• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2018 (1 Viewer)

Dan hit 700 for the Lower 48 with the Great Black Hawk. The most amazing thing is that there have been no airplanes involved. I don’t know how he’s done it...
I can't attach more than five attachments at a time, so here are the ABA Continental lists.
Joe

Attachments

• ContinentalBigYears2018.xlsx
    125.8 KB · Views: 15
  • ContinentalBigYears2018ByCode.xlsx
    617.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
...and the Lower 48 and New ABA lists. EDIT: I didn't have Hawaiian Duck on Nicole's list; I do now.

Joe

Attachments

• Lower48BigYears2018.xlsx
    66.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Lower48BigYears2018ByCode.xlsx
    67.6 KB · Views: 9
  • NewABABigYears2018.xlsx
    109 KB · Views: 16
  • NewABABigYears2018ByCode.xlsx
    590.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Joe

Many thanks as always.

Presumably, the remaining question is whether Nicole can get to second on the ABA list? Presumably simply not enough possibilities to get second on the Continental ABA list?

All the best

Dan picked up Little Gull (#701), and Nicole added Northern Shrike for the Lower 48 (#701+1). They're closing in on Chris Hitt's 704. There are possibilities (Northwestern Crow for Nicole, for example), but the Lower 48 isn't her top priority and Dan needs to continue driving like a maniac. Of which he is fully capable, as we've seen!
Joe

Nicole has blown past Yve, Ruben & Victor, and is now in third place in the New ABA Region. Three in Hawaii, then McKay's Bunting in Alaska.
New ABA:
John - 836
Olaf - 829
Nicole - 820+1
Yve - 817

Continental ABA:
John - 784
Olaf - 778
Nicole - 771+1
Laura - 763

Joe

Nicole has blown past Yve, Ruben & Victor, and is now in third place in the New ABA Region. Three in Hawaii, then McKay's Bunting in Alaska.
New ABA:
John - 836
Olaf - 829
Nicole - 820+1
Yve - 817

Continental ABA:
John - 784
Olaf - 778
Nicole - 771+1
Laura - 763

Joe
So other than presumably Smith’s Longspur, has Nicole got any other year list targets in the next two weeks ?

She picked up Rustic Bunting. I've heard that she cleaned up most all of the gettable Hawaiian birds but they've not yet shown up on eBird. She should be right there with Olaf at this point, and there are enough possibilities around to entertain the though that she'll get close to John.
Smith’s Longspur
Little Tern
LL Buzzard
Whooper Swan
Fieldfare

Joe

New ABA:
John - 836
Olaf - 829
Nicole - 820+1
Yve - 817

Continental ABA:
John - 784
Olaf - 778
Nicole - 771+1
Laura - 763

Joe

So if there were eleven possibles and the others will show shortly:-

So eleven from Hawaii?
Hawaiian Duck
Japanese Bush-Warbler
Anianiau
Kauai Amakihi
Akikiki
Akohekohe
Akiapolaau
Hawaii Creeper
Akekee
Hawaii Akepa
Maui Parrotbill

I've heard that she cleaned up most all of the gettable Hawaiian birds but they've not yet shown up on eBird.

Joe

potentially an additional eight. As you say, neck and neck with Olaf who may slip down the historical roll.

But surely at least seven needed & not enough to dip for the line & challenge John?

Nevertheless an astonishing achievement. John will surely raise the bar again next year even if primarily a photographic list?

All the best

Last edited:
She picked up Rustic Bunting. I've heard that she cleaned up most all of the gettable Hawaiian birds but they've not yet shown up on eBird. She should be right there with Olaf at this point, and there are enough possibilities around to entertain the though that she'll get close to John.
Smith’s Longspur
Little Tern
LL Buzzard
Whooper Swan
Fieldfare

Joe

Little Tern??

I was going off John's list of possibilities; I figured he might know something I don't.
Nicole hasn't entered all of her Hawaiian species as of yet, but I'm thinking she has five more or so. I'll post as soon as I know anything definitive.

Joe

With the Fieldfare:
New ABA
John - 836
Olaf - 829
Nicole - 825+1 (she added three Hawaiian species to her eBird list: Akikiki, Akekee and Kauai Amakihi)

Continental ABA
John - 784
Olaf - 778
Nicole - 773+1

Lower 48
Olaf - 723
John - 721
Chris Hitt - 704
Nicole - 702+1 (she added Arctic Loon in Washington)
Dan - 701 (I know he has at least one more)

Last edited:
She just added in Akohekohe from December 8th. I hear she may have a couple more Hawaiian birds but I won't know until she posts them to eBird (or adds shared checklists).

Her eBird number is now two higher than her "real" number, as she added Red-masked Parakeet to her eBird list although that species is not on the ABA checklist. So subtract two from her AOU eBird number: the parakeet and Mexican Duck.

Dan picked up three Lower 48 species on his most recent sojourns: Lesser Prairie Chicken, Pink-footed Goose and Slaty-backed Gull, putting him at 704. He's now tied with Chris Hitt; we'll see if something within driving distance shows up in the last couple of days.

Joe

Last edited:
I'm getting confirmation of numbers from the birders, but it looks like this at this point:
New ABA
John - 836
Nicole - 830+1
Olaf - 829

Continental ABA
John- 784
Olaf - 778
Nicole - 774+1
Gaylee - 728
Richard - 727
Dan - 704

Lower 48
Olaf - 723
John - 721
Nicole - 706+1
Chris - 704
Dan - 704

I'll post the sheets after the birders proofread them one more time.

And yes, John is officially back at it! He set up a new blog at https://birdingyear.com
I'll wait for the 2018 dust to settle before requesting the ABA Big Year 2019 thread, but if anyone gets itchy, go right ahead!

Happy New Year, everyone!

Joe

Last edited:
I noticed that John W saw the red-flanked bluetail at the Clark Library in Los Angeles, California yesterday, and a few rarities in LRGV Texas the days before, where he bumped into Nicole.

Here are the final 2018 tallies, as I have them. I've been in contact with all the 2018 Big Year birders, and I'm grateful for the chance to share in their journeys from afar (or at least Chicago).
I'll do this in two posts, as you can't attach more than five files to a single post.
This the the Lower 48 post. Kudos to the two new members of the 700 Club, bringing the select group to five.
Nicole made a point of cleaning up species at the end, with extra trips at the end of December. A special finishing kick! Dan did the whole thing without flying; a very unique approach that still resulted in a 700+ year.

Joe

Attachments

• Lower48BigYears2018.xlsx
    66.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Lower48BigYears2018ByCode.xlsx
    67.6 KB · Views: 25
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back