• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby gull with lump on neck (1 Viewer)

karii_enore

Hi I'm new here,
Today I picked up a very young baby seagull that had fallen from the nest, due to the fact the buildings are all flat blocks there was no way we could get it back onto the roof so we have taken it in. we have a question and are seeking advice, mostly on the lump that seems to have appeared on the neck of the chick.
the chick itself seems healthy enough, it is eating, moving around/stretching, even comes waddling over when we bring the food, but this evening we have noticed a rather large lump (on the front slightly to the right of the neck) that I'm sure was not there when we first picked it up but could be wrong.
I am assuming the lump is it's gullet full of food but would like to try to confirm this as a possibility from more experienced keepers. I will be keeping an eye on it overnight and update in the morning. also, any other advice on rearing and eventual release would be grateful.

Edit:
almost certain this is food in the gullet now, gave one last feed before going to bed and it has gotten larger.

Last edited:
Hi I'm new here,
Today I picked up a very young baby seagull that had fallen from the nest, due to the fact the buildings are all flat blocks there was no way we could get it back onto the roof so we have taken it in. we have a question and are seeking advice, mostly on the lump that seems to have appeared on the neck of the chick.
the chick itself seems healthy enough, it is eating, moving around/stretching, even comes waddling over when we bring the food, but this evening we have noticed a rather large lump (on the front slightly to the right of the neck) that I'm sure was not there when we first picked it up but could be wrong.
I am assuming the lump is it's gullet full of food but would like to try to confirm this as a possibility from more experienced keepers. I will be keeping an eye on it overnight and update in the morning. also, any other advice on rearing and eventual release would be grateful.

Edit:
almost certain this is food in the gullet now, gave one last feed before going to bed and it has gotten larger.

Hey Karii any updates on this Gull?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back