bucket that the owner had stipulated must be paid. All these donations were going to a wildlife fund. Next piece of luck. As I walked past the gate the warden asked if I would like a lift. I thought he was joking as all the other birders were walking. “ Yes please” I replied. We drove past about 20 other birders making their way to the site. This turned out to be a major slice of luck. Arriving at the site it was obvious that the bird was showing as a line of about 20 birders were all looking through their scopes. I soon had my scope up and following the other birders directions soon found myself on my 2nd target bird – a Great White Egret – albeit over 500 yards away. I have managed 3 shots of the bird as well as taking a couple of pictures of the lake it was on. You will see how far away the bird was on one of the photos I will post in the gallery. The piece of luck was me getting the lift as within 3 minutes of getting onto the bird it flew off and went behind the wood you will see on the photo to the birds left. It hasn’t been reported since. If I had had to walk instead of ride I wouldn’t have seen the bird. Once again I seem to be riding my luck. Out on the water could be seen about ten male Goosander and roughly 20 female. A few Goldeneye, plenty of Pochard, Teal, Mallard and Tufted duck. There were quite a few Herons in the trees plus there were Cormorants dotted all over the place. You will see for yourselves what it was like, as I will post 2 photos of the lake in the gallery.

This is a magnificent estate. It’s a shame that one person owns it and the public are not allowed to venture through these grounds. It was great to be able to visit this place to see this bird but once it has gone it will be closed to the public again. As it is, you weren’t allowed to wander off the one path you were allowed to use as notices were pinned up warning you not to do just that.

Walking back to the lodge I heard a couple of Nuthatches but never saw them. There wasn’t much birdlife in the trees and it wasn’t until I got back to the lodge that I saw another bird. Ros pointed out a Grey Wagtail that was on the Lodges roof. It sparkled in the bright sunlight. It was now after 13:30 and the only other quality bird that was close by was a Bittern that had been reported at Priorlese Park in Telford, right at the side of Jnct 4 of the M54.

It only took about 20 minutes to get there and after about a 200 yard walk I came across 6 other birders. Apparently the bird hadn’t been seen since first thing this morning. They pointed out where it had been last seen so I started to scope that area. Out in the lake were quite a few B.H Gulls and L.B.B Gulls but amongst them was another year bird in the shape of 2 Great black backed Gulls. “Kingfisher” came the shout from one of the birders. I spun around and a Kingfisher flashed by me, its brilliant blue shining like a beacon in this late afternoon sunlight.

The sun was getting low giving the birds and surroundings a golden colour to them. By now all the other birders had gone and I was on my own. Out on the water I found a female Goosander as well as a few Great crested Grebe, plenty of Pochard and Tufted Duck and a couple of Mute Swans. As I worked my scope along the edges of the reed bed, in the hope of sighting the Bittern, I became aware of a slightly different duck but it kept on disappearing behind the reeds. Eventually, after about 30 minutes it came out for about a minute. Long enough to ID it as a female Scaup. Another for my year list and a total surprise one at that.

In the end 6 new birds for the year but what quality. Common Crane, Great White Egret, Scaup Kingfisher and Song Thrush. Can’t complain with that can you. On top of that it was a stunning day. Cold but sunny making everything look all bright and new. The birds’ colours shone in this bright sunlight. How different from the last few days were it has been totally horrible. All three sites visited today are new to me. The Hall being the icing on the cake. It’s a shame that it will probably be my one and only visit.

Next weekend Ros & I are hoping to go down to Devon for the weekend. We will visit Ros’ friends on one of the days and park the car up somewhere to sleep so that I can, hopefully, pick up the Glossy Ibis that has been at Topsham for a few weeks now. Well, someone has got to shut Peter H up haven’t they?

I haven’t seen as many birds as I usually do at the start of the year. I think I have 104 and I usually start with 130 – 140 but I can’t remember starting the year with so many really good birds as I have done since Jan 1st this year. I also can’t remember riding my luck as I have done with most of the best birds I have seen. Let’s hope that it is a good omen for the rest of the year.

Great report John and I look forward to viewing your photos in the gallery.
I haven't even had chance to get out since the New Year.

You certainly seem to have had a good day.I went after 2 target birds myself today,being Waxwing at Ilkley and Mandarin Duck at Bolton Abbey.Managed to locate 6 Waxwings on the Skipton-by pass before I got to Ilkley and found the Mandarins at Bolton Abbey,photos in My Gallery,so I too had a good day.

Geoff

Nice day's birding!Need Common Crane(and Glossy Ibis)myself,but have seen GW Egret over here:would go to see another one if it wasn't too far away!There's probably a 1st-w Night Heron wintering locally,but not yet pinned down and confirmed:may try to do so next week(have seen sp.,but would be a county tick for me,as was a bird that I saw today....)
Harry H

The bird was the 1st-w Bonaparte's Gull found at Clonakilty shortly after Christmas.Had seen one in Dublin in April 2000 at long range,so it was nice to have this one down to about 40m!
It's very elusive at times,and a friend of mine who needs the species has dipped on it twice!Hope he has better luck the next time.
Harry H

Harry

I had Bonaparte a year ago. It was at a place called Millbrook in Cornwall. We saw it at the end of Dember 2001 then at the end of January 2002. As you can see, it was a long stayer. In fact, if my memory serves me right, it was there for about 3 months in total. This bird went down to only 5 feet from some birders. Can you believe that? The nearest we got was about 50 feet but that was good enough for me.

Hi John J,
They are really nice,aren't they?;-)May go down again on a better day(was windy and bitterly cold on Sunday)to try to get some photos of the bird.
Harry

Yes they are. Good luck if you do try for it.

I have noticed that there is also an American Herring Gull, American Wigeon, a couple of Ring billed Gulls and a Long billed Dowitcher in that area to. A few good photos to be had there Harry.

"I have noticed that there is also an American Herring Gull, American Wigeon, a couple of Ring billed Gulls and a Long billed Dowitcher in that area to. A few good photos to be had there Harry."
There would be,except for the fact that I only have a 300mm lens!I'll be lucky to lure the Bonaparte's and maybe one of the Ring-billeds close enough,but would have no chance with the wigeon or the Am.Herring Gull(have photos of latter at Cobh 2 winters ago,still present as a 3rd-w..3 1st-w's there initially,then 2 2nd-w's last winter and one left now).The dowitcher hasn't been seen since New Year's Eve(a bit of a disappointment for the old year list!May turn up again:it went missing before)
Harry

Hope it does turn up for you. I see that one has turned up in Scotland, the Highlands I think.

You will have to go Digital my friend. That way you will have the best of both worlds. The SLR and a Digiscope. You should get anything with that set up.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back