Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Two more from Tenerife, May '13

Old Monday 19th May 2014, 13:00   #1
mathare

Two more from Tenerife, May '13

I think these two are the last from this holiday! I feel like I didn't recognise any of the birds I saw out there

I have no idea about the first one. It has a yellowish tinge and a long bill for a little bird.

The second one I suspect is a juvenile Spanish Sparrow but would love some confirmation of that.

TIA
Mat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060218.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	502.4 KB
ID:	497682  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060313.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	530.5 KB
ID:	497683  
Old Monday 19th May 2014, 13:12   #2
HH75

First one's almost certainly a Canary Islands Chiffchaff. While Common and Iberian Chiffchaffs have been recorded on Tenerife, the subject bird's primary projection seems incredibly short and would fit this common resident best.
The second one, well, if House and Spanish Sparrow were both found on the island, I'd let it unidentified, but as only Rock and Spanish are given on a checklist I've found online, then it would have to be a juvenile Spanish by default. Unless the checklist is inaccurate, of course.
Old Monday 19th May 2014, 13:16   #3
mathare

There were definitely Spanish Sparrow about on the island, and indeed in the area where we were when that second photo was taken so the checklist is probably accurate, at least accurate enough for these purposes.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: