• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

binocular reviews..... (1 Viewer)

nctexasbirder

young birder
i finally got to go over to my local Academy Sports and Outdoors store today to try out their models...first up was Nikon Monarch 10x42....very nice optics but not very ergonomic for me unfortunately since my IPD setting is generally the lowest setting, which resulted in no room for my thumbs to wrap around the barrel! it was like a "square grip" and i guess this results in all roofs, am i right? is there a right way to hold roofs? the monarchs also seemed a little heavy for me(i am a short skinny guy, dont have my growth spurt yet) and i couldnt hold them up for long. i tried 8x42 but no difference in weight and it didnt seem to match up to the 10x42 ...next i tried the leupold yosemites...they were nice for $84! but i dont like only 6x and they seemed an awkward grip but maybe that is just not fair to them...also tried a 10x42 Leupold Wind River roof ($287 a tad bit cheaper than monarch) and 8x42 Wind River porro(good for $187!)...i liked the porro because i am used to the grip..is it possible for me to convert to roofs? and thats my review.... :king:

The major difference in porros and roof prisms is how the elbows stick out. To get two thumbs in there, you need to put one thumb behind the other. I guess I do that, but it does not bother me as I never pay attention to it anymore. I can hold roof prisms one handed, porros not.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back