• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yes, I am a bookaholic (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
It has involved a lot of hobbies and topics. Lots of books and hobbies. Records too. Borders has a lot of my income.

So the last few years was OK with birds, it was just field guides and discount books. But now I am hooked. I have field guides to cover most of Europe and North America, including West Indies. And I have never been south of Tijuana.

(Why is Central America a concept?Just political?)

Your confessions?

So the last few years was OK with birds, it was just field guides and discount books. But now I am hooked. I have field guides to cover most of Europe and North America, including West Indies. And I have never been south of Tijuana.

Tero,

Looks like you have just scratched the surface on Bird Guides. Wait until you get into Asia and Africa!!!!

More fun o:) ;)

Thank goodness for running out of shelving space. Now I only buy the field guide if I'm actually going there. None of those huge tome series - I can't put up shelves that strong!

I went to Alberta, so I have a book for Alberta. One of my favorite area guides! ;)

The Kenya guide looked quite interesting. Lots of Cuckoos.

My wife made me promise no more books until I built some new bookshelves. Since I only get several weeks a year at home in Florida, it has pretty much stopped my book buying for the time. (The Nightly Business News report remarked that Amazon sales were unexplainedly lower last quarter and I thought for a moment of explaining it to them :cool:

However, my wife did get a Field Guide to the Birds of the Caribbean from Santa :cool:

(Stands up) My name is Andrew and I am a birding bookaholic.

I just can't stop buying birding books and sometimes even stupidly buy the hardback version and only get round to reading it after the cheaper paperback has come out!

My problem is that besides birds, I am into all animals (= animalistic?). So,
whenever I visit abroad
I return with a book load

Last decade I collected travelogues from the Balkans & the Great Lakes area. Now I'm working on Micronesia. Ernest Thompson Setons I have, and his finnish counterpart Yrjo Kokko. Of ornithology, I gather books about bird songs (I like good music!).

Hi. My name is Beverly, and I'm a . . . gulp! . . .BOOKWOMAN! (I hate that 'aholic' thing).

I have an obsession (if I'm really truthful) about OWNING books, which I have tried in recent years to rein in. I'm not always successful.

At present, just lying on my bed, there are two cats, 3 hardbacks, 1 paperback, and 2 magazines -- with a new copy of the New Yorker (Christmas gift from a dear friend, and loved for the cartoons if nothing else) joining the mess tonight.

I own many bird books (the bookcase part of the secretary and half of a bookcase is devoted to them), and an equal number of books on gardening and crafting.

And if you include magazines . . . . oh gawd! My current passion there is mags devoted to rubber art stamping, my current hobby/passion.

I've gone through cycles of home decorating mags and cross stitch mags as well.

But I FORCE myself to go to the library -- I certainly can't afford to purchase every book I want to read. So I check out about a bazillion books every 2-3 weeks, and from that there's usually at least one I MUST own. Just purchased a copy of "Awakening Intuition" before I even got the hardback returned to the library!

But I LOVE owning books . . . and god help me if my sister and I hit a bookstore together: we've been known to fill a car trunk with purchases . . . .(I think I'm bad . . . you should see HER books!).

But hey, it ain't drugs, right?

Beverlybaynes said:
Hi. My name is Beverly, and I'm a . . . gulp! . . .BOOKWOMAN! (I hate that 'aholic' thing).
We understand, we understand, now calm down... ;)
I have this bad habit to secretly browse my bird books admiring how beautiful they are, fantasising my next tick... Especially in european Mullarney-Svensson-Zetterstom the birds look much prettier than in the great outdoors...

uh oh, better include me too, since i have (shhh!) two books. i have so many books it's killing my social life!

"I bird, bird, bird 'til my hair turns blue."

Our family moved into the finnish woods an year ago (3 kms to nearest pub, 20 kms to smalltown - like Finland itself was not a remote place). I mean right now, surrounded by almost one metre of snow, I have plenty of time to play with my books.. :)

i am in the middle of nowhere. Does anybody know where Stormville, New York is?

If not, then i stand corrected!

gthang said:
i am in the middle of nowhere. Does anybody know where Stormville, New York is?
Maybe all of them two stormvillains :D To cast some light on Finland, it is the forested swamp between Siberia & Northpole. That apparently would be the definition in Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy. (I collect Douglas Adams, too!)

Last edited:
Well, all you bibliophiles in the middle of nowhere, at least you have your books and the Internet...you have a thin line to civilization.

Yep... I too am a committed bibliophile... or at least I should be.

I've got two book "passions", Birds and Language.

I also obtain books on everywhere I've been. (I've even got three of the "same" book. One is a newer edition, but the other two are a "travel" copy and a "best" copy. Sheesh!!!)

Then there's my small but perfectly formed collection of paperback novels, that I read without creasing the spine!

Then Bill Bryson, Formula One, Cookery, Maths...

...and don't even TALK to me about Maps!!!!

Hi! My name is Dan and i'm a bookaholic. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just bird books or gardening books, but it's all of those plus just about everything else. Old books of every kind, esplecially juvineles and poetry, fiction, angling, livestock even history. The wall behind me is all shelves 8" high by 20' wide. The top of my desk is full. A couple of years ago I forced myself to clean out. I sorted everything that was left by subject and author. I sold books on the internet! Afterwards everything fitted on the shelves. Now they're all full again and I don't know what to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back