• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Understanding warranty servicing / product registration across brands (1 Viewer)

lifeknell

Hi everyone, I've collected binoculars over the years but never really got into specs, brands, and understanding/developing my preferences until recently. Some of the lower ends I've bought second hand came with problems, particularly a carson (cracked lens) and opticron (hair inside). Not worried about my bushnells, they seem to be no questions asked. I wish I'd read more into their warranties before buying them, because I am now learning that many manufacturers won't honor them without product registration. So my question is this, do most manufacturers require this kind of registration? Are the implied costs behind servicing/replacing that prohibitive? I mean I get it, standing behind products you made maybe decades ago can't be cheap, but shouldn't all manufacturers be motivated to do so? Greater warranties almost guarantee greater resale value, loyalty and prestige (assuming you're putting out quality product firstly) But I'm making these assumptions based on other hobbies that I have a better understanding of (knives / flashlights).

I can't answer your question but I do want to wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Legally you don't NEED to register a product for a warranty. All you need is your receipt for proof of purchase. There are federal laws to protect consumers from warranty misconceptions like this. The companies LIKE you to register your products because they use your information as a marketing database. The only reason you might want to register a product is if in the rare chance that there is a recall on the item. So don't worry about filling out all those registration cards that come with everything you buy. The costs behind servicing and replacing are expensive and that is why the companies with the best customer service and warranties charge more for their binoculars. Swarovski has excellent customer service and warranties but it is obviously built into the price of their binoculars. Sometimes that is why it is worth the difference in price you pay for a binocular from a company like Swarovski for example because you know they will most likely be around in 10 or 20 years to service your binoculars. There have been cases where people sent their 20-year-old binoculars into Swarovski to fix the focuser, and they totally refurbished the binocular to like new condition for no cost. That is one big reason well known brands do have greater resale, value, loyalty and prestige as you say.

https://clark.com/shopping-retail/should-you-register-your-new-products/
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/16/700.7

Last edited:
I have been using Osprey Global binoculars for years now and they have that warranty. The only thing you cant do is paint them cause that will void the warranty. it is the main reason I bought so you are right it encourages people to use them. Friends use them as well and he reversed over his bag with his binoculars in it and got a new set the following week from the company ( https://buyospreyglobal.com/warranty/)

Then on the other hand I have seen warranties that have stated they they have a " lifetime warranty valid for three years" so they want the benifits of selling products with a lifetime warranty without the hassle of actually providing it..hhmmm I dont want to mention their name here and give them any promotion whatsoever...

Wait I think I just ranted....

sorry if i went off topic

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back