Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Black bird with white underwing with black border

Old Friday 8th November 2019, 15:01   #1
Flatlandmom

Black bird with white underwing with black border

I am in upstate South Carolina. In late October on four different occasions, I saw a stout all black bird flying fast in a straight line, not too high, wing action like a duck, emitting harsh squawks rapid fire in even tone. It was flying from wooded area with a small river. It impressed me as a water related bird, It was about crow size, but fuller bodied. Here is the kicker - its underwing was white with a black border evenly all around. I can find nothing like it. Some have suggested pileated woodpecker, but it did not have that head, no other markings, and pileateds' white underwing goes all the way to the front wing edge with no black border. I'm sure this bird must have been migrating through our area. Any ideas?
Old Friday 8th November 2019, 18:46   #2
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandmom View Post
I am in upstate South Carolina. In late October on four different occasions, I saw a stout all black bird flying fast in a straight line, not too high, wing action like a duck, emitting harsh squawks rapid fire in even tone. It was flying from wooded area with a small river. It impressed me as a water related bird, It was about crow size, but fuller bodied. Here is the kicker - its underwing was white with a black border evenly all around. I can find nothing like it. Some have suggested pileated woodpecker, but it did not have that head, no other markings, and pileateds' white underwing goes all the way to the front wing edge with no black border. I'm sure this bird must have been migrating through our area. Any ideas?
The only bird that I could find (bit of a long shot), that remotely might be a candidate albeit smaller c10...a Common/Hill Myna, two introduced species that are rapidly increasing, particularly the former in Southern Florida?

Cheers
Old Friday 8th November 2019, 19:02   #3
stevethehydra

Common Gallinule (Moorhen) comes to mind - it has some white in the wing, more like a white border on a black wing than vice versa, but could maybe give an impression of more extensive white in fast flight? Though they don't fly often so might be unlikely on four separate occasions?

Another possibility might be American Oystercatcher? Though a quick look at Wikipedia suggests it's more restricted to coastal areas than its European counterpart... and I would have thought you'd have noticed the big, bright red bill! Or a last long-shot possibility, maybe a male Ring-necked Duck?!?
Old Friday 8th November 2019, 20:18   #4
andyadcock

White underwing with black border, Wood Stork?
Old Sunday 10th November 2019, 04:19   #5
Dawsy

Fast, straight flying whilst squawking sounds like a wader (shorebird) to me. How about a willet? That's about crow-sized and the wing markings could just about match the description.

Michael
Old Sunday 10th November 2019, 11:04   #6
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawsy View Post
Fast, straight flying whilst squawking sounds like a wader (shorebird) to me. How about a willet? That's about crow-sized and the wing markings could just about match the description.

Michael
Interesting idea, but the habitat (upstate, woodland stream) doesn't fit, particularly not for repeated sightings. Spotted Sandpiper might, but that's much smaller.
Old Sunday 10th November 2019, 11:38   #7
jmepler
It's just a flesh wound.

Is it possible that you mistook the upper wing for the underwing? If so, Black-bellied Whistling-Duck would be a good fit to your description.
Latest lifer: #375 Barrow's Goldeneye
Latest Pennsylvania lifer: #343 Harlequin Duck
Latest Lancaster County lifer: #302 Sabine's Gull
Use eBird to record your bird sightings.
Old Sunday 10th November 2019, 21:58   #8
Dawsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Interesting idea, but the habitat (upstate, woodland stream) doesn't fit, particularly not for repeated sightings. Spotted Sandpiper might, but that's much smaller.
Good point, I didn't read the original properly. I saw a mention of water and ignored the rest...
Old Monday 11th November 2019, 00:45   #9
Deb Burhinus

have you considered a leucistic crow?

https://little-buffalo.com/2012/08/0...boxley-valley/
http://www.osme.org
Old Monday 11th November 2019, 21:28   #10
Flatlandmom

No, I know a woodstork. They roost around here quite often. But thanks.
Old Monday 11th November 2019, 21:34   #11
Flatlandmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmepler View Post
Is it possible that you mistook the upper wing for the underwing? If so, Black-bellied Whistling-Duck would be a good fit to your description.
I don't think so. It was not very high and I concentrated on the one identifier I could see, which was the bottom of the wing as it went directly over my house. Thanks, tho.
Old Monday 11th November 2019, 21:44   #12
Flatlandmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawsy View Post

Michael
Looked up Willet. No, my bird was solid black, no long legs, no markings except the white centered underwing. Thanks for reply
Old Tuesday 12th November 2019, 11:53   #13
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Burhinus View Post
have you considered a leucistic crow?

https://little-buffalo.com/2012/08/0...boxley-valley/
Sounds perhaps the best idea so far
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: