• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I.D help. Taken in vicinity of Kings Canyon, AUS. (1 Viewer)

Blue Alert

Just had a holiday in Australia, and cannot identify this bird. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• unknown-bird.jpg
    unknown-bird.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 107
My first impression is Jacky Winter but I've never actually seen one on my trips to Australia (and I haven't convinced myself yet).

My first impression is Jacky Winter but I've never actually seen one on my trips to Australia (and I haven't convinced myself yet).

Jacky Winter seems to be a reasonable suggestion, though I would like to be able to see conspicuous white outer tail feathers. JWs do like to sit on posts. Did you observe the bird wagging its tail?

LK

Hi All,

To me this bird has more of the structure of a Hooded Robin than a Jacky Winter. Also, it has that sooty-faced look of that species. It looks very worn, but appears to have hints of what would have been the white bits on the folded wing. Also, the tail looks to be whiter-edged on the basal half as is the case with Hooded Robin.

Here's a somewhat similarly worn one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozjulian/1900070921/sizes/o/

Chris

Hi All,

To me this bird has more of the structure of a Hooded Robin than a Jacky Winter. Also, it has that sooty-faced look of that species. It looks very worn, but appears to have hints of what would have been the white bits on the folded wing. Also, the tail looks to be whiter-edged on the basal half as is the case with Hooded Robin.

Here's a somewhat similarly worn one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozjulian/1900070921/sizes/o/

Chris

I think you are right, Chris.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back