Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Trochilidae

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 10th November 2017, 21:06   #101
LeNomenclatoriste
Taxonomy and Shiny hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_raty View Post
But, anyway, under the present rules, these two names do not compete, as they are not homonyms.
That's what I was going to write. So, at the risk of repeating myself, the Cephallepis case needs to be studied.
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 05:06   #102
mb1848

Spix Avium species is listed by Coues as 1825-1826. No reason given. But Laurent is right in that there is no internal data of this. Volume 1 is 1824 and volume 2 is 1825.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...age/9/mode/1up .
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k993135 .
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 05:52   #103
mb1848

Quote:
...the Cephallepis case needs to be studied.
Agreed. My understanding of Laurent's use of reinstating it is done not by the ICZN but "authors of checklists, catalogues and faunae" are the one who reinstate the old name as correct spellings. Genitives of species and subspecies nomina derived from personal names should not be emended
ALAIN DUBOIS 2007
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 09:26   #104
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1848 View Post
My understanding of Laurent's use of reinstating it is done not by the ICZN but "authors of checklists, catalogues and faunae" are the one who reinstate the old name as correct spellings.
It is supposed to be done by any and all authors publishing on the taxon, and opting to apply the regular provisions of the Code. (Checklists or faunae are not given any "special" status in comparison to other publications in the Code.)

(The other way out, "suppression", cannot be done by authors, by definition of the term -- nomenclatural suppression is, exclusively, "a ruling by the Commission, using its plenary power" [Glossary]. [It is not correct to use this term in reference to the action of individual authors, deliberately opting to disregard or boycott a particular name.] The only thing that an author wishing to go this way can do, is submit the case to the Commission. Once the case is before the Commission, and until the latter publishes a decision, other authors are said by the Code to keep using the name in prevailing usage, hence this name is effectively protected. As long as this has not been done, authors who don't believe that applying the regular provisions of the Code would be problematic, should in principle apply them [= use the senior name].)
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 10:03   #105
LeNomenclatoriste

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_raty View Post
The Commission.
If they look at this forum to be aware (Jean-Claude is aware ), unless someone warns them

Last edited by LeNomenclatoriste : Saturday 11th November 2017 at 10:10.
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 16:50   #106
mb1848

I am not in favor of suppression so I hope the commission keeps a blind eye towards us. As an old punk I am in favor of D.I.Y. (see Desperate Bicycles) Thus I am writing a proposal for change to the SACC. They are authors? Authors of a check-list??
I am talking about the Cephallepis case. The other case I know no information arguing that the bird should not stay in Bucco???

Last edited by mb1848 : Saturday 11th November 2017 at 17:03.
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 17:17   #107
LeNomenclatoriste

Quote:
D.I.Y. (see Desperate Bicycles)
??!?!?
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 18:27   #108
mb1848

Sorry, showing my age. As a pimply teen I heard over shortwave John Peel read the back of a 45 rpm single by this band saying "it was easy, it was cheap – go and do it!" The single showed their bill for 153 pounds from the recording studio. DIY is do it yourself. I'm not waiting for some "author" somewhere sometime fixing this I'll do it.
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 18:56   #109
LeNomenclatoriste

Quote:
The other case I know no information arguing that the bird should not stay in Bucco???
Cyphos is not close to Bucco but to Hypnelus and Nystactes
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 14:10   #110
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeNomenclatoriste View Post
Cyphos is not close to Bucco but to Hypnelus and Nystactes
Unless I am mistaken, however, these relationships were only shown in [a (now 13-year-old) PhD thesis], which was never published, based on data which were never released.
That doesn't mean the conclusions were wrong, of course; but it's not a type of source that the SACC is used to base changes on.

Commissioners are not going to look after this type of things by themselves; one (or more) ornithologist(s) would have to submit the case to them. It would be the responsibility of those who refuse to switch back to the senior name to make the submission.
I'm not at all fond of suppression either, by the way.
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 14:38   #111
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
I'm not at all fond of suppression either, by the way.
I am curious as to why. The stated purpose of the system of scientific names is to promote stability. If a name truly has not been used since year 1900 and it is now re-activated and used to replace the commonly used name, that is instability.

