• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gregor's between school and university list (1 Viewer)

30th October, Grange Forest Park, Brisbane
561. Australian Reed Warbler
562. Red-browed Finch
563. Brown Quail
564. Lewin's Rail

It was fantastic to find a great birding location right in the middle of the Brisbane, just five minutes' away from our new house! I will certainly be returning here regularly...

31st October, Boondall Wetlands Reserve, Queensland
565. White-throated Needletail

Very nice to get a lifer, though sadly the fact that it was high tide prevented me from finding any waders. Again, with this reserve within easy reach of home I shall certainly be returning here! I'm off to New Zealand soon which will be very exciting.

1st November, Brisbane Airport
566. White-headed Stilt

Nice to get an addition while picking up our dogs who finally arrived in Brisbane from England today!

Where at the airport did you see the stilt(s)?

Just to combine the subjects of #102 and #103 I saw my first ever white-throated needletails from the train when I was on the way to Brisbane Airport in late November 2013, my most recent visit to Australia. Great birds to see!

Where at the airport did you see the stilt(s)?

Just to combine the subjects of #102 and #103 I saw my first ever white-throated needletails from the train when I was on the way to Brisbane Airport in late November 2013, my most recent visit to Australia. Great birds to see!

They certainly are! Much more distinct than I had imagined. A nice flock of the Stilts came in to land on one of the shallow pools just outside the entrance to the airport while we were waiting in traffic. A White-bellied Sea Eagle was hovering above the same pool. What a great location the airport is in!

5th November, Kedron Brook Wetlands, Brisbane
567. Golden-headed Cisticola
568. Double-barred Finch
569. Glossy Ibis
570. Red-necked Avocet
571. Mangrove Honeyeater

Nudgee Golf Course, Brisbane
572. Striped Honeyeater

Nudgee Waterhole Reserve, Brisbane
573. Oriental Dollarbird

I went on a (very) long walk up to the fantastic Kedron Brook Wetlands today. Approximately 40 Red-necked Avocets as one of four lifers certainly made it very worthwhile!!

If I cannot get out again before Sunday, this may be my last birding around Brisbane for a while. I'm heading down to Melbourne to see a friend (I'll try my hardest to get some birding in!) and then on to Queenstown in New Zealand where I'm hoping to spend a couple of months working, I just need to find a job!

Last edited:
6th November, Enoggera Reservoir, Queensland
574. Comb-crested Jacana
575. Shining Bronze-Cuckoo
576. White-throated Treecreeper
577. Fan-tailed Cuckoo

A fantastic final trip out before heading down to Melbourne. There seems to be an endless supply of additions to the total from around the Brisbane area!

8th November, Melbourne Botanical Gardens, Victoria
578. Little Raven
579. Chestnut Teal
580. Red Wattlebird
581. Grey Teal

9th November, Yarra River, Melbourne, Victoria
582. White-plumed Honeyeater
583. Long-billed Corella

Last edited:
13 November, Royal Botanical Gardens, Melbourne, Victoria
584. Nankeen Night-Heron
585. Australian Hobby
586. Pacific Koel

Very pleasing to get an unexpected lifer today! I'm off to New Zealand tomorrow, so hopefully I will reach my target of 600 soon!

Last edited:
14th November, Queenstown, Otago
587. Kelp Gull
588. Black-billed Gull
589. New Zealand Scaup

It was fantastic to return to this awesome place nine years after my last visit. The low temperatures are feeling really horrible though after several months in the warmth of Brisbane!

Last edited:
15th November, Queenstown Gardens, Otago
590. Tui
591. New Zealand Bellbird
592. Common Redpoll
593. Grey Gerygone
594. Paradise Shelduck

Queenstown Hill Recreational Reserve, Otago
595. Pipipi
596. California Quail
597. New Zealand Pipit

It was very nice to see some native passerines today (along with one European introduction and an American gamebird that were also additions to the list!). The birdlife here certainly has a very European feel, with Mallards, Eurasian Coots, Great Crested Grebes, Blackbirds, Song Thrushes, Chaffinches, Goldfinches, Greenfinches, Redpolls, Dunnocks, House Sparrows and Common Starlings all very common as well as a single Skylark up on the hill!

Last edited:
17th November, Ben Lomond Scenic Reserve, Otago
598. New Zealand Fantail
599. Tomtit

Nearly there now!!

Last edited:
17th November, Ben Lomond Scenic Reserve, Otago
600. New Zealand Pigeon

I have reached my target!! With three months left, this total will certainly continue to grow, especially over the next few weeks as I travel north up New Zealand.

well done Gregor !! :king:eek::):t:

Thanks Carol! It ended up being much easier than I expected really, I was gearing up for a mad dash around Brisbane in February to get there!

One more today, and a very nice one indeed:
20th November, Franz Josef, Westland
603. Kea

Last edited:
21st November, Westland Tai Pouitini NP, Westland
604. New Zealand Falcon

What a stunning place! It was very pleasing to get my first NZ tick of the trip today as well, with two Shining Bronze-Cuckoos seen very well.

Last edited:
I second that, although I had no doubt that you would manage, of course (#97)!

Thanks Allen!! Your prediction was certainly correct!

A very long day of traveling today sadly, but thankfully my bus stopped for half an hour in a great place so I at least had the chance to do a little bit of birding!

22nd November, Paparoa NP, Westland
605. Weka
606. Spotted Shag
607. White-fronted Tern
608. Variable Oystercatcher

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back