• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brent Goose in UK (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Please does anyone know whether the Brent Goose is well-known in the feral state in the UK, or whether, on the contrary, the birds we see are basically for the most part truly wild migratory birds ?
Thank you

Dear Steven
Thank you for the confirmation. I think I will "tick" it .
I am not including feral birds, introduced birds, "dodgy splits", birds bred in captivity for shooting or other similar origins on my tick list.
Thanks once again.

But only wintering - if you've seen one now, it'll be injured and unable to migrate, or an escape from captivity :t:

They are among the first wintering geese to arrive back, the first few from late August or early September.

But only wintering - if you've seen one now, it'll be injured and unable to migrate, or an escape from captivity :t:

They are among the first wintering geese to arrive back, the first few from late August or early September.

Or something else? There are seven at Pagham now, pale bellies: I don't think anyone believes they aren't wild birds? The numbers wintering and the vagaries of habits of wildfowl mean that it is likely you can find wild Brents in Britain year-round.

John

Dear John and Nutcracker
Thank you for your inputs here.
I think if one sees for example the Barnacle Goose in the UK (especially on the east coast in such places as Humberside) where there are known feral populations - then one would not conclude one had seen a wild migrant.
However I think from the information kindly provided here we can see that (with rare exception as seen) that the situation with the Brent Goose is unlike that of the Barnacle Goose.
I had a look earlier and it seems that the status of Brent Goose on the British List is AE with the "E" denoting birds have been seen that are escapees or introduced birds but are not forming a self sustaining breeding population (as is the case with the Barnacle Goose.
As the Brent Geese I have seen were seen on coastal flats in midwinter I am (thanks to your inputs) now confident in the genuine wildness of the Brent Geese that I saw.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back