• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fell for the 128RC2 trap! (1 Viewer)

Smallrig has a variety of plate-to-arca-clamp adapters from $40 - $100.

https://www.smallrig.com/plates/arca-swiss.html

I'd personally go with this one. You can put 2 1/4-20 screws into it (or other combos) so the bottom plate will not twist. The clamp uses a side release which is good for bulky things so the release does not get caught on the object.

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-quick-release-clamp-and-plate-arca-type-compatible-2144.html

Marc

I caution against a lever release. The disadvantage of a lever release (whether this cheap one from SmallRig or a top-end one from Really Right Stuff) is that it may not securely lock all Arca-style plates. Unfortunately, there are very small differences between some of the manufacturers. These differences are insignificant for screw knob clamps but can pose problems for the narrow tolerances of lever-release clamps.

I'll also point out that the plate that is supplied with this clamp is not suitable for the OP because it is not of the long sliding type needed to find the scope's balance point. In fact, it isn't a very good plate in general--it lacks any anti-rotation features and the rubber parts make for a sloppy fit. Good plates from e.g. Kirk, RRS, Desmond don't have a rubber interface.

--AP

I caution against a lever release. The disadvantage of a lever release (whether this cheap one from SmallRig or a top-end one from Really Right Stuff) is that it may not securely lock all Arca-style plates. Unfortunately, there are very small differences between some of the manufacturers. These differences are insignificant for screw knob clamps but can pose problems for the narrow tolerances of lever-release clamps.

I'll also point out that the plate that is supplied with this clamp is not suitable for the OP because it is not of the long sliding type needed to find the scope's balance point. In fact, it isn't a very good plate in general--it lacks any anti-rotation features and the rubber parts make for a sloppy fit. Good plates from e.g. Kirk, RRS, Desmond don't have a rubber interface.

--AP

I was assuming he'd use two 1/4-20 screws not an anti-rotation pin. I'm pretty sure the 663 has two threaded holes, not one thread and one pin. But I could be wrong about that.

Yes, longer plate is necessary. I guess I've only used the lever on a Kirk ball head. Never had a problem with it, but you are correct it might be an issue without trying the exact plate in the clamp.

I bought a Manfrotto MV500AH and use it with a Kowa 883. I had an Arca Swiss ball head but that doesn't work well for using with a scope. The Manfrotto head works well with this 883 scope. I also bought an Innorel tripod, the big one with 40mm legs. I am impressed and I would not hesitate to buy the next size smaller if that was a better fit. I have a lightweight Gitzo tripod but the height wasn't the best for the angle scope so I opted for the Innorel big tripod. It's a bit heavier, but also sturdier, with a ball base option as well. I like that part.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back