• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (5 Viewers)

Hi John,

I'm still buzzing from last week's Hoopoe. That convinced me of the real potential of this place and the fact that it currently gets very little coverage.

I know how you feel Dave we sat in the Hen pool yesterday, waiting for that little blue beauty. I was trying to convince Gaz to do a sleep over in there, but I don't think I convinced him. Does lightening strike twice.
To quote some of the lads "Dave W not at Upton in late April, it must be a crap spring"...we need you at the Mecca mate to find a goodie;)
We could then have a n 'all-dayer' at coney:t:
B :)John

I know how you feel Dave we sat in the Hen pool yesterday, waiting for that little blue beauty. I was trying to convince Gaz to do a sleep over in there, but I don't think I convinced him. Does lightening strike twice.
To quote some of the lads "Dave W not at Upton in late April, it must be a crap spring"...we need you at the Mecca mate to find a goodie;)
We could then have a n 'all-dayer' at coney:t:
B :)John

I like the idea of an all-dayer at Coney - probably over the bank holiday after the Upton one - I guess I'll be on my own though. ;)

Absolutely amazing, very close views of an Otter fishing in the canal by Salwarpe village this evening. At one point it stuck its head out of the water and looked straight at me! It didn't seem bothered by my presence as it continued to hunt in the same area and I watched it, on and off, for 15 minutes or more - swimming in and out of the reeds and making little gasping sounds as it surfaced occasionally.

A Redpoll singing in Droitwich Woods was a bit unusual for the time of year. Otherwise still quiet, birdwise - pair of Gadwall, 3 Sedge Warblers anda couple of Reed Warblers singing in the meadow reedbed. Mistle Thrush joined in the evensong and a Buzzard hunting on the ground for worms in one of the fields

Happened to be coaching on the athletic track yesterday evening, there were 17 lesser Black Back Gulls and 6 Herring gulls feeding on the football field when I arrived, A Green Woodpecker was yaffling all evening::-O
Phil.

Popped down to the meadow this afternoon for an hour. A Grasshopper Warbler was reeling intermittently despite the chilly weather - it's good to hear one at last and, hopefully, they'll show as well as they did last year once the weather improves. Other birds of note included 2 Ravens, 2 Grey Wagtails, 2 Goldcrests, Buzzard, Kestrel, Willow Warbler, a few Swallows, Sedge Warblers, Reed Warblers and 2 Coal Tits feeding in Spruce Trees in Salwarpe village.

Oh, and a drake Gadwall.

Last edited:
I met with British Waterway's ecologist, Mark Robinson, this evening - it was very encouraging to chat to him about the habitat and exchange views about how the site could be improved for both wildlife and visitors. I look forward to contributing further to this ongoing process and I will continue to monitor the site over the coming summer - feeding back any observations so that sympathetic management can be carried out in future. We covered quite a few topics including:

• Reedbed enhancement - improving viewing opportunities into the sections of open water - rides and channels.
  • Possible further scrapes and pools (depending on funds).
  • Grassland maintenance and improving the floristic diversity.
  • Some areas left 'rough' with Juncus and Carex and rank herbaceous vegetation.
  • Hedgerows and scrub management
  • Bird / Bat boxes plus other structures to encourage insects and mammals
  • Security and access issues

The reeling Grasshopper Warbler showed pretty well late on this evening for about 5 minutes before disappearing into the reedbed. A couple of Swifts flew over, a Willow Warbler sang along the canal plus Grey Wagtail, singing Water Rails, Kingfisher, Raven, Reed Warblers, Sedge Warblers, Swallow, Treecreeper and Goldcrest.

A Noctule Bat flew over at dusk as well as the more numerous Pipistrelles.

It was also good to see some other fellow birders at the site - a Kestrel was seen (J Tibbets) plus a Cuckoo and a Hobby were reported this morning (P & M Lewis). :t:

Last edited:
It's great to see that the pair of Ravens have successfully raised at least two young this year - they were perched in the tree they were hatched in this evening, stretching their wings and jumping around excitedly when their parents came in with food - it looks like they'll be fully fledged in the next couple of days.

A singing Common Whitethroat was a new arrival and the Gropper showed well again. Several Swifts overhead, a few House Martins and a pre-roost gathering of around 100 Swallows was nice to see, circling over the reedbed although they moved off at dusk to roost elsewhere. A Mute Swan was on the canal and a drake Gadwall flew over.

Another patch tick this evening came in the form of 2 Whimbrels which flew over heading due north. B :) A Lesser Whitethroat called from one of the thick hedgerows.

Yesterday evening, the Grasshopper Warbler sang from one perch - so, fancying my chances, I took my camera down this evening. No such luck! - this evening it was moving around, singing from a number of areas - all I could manage were some truly appalling record shots (attached) before the light failed. I think an early morning visit might give better opportunities for photography.

Attachments

• Grasshopper Warbler Coney Meadow.jpg
    Grasshopper Warbler Coney Meadow.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 231
  • Gropper Coney Meadow.jpg
    Gropper Coney Meadow.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 246
Spent a couple of leisurely hours at the meadow today. The Grasshopper Warbler was reeling occassionally by the east gate, A Lesser Whitethroat and a Common Whitetroat were present plus 4 Gadwall (3 drakes), 100+ mixed hirundines, good views of Reed and Sedge Warblers, Goldcrest, Mistle Thrush, 2 Nuthatches, 2 Treecreepers, Grey Wagtail, Peacock butterfly, Orange Tips and Small Tortoiseshells.

4 Ravens were present (2 ad + 2 juvs) - photos attached.

Attachments

• Raven Coney Meadow.jpg
    Raven Coney Meadow.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 206
  • Raven Flight Coney.JPG
    Raven Flight Coney.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 182
A Cuckoo was singing frequently this evening. Also present were Grasshopper Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroat, Sand Martin, Swallow, Swift, Water Rail, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Mistle Thrush, Raven, Goldcrest, Grey Wagtail, and Treecreeper.

Last edited:
A brief Hobby over the meadow this evening - probably hunting for bats. A Greylag circled over and a Cuckoo called in the distance. Also, at least three Common Whitethroats and the Grasshopper Warbler gave reasonable views. It was good to meet Phil (PHW) - hope you get even better views of the Gropper on your next visit. ;-)

A brief Hobby over the meadow this evening - probably hunting for bats. A Greylag circled over and a Cuckoo called in the distance. Also, at least three Common Whitethroats and the Grasshopper Warbler gave reasonable views. It was good to meet Phil (PHW) - hope you get even better views of the Gropper on your next visit. ;-)

My first Grasshopper warbler thank you for that, the Cuckoo was below the Village could plainly hear him when I went through the churchard, lots of Gulls, Buzzard, Heron and a Yaffling Greenwoodpecker earlier over the playing fields.
Phil.

We went along the other end yesterday, from Porter's Mill to the Severn. The warblers were deafening! But, sadly, no sound of a cuckoo. There's some fabulous undisturbed habitat along there, isn't there? Salwarpe end next!

Went down last week had 3 Cuckoos female calling and being followed by displaying male. Missed Gropper are they singing by the viewing screen or the metal gate?

•Some areas left 'rough' with Juncus and Carex and rank herbaceous vegetation.
Ready for Spotted Crake or Aquatic Warbler. The little patch that will always have suprises with the diversity. I cant believe the Reed Warblers holding territory on the canal edge in a strip of reeds 2 foot wide

Attachments

• bird nightingale 05 2012 011.JPG
    bird nightingale 05 2012 011.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 178
Went down last week had 3 Cuckoos female calling and being followed by displaying male. Missed Gropper are they singing by the viewing screen or the metal gate?

•Some areas left 'rough' with Juncus and Carex and rank herbaceous vegetation.
Ready for Spotted Crake or Aquatic Warbler. The little patch that will always have suprises with the diversity. I cant believe the Reed Warblers holding territory on the canal edge in a strip of reeds 2 foot wide

Nice shot, Trev.

Went down this evening and saw Andy Pit down there. We had good views of Gropper at about half past eight - perched in the rough grasses / willow sapling (its favorite perch) between the concrete pipe (man-hole) and the east gate. Later on, it (or, more probably, a second male) was reeling to the west of the viewing screen.

Also present today: Cuckoo, Spotted Fly, 6 singing Common Whitethroats (notable influx), Reed + Sedge, Lesser Whitethroat, plenty of chiffs and Blackcaps, Ravens, Buzzards, Coal Tit, Kingfisher, Grey Wagtail, Goldcrests, Treecreeper and Water Rail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back