Niels

Recently moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 15:10   #112
LeNomenclatoriste

Create instability by replacing one only name , I'm not convinced.

Last edited by LeNomenclatoriste : Sunday 12th November 2017 at 15:13.
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 16:03   #113
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
I am curious as to why. The stated purpose of the system of scientific names is to promote stability. If a name truly has not been used since year 1900 and it is now re-activated and used to replace the commonly used name, that is instability.
Perhaps, but, in the cases discussed here, the names in fact have been used since year 1900. When a name truly has not been used since 1900, stability can, and should, according to the Code, be achieved by a reversal of precedence. Suppression should not be necessary. (Reversals of precedences have the potential to cause problems, though. But that's another issue.)

The system is supposed to promote stability (the same name being used across time) and universality (the same unique name being used for a given taxon by all users, which can only be achieved if no more that one single name is ever 'correct' under the Rules). In my view, the present Code largely fails in this latter goal. E.g., a lot of articles use the notion of 'prevailing usage', but the Code fails to provide any quantitative definition for it; as a result, in many cases, some may think that a name having been used recently is in prevailing usage (and retain it), others may disagree that usage was prevailing enough (and replace it); this type of situation promotes the persistent simultaneous use of more than one name for the same taxon, which is an extremely bad thing.
In the present case, we have a rule that basically says, about re-instating the older name: "You should do it. Oh! But, wait. If you believe it's not OK (or someone else in your community believes this), then after all you should not." This type of rule again fails to produce a single valid name for the concerned taxon.
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 16:16   #114
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
In the present case, we have a rule that basically says, about re-instating the older name: "You should do it. Oh! But, wait. If you believe it's not OK (or someone else in your community believes this), then after all you should not." This type of rule again fails to produce a single valid name for the concerned taxon.
That does sound pretty messy!

Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 18:06   #115
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Create instability by replacing one only name , I'm not convinced.
The thing is that similar things seems to happen every month lately.

Niels

Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 18:19   #116
LeNomenclatoriste

Quote:
The thing is that similar things seems to happen every month lately.

Niels
Do you have any examples?
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 18:26   #117
njlarsen
Opus Editor

I used the word seems because I did not want to go looking for proof

Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 20:38   #118
mb1848

Laurent said: "not a type of source that the SACC is used to base changes on." Agreed Also "Rasmussen & Collar HBW 7:104 argue for inclusion in a monotypic genus Nystactes . This is based on:
o The presence of a black, strongly bifid bill tip.
o The presence of "some distinctive plumage features" (Zoonomen) This is Tobias-y reasons and Dr. Remsen is a critic. But Peters 1948 lumped everything Ecchaunornis etc. into Bucco with no clear reason. I like splitting Bucco up a little.
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 22:18   #119
mb1848

"data which were never released."
In this tree Bucco macrodactylus is very close to Malacoptila fusca and less close to Nonnula ruticapilla??
http://biology-web.nmsu.edu/~houde/R...ting_trees.pdf . Dr Wtt is a co-author.
Old Friday 24th November 2017, 02:55   #120
Melanie

The generic classification of the Trochilini (Aves: Trochilidae): Reconciling taxonomy with phylogeny
F. GARY STILES, J. V. JR. REMSEN, JIMMY A. MCGUIRE

Abstract

The generic nomenclature of the hummingbirds is unusually complicated. McGuire et al.’s (2014) recent phylogeny of the Trochilidae based on DNA sequence data has greatly clarified relationships within the family but conflicts strongly with the traditional classification of the family at the genus level, especially that of the largest and most recently derived clade, the Trochilini or “emeralds”. We recently presented a historical review of this classification and the generic modifications required by the Code of the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. Herein we present a revised generic classification of the Trochilini based upon McGuire et al.’s genetic data, while producing diagnosable generic groupings and preserving nomenclatural stability insofar as possible. However, this generic rearrangement has necessitated the resurrection of nine generic names currently considered synonyms, the synonymization of seven currently recognized genera and the creation of one new genus. The generic changes we recommend to the classification are drastic, and we summarize these in tabular form in comparison with the three most recent classifications of the Trochilini. Where appropriate, we outline alternatives to our proposed arrangement. The classification treats 110 species in 35 genera, including two species that remain unplaced for lack of genetic samples.

Keywords

Aves, biogeography, classification, genetic relationships, hummingbirds, morphology, nomenclature

http://www.mapress.com/j/zt/article/...otaxa.4353.3.1
Old Friday 24th November 2017, 04:58   #121
LeNomenclatoriste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
The generic classification of the Trochilini (Aves: Trochilidae): Reconciling taxonomy with phylogeny
F. GARY STILES, J. V. JR. REMSEN, JIMMY A. MCGUIRE

Abstract

The generic nomenclature of the hummingbirds is unusually complicated. McGuire et al.’s (2014) recent phylogeny of the Trochilidae based on DNA sequence data has greatly clarified relationships within the family but conflicts strongly with the traditional classification of the family at the genus level, especially that of the largest and most recently derived clade, the Trochilini or “emeralds”. We recently presented a historical review of this classification and the generic modifications required by the Code of the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. Herein we present a revised generic classification of the Trochilini based upon McGuire et al.’s genetic data, while producing diagnosable generic groupings and preserving nomenclatural stability insofar as possible. However, this generic rearrangement has necessitated the resurrection of nine generic names currently considered synonyms, the synonymization of seven currently recognized genera and the creation of one new genus. The generic changes we recommend to the classification are drastic, and we summarize these in tabular form in comparison with the three most recent classifications of the Trochilini. Where appropriate, we outline alternatives to our proposed arrangement. The classification treats 110 species in 35 genera, including two species that remain unplaced for lack of genetic samples.

Keywords

Aves, biogeography, classification, genetic relationships, hummingbirds, morphology, nomenclature

http://www.mapress.com/j/zt/article/...otaxa.4353.3.1
My Darwin !!! I suppose that the full article is not yet available . I can't wait anymore.

New classification of Trochilini, mixing their work and mine

*= species studied, $= Incertae sedis

Source: http://tb.plazi.org/GgServer/summary...FBFFE6FFB71A66

Genre Abeillia Bonaparte, 1850
Abeillia abeillei (Lesson & De Lattre, 1839)*

Genre Anthocephala Cabanis & Heine, 1860
Anthocephala berlepschi Salvin, 1893*
Anthocephala floriceps (Gould, 1854)*

Genre Basilinna Boie, 1831
Basilinna leucotis (Vieillot, 1818)*
Basilinna xantusii (Lawrence, 1861)*

Genre Campylopterus Swainson, 1827
Campylopterus calcirupicola Lopes, De Vasconcelos & Gonzaga, 2017$
Campylopterus duidae Chapman, 1929*
Campylopterus ensipennis (Swainson, 1822)*
Campylopterus falcatus (Swainson, 1821)*
Campylopterus hemileucurus (Deppe, 1830)*
Campylopterus hyperythrus Cabanis, 1849*
Campylopterus largipennis (Boddaert, 1783)*
Campylopterus phainopeplus Salvin & Godman, 1879*
Campylopterus villaviscensio (Bourcier, 1851)*

Genre Chlorostilbon Gould, 1853
Chlorostilbon alice (Bourcier & Mulsant, 1848)*
Chlorostilbon assimilis Lawrence, 1861*
Chlorostilbon gibsoni (Fraser, 1840)*
Chlorostilbon lucidus (Shaw, 1812)*
Chlorostilbon melanorhynchus Gould, 1860*
Chlorostilbon mellisugus (Linnaeus, 1758)*
Chlorostilbon olivaresi Stiles, 1996*
Chlorostilbon poortmani (Bourcier, 1843)*
Chlorostilbon russatus (Salvin & Godman, 1881)*
Chlorostilbon stenurus (Cabanis & Heine, 1860)*

Genre Cynanthus Swainson, 1827
Cynanthus auriceps (Gould, 1852)*
Cynanthus canivetii (Lesson, 1832)*
Cynanthus doubledayi (Bourcier, 1847)*
Cynanthus forficatus (Ridgway, 1885)*
Cynanthus latirostris Swainson, 1827*

Genre Klais Reichenbach, 1854
Klais guimeti (Bourcier, 1843)*

Genre Orthorhynchus Lacépède, 1799
Orthorhynchus cristatus (Linnaeus, 1758)*

Genre Phaeoptila Gould, 1861
Phaeoptila sordida (Gould, 1859)*

Genre Riccordia Reichenbach, 1854
Riccordia bicolor (Gmelin, 1788)*
Riccordia bracei (Lawrence, 1877)*
Riccordia elegans (Gould, 1860)*
Riccordia ricordii (Gervais, 1835)*
Riccordia maugaeus (Audebert & Vieillot, 1801)*
Riccordia swainsonii (Lesson, 1829)*

Genre Stephanoxis Simon, 1897
Stephanoxis lalandi (Vieillot, 1818)*
Stephanoxis loddigesii (Gould, 1831)*

Tribu Trochilini Vigors, 1825
Genre Amazilia Lesson, 1843
Amazilia rutila (De Lattre, 1843)*
Amazilia tzacatl (De la Llave, 1833)$
Amazilia yucatanensis (Cabot, 1845)*

Genre Aphantochroa Gould, 1853 (considered in their work as a synonym of Eupetomena)
Aphantochroa cirrochloris (Vieillot, 1818)*

Genre Chalybura Reichenbach, 1854
Chalybura buffonii (Lesson, 1832)*
Chalybura urochrysia (Gould, 1861)*

Genre Chionomesa Simon, 1921
Chionomesa fimbriata (Gmelin, 1788)*
Chionomesa lactea (Lactea, 1832)*

Genre Chlorestes Reichenbach, 1854
Chlorestes candida (Bourcier & Mulsant, 1846)*
Chlorestes cyanus (Vieillot, 1818)*
Chlorestes eliciae (Bourcier & Mulsant, 1846)*
Chlorestes julie (Bourcier, 1843)*
Chlorestes notata (Reich, 1793)*

Genre Chrysuronia Bonaparte, 1850
Chrysuronia amazilia (Lesson & Garnot, 1827)$
Chrysuronia brevirostris (Lesson, 1830)*
Chrysuronia coeruleogularis (Gould, 1851)*
Chrysuronia goudoti (Bourcier, 1843)*
Chrysuronia grayi (De Lattre & Bourcier, 1846)*
Chrysuronia humboldtii (Bourcier & Mulsant, 1852)*
Chrysuronia leucogaster (Gmelin, 1788)*
Chrysuronia lilliae (Stone, 1917)*
Chrysuronia oenone (Lesson, 1832)*
Chrysuronia versicolor (Vieillot, 1818)*

Genre ''Elliotia'' Stiles, Remsen & Macguire, 2017 ( Elliotia gen. nov. is a junior homonym of Elliotia Nietner, 1856, which is a synonym of Pentagonica Schmidt-Goebel, 1846, Elliotia gen. nov. need to be replaced by Elliotornis, potential new replacement name for Elliotia )

Quote:
In the past, alternatively placed in genus Chionogaster, along with A. viridicauda
Whaaat !! Since when ?

''Elliotia'' chionogaster (von Tschudi, 1846)*
''Elliotia'' viridicauda (von Berlepsch, 1883)*

Genre Elvira Mulsant, Verreaux & Verreaux, 1866 (considered in their work as a synonym of Microchera)
Elvira chionura (Gould, 1851)*
Elvira cupreiceps (Lawrence, 1866)*

Genre Eupetomena Gould, 1853
Eupetomena macroura (Gmelin, 1788)*

Genre Eupherusa Gould, 1857
Eupherusa cyanophrys Rowley & Orr, 1964*
Eupherusa eximia (De Lattre, 1843)*
Eupherusa nigriventris Lawrence, 1868*
Eupherusa poliocerca Elliot, 1871*
Eupherusa ridgwayi (Nelson, 1900)*

Genre Goethalsia Nelson, 1912 (considered in their work as a synonym of Goldmania)
Goethalsia bella Nelson, 1912*

Genre Goldmania Nelson, 1911
Goldmania violiceps Nelson, 1911*

Genre Hylocharis Boie, 1831
Hylocharis chrysura (Shaw, 1812)*
Hylocharis sapphirina (Gmelin, 1788)*

Genre Leucippus Bonaparte, 1850
Leucippus fallax (Bourcier, 1843)*

Genre Leucochloris Reichenbach, 1854
Leucochloris albicollis (Vieillot, 1818)*

Genre Microchera Gould, 1858
Microchera albocoronata (Lawrence, 1855)*

Genre Phaeochroa Gould, 1861
Phaeochroa cuvierii (De Lattre & Bourcier, 1846)*

Genre Polyerata Heine, 1863
Polyerata amabilis (Gould, 1853)*
Polyerata boucardi (Mulsant, 1877)$ (''Arenella'' Simon, 1921,?)
Polyerata decora (Salvin, 1891)*
Polyerata luciae (Lawrence, 1868)$
Polyerata rosenbergi (Boucard, 1895)*

Genre Talaphorus Simon, 1910
Talaphorus chlorocercus (Gould, 1866)*

Genre Taphrospilus Simon, 1910
Taphrospilus hypostictus (Gould, 1862)*

Genre Thalurania Gould, 1848
Thalurania colombica (Bourcier, 1843)*
Thalurania furcata (Gmelin, 1788)*
Thalurania glaucopis (Gmelin, 1788)*
Thalurania watertonii (Bourcier, 1847)*

Genre Thaumasius Sclater, 1879
Thaumasius baeri (Simon, 1901)
Thaumasius taczanowskii (Sclater, 1879)

Genre Trochilus Linnaeus, 1758
Trochilus polytmus Linnaeus, 1758*
Trochilus scitulus Brewster & Bangs, 1901*

Genre Uranomitra Reichenbach, 1854
Uranomitra franciae (Bourcier & Mulsant, 1846)*

I notice that the genera Saucerottia and Pampa are not treated, but if they were.

Genre Pampa Reichenbach, 1854
Pampa curvipennis (Deppe, 1830)
Pampa excellens (Wetmore, 1941)
Pampa pampa (Lesson, 1832)
Pampa rufus (Lesson, 1840)

Genre Saucerottia Bonaparte, 1850
Saucerottia beryllina (Deppe, 1830)
Saucerottia castaneiventris (Gould, 1856)
Saucerottia cyanifrons (Bourcier, 1843)
Saucerottia cyanocephala (Lesson, 1830)
Saucerottia cyanura Gould, 1859)
Saucerottia edward (De Lattre & Bourcier, 1846)
Saucerottia saucerottei (De Lattre & Bourcier,
1846)
Saucerottia tobaci (Gmelin, 1788)
Saucerottia violiceps (Gould, 1859)
Saucerottia viridifrons (Elliot, 1871)
Saucerottia viridigaster (Bourcier, 1843)

Last edited by LeNomenclatoriste : Friday 24th November 2017 at 15:33.
Old Friday 24th November 2017, 12:34   #122
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Wow!

Old Friday 24th November 2017, 12:38   #123
LeNomenclatoriste

Quote:
Wow!

I use french word because it's a copy/past from my own check-list of birds , I'm too lazy to change genre by genus

Last edited by LeNomenclatoriste : Friday 24th November 2017 at 12:42.
Old Friday 24th November 2017, 12:42   #124
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:

I use french word because it's a copy/past from my own check-list of birds , I'm too lazy to change it
I am fine with that. My Wow was caused by Melanie's post of the abstract, not by your post. I should have used "quote" to make that clear.

Niels

Old Friday 24th November 2017, 12:46   #125
LeNomenclatoriste

Quote:
I am fine with that. My Wow was caused by Melanie's post of the abstract, not by your post. I should have used "quote" to make that clear.

Niels
Oops! Sorry
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: