Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2019

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 14th November 2019, 11:54   #1226
Mike Montier

Thanks Martin.
Pep has also confirmed the sighting.
I saw what I believe was a Hume’s warbler at Porto Colom last year but without hearing the call or having photographs, I chose not submit it.
I was told that Yellow-browed warblers can vary quite a lot so a dull individual could not be ruled out.
The finder of this recent sighting is a top class birder so it seems likely to be accepted.
I feel sure other species from the east arrive in Mallorca every year but have until recently gone unnoticed.
The recent records of two Red-flanked Bluetail would seem to confirm this.
Lots more out there to go and find!
Mike
Old Thursday 14th November 2019, 16:26   #1227
Mcnswiss2

I wish...
A visit to the hide in Son Real and the Depuradora on a cloudy day.
Very quiet at the hide pool, probably as plenty of puddles around for drinking.
Birds seen included: Crossbills, Song Thrushes, Robins, Blackcaps, Great tit, Serins, Cetti warblers.
Best bird seen was a Merlin on the enterence to the Site.
No Bluethroats seen at the Depuradora. Birds seen included Common and Green Sandpipers, Black Winged Stilts, Water and Meadow pipits, White wagtails, Lapwings, Kestrels and Marsh Harriers. Common Pochard amongst the usual ducks.
Old Thursday 14th November 2019, 18:49   #1228
Maties Rebassa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Thanks Martin.
Pep has also confirmed the sighting.
I saw what I believe was a Hume’s warbler at Porto Colom last year but without hearing the call or having photographs, I chose not submit it.
I was told that Yellow-browed warblers can vary quite a lot so a dull individual could not be ruled out.
The finder of this recent sighting is a top class birder so it seems likely to be accepted.
I feel sure other species from the east arrive in Mallorca every year but have until recently gone unnoticed.
The recent records of two Red-flanked Bluetail would seem to confirm this.
Lots more out there to go and find!
Mike
Sorry for the delay to answer, I've not much time free lately. Yes, the birder who found the bird is a top birder, one of the best ones in Spain, if not the best one! We had to meet in Formentor that day but I could not arrive there in time, so when I arrived the bird had gone. The Hume's appeared with a YBW, so there were 2 rarities in the same place! I've seen a photo of the bird, and the call was recorded too.

When I arrived there I could see other interesting birds, 3 Dunnocks, 3 Goldcrests and a Wrambling, so seems that there is a lot of movement now!
Old Thursday 14th November 2019, 19:24   #1229
Mike Montier

Thanks Maties.
There does appear to be a lot of movement at the moment, no doubt helped by high winds, rain and snow.
A Snow Finch has been recorded on the highest peak in Mallorca and one also in Menorca which seems to be doing very well for rare and scarce birds recently.
Two Richard’s pipits have been seen.
A great website for viewing rare birds in the Balearics is:
rareresesornibalears.blogspot.com
Mike
Old Friday 15th November 2019, 16:29   #1230
Mcnswiss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Thanks, a great day.
I know there was some discussion about crab species but I can’t seem to find it.
I was intrigued by this large species I saw today at s’Albufera.
Mike
More Crabs at S’ Albuferata as well

Invasive species callinectes sapidus?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0CC18DBA-74FE-4D1F-BDE7-0A49EBF4ACD1.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	710104  Click image for larger version

Name:	0514D2D5-7A04-4C94-A010-39FD16E2703B.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	710105  
Old Friday 15th November 2019, 22:39   #1231
Mike Montier

Yes, I believe they are Mike.
Very big ones too!
Mike
Old Saturday 16th November 2019, 21:03   #1232
Mcnswiss2

Interesting weather up North. The day started sunny, followed by rain, hail, more rain and ended up sunny!
S’Albufera is a good place to take shelter.
Birds seen included: Osprey(2), Marsh Harriers (5), Kestrel, Kingfisher(2), Glossy Ibis (2), Greylag geese(2), Common Snipe, Greenshank, Grey Plover, Common Sandpiper, Kentish plovers, Blackwinged Stilts, Great White Egret, Little Egrets(3), Night Herons(15), Cattle Egrets, Marbled Ducks (20), Shovelers, Teals, Water pipits, Purple Gallinule (15), Water Rails (2), Stonechats, Little Grebe.

2 Dutch birders reported 2 Little Bitterns and more surprising an Eurasian Bittern flypast. No photos were available. I waited at the spot were they were seen for over I hour with no sighting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E26F4C58-FFD9-41DD-B56F-72324D1A712B.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	710187  Click image for larger version

Name:	48B9C1C1-0347-475F-857E-5D3C04699072.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	710188  Click image for larger version

Name:	58D5F06F-B406-4976-BC34-4C74063CD4A6.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	710189  Click image for larger version

Name:	F92ED3E2-665A-40A3-9F7C-6177B09E4CD8.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	710190  Click image for larger version

Name:	A5C0375E-9294-44B2-86E9-3154275C91FE.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	710191  

Old Saturday 16th November 2019, 22:33   #1233
Mike Montier

Ah those wretched Great Bitterns Mike! I have never seen one but there are very occasional sightings and I believe the last winter census revealed one just individual in flight.
They were very lucky indeed to have connected.
I would settle for hail and cold just to be a Albufera once more, I miss Mallorca very much.
Mike
Ps. Nice photos.
Old Wednesday 20th November 2019, 15:23   #1234
Mcnswiss2

Talking of which:
https://www.gobmallorca.com/ornito-p...rd-report-2018
5 euros ..worth it
Old Saturday 23rd November 2019, 11:16   #1235
Mike Montier

A couple more Snow finch have been seen, no doubt they came in with the recent cold weather front.
They are always on the highest peaks unless you get a lucky sighting lower down when they first arrive.
Juanjo took some super photos, shame he doesn’t post on here.
Also three Common crane at Maristany.
I’m back next Tuesday and can’t wait, there are lots of winter birds I need for the BigYear and I’m trying to reach 200 by the end of the year.
Mike
Old Tuesday 26th November 2019, 18:33   #1236
Mike Montier

Just back after three weeks in the UK. No birding there sadly but lots going on here to keep me busy.
Woodcock again being seen, quite a few Goldcrest around which are normally scarce, hopefully still some Hawfinch at Son Real and I’m hoping to tick off those elusive Ring Ouzel on Thursday at Randa as seen by Juanjo, Mika and Pep.
A few Brambling have also been seen including one at Albufera.
I will also do a seawatch as soon as I can just to see what’s around in these waters.
It is really good to be back.
Mike
Old Tuesday 26th November 2019, 19:51   #1237
StewB

Just been binge-watching “The Mallorca Files” on the BBC iPlayer. An entertaining watch, and fun to see familiar locations as part of the plot. However, as ever the backing tracks are a bit misleading - you get the impression that there are bee eaters absolutely everywhere in Mallorca, and I’m pretty sure there was a tawny owl call in one of the after dark scenes..

Stew
Old Tuesday 26th November 2019, 22:26   #1238
Mike Montier

Haha Stew, I love those bird bloopers, Collared doves calling in a Victorian period dramas, Swift’s screaming past in mid-winter and many more.
I haven’t seen the programme and we can’t get iplayer here so I will have to hope someone here has recorded it.
Mike
Old Thursday 28th November 2019, 18:36   #1239
Mike Montier

I spent three hours at Randa this morning. There are at least two, maybe three, Ring ouzels flying around the cisterna but they didn’t appear on the football pitch sadly, I would have liked some close views and to have taken some photos but that’s birding I guess.
As this was my big bogey bird I was hoping for a happier day but the flight views were brief and frustrating.
Predictably, my wife had a close-up of a fine male, I was over the other side.
Mike
Old Friday 29th November 2019, 22:05   #1240
Mike Montier

With all the recent sightings of Boobies in the UK and Spain, I was half expecting one to turn up in the waters around Mallorca.
Sure enough, Juanjo saw and photographed a boobie species off the north-east coast.
All very exciting and I will post further details as and when I receive them.
Many congratulations to Juanjo who has worked very hard this year and is now ahead of the game in the BigYear I believe.
Mike
Old Friday 29th November 2019, 22:06   #1241
Mike Montier

Also Maties found a Yellow-browed Warbler from Sa Roca hide, Albufera.
Mike
Old Saturday 30th November 2019, 16:28   #1242
StewB

Apologies for a non-bird post, but I know that several members have an interest in dragonflies and damselflies. I have updated the notes which I produced in 2017 and attached a copy.

There's not many changes - mainly additional records for existing species and some updated photos. I found a reference to one additional species - scarce blue-tailed damselfly, a record of a larva from 2008.

Stew
Old Saturday 30th November 2019, 17:05   #1243
Mike Montier

Excellent work Stew and thanks for posting.
I know many readers and visitors are keen to learn more and I’m sure our collective knowledge will grow over the coming years.
Thank you for collating all known sightings and putting them all in your paper, it will be a great help to many of us.
Mike
Old Saturday 30th November 2019, 17:19   #1244
Mike Montier

A great day today with Geordie Dave. Beginning at the depuradora, Albufera, David spotting a splendid adult male Hen Harrier after only a few minutes. There could be no better way to start the day as we watched this magnificent raptor quartering the reeds.
Two Bluethroat came out to play and another popped out onto the causeway briefly.
There were many Marsh Harrier in the sky and we counted eight together at one point.
Common and Green sandpipers were present, a very pale Booted Eagle alighted by the pools for a while and a few Crag martins graced the surrounding area.
Onto the main reserve where a Spoonbill rested nearby, a few Glossy ibis were around and many of the usual species were present.
Later we saw two Pintail and an Avocet.
A very enjoyable day, the company of other birders is always fun.
Mike
Old Sunday 1st December 2019, 15:59   #1245
Mike Montier

After all this dashing around the Island, Jane asked for a quiet stroll around our local park of Mondragó.
After only a few paces I was delighted to pick up a Goldcrest on call. I thought I had lost that one.
Looking at the bird I noticed another four in the same tree. It seemed that nearly every pine tree was the same with many more birds seen, at least twenty in a short walk. There must have been a very big invasion as the most I have ever seen in the park is three. I will go for a longer walk and see just how many I can log.
On leaving I saw three Common Crane flying overhead, they have been a bit scarce this year so far.
Maybe I should cover my local patch a bit more in future.
Mike
Old Sunday 1st December 2019, 21:20   #1246
Geordie Dave

Lisa and I walked up through Mortix this morning. Single black vulture and peregrine just beyond winery. Half way up the valley 2 Bonellis eagles seen in the air by a number of us. Later on at the end of the walk a single followed by a group of 4 brambling. Temperatures around 21 degrees contrast nicely with 3 degrees at home. A fabulous day in a fabulous setting
Old Monday 2nd December 2019, 11:43   #1247
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

La Gola Bird Centre

Hello!
The Ornithological Tourism Centre has just closed this last weekend. Next opening will be on February the 1st next year.
Thanks a lot for your reports and please keep visiting the park also in winter.

Here you have the last birdlist:
https://www.ctolagola.com/birdlist-l...llistat-d-aus/

Hope see you next year.

Best regards,
Cristina Fiol.
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de Pollença
Old Monday 2nd December 2019, 12:40   #1248
Mike Montier

Thank you Cristina for all you have done for us birders this year.
I know all visitors and residents agree that La Gola is a superb reserve and some great birds have been seen there over the years.
I and many others look forward to seeing you again in 2020.
Best wishes.
Mike
Old Monday 2nd December 2019, 18:48   #1249
Mike Montier

Despite the wind and rain I had a seawatch this afternoon.
I immediately saw 11 Balearic shearwaters and soon after, a group of 6 Scopoli’s shearwaters feeding quite close in.
For the next two hours I saw absolutely nothing, despite the promising start.
No other news today, I believe that the weather for the next two days will be pretty awful.
Mike
Old Wednesday 4th December 2019, 09:28   #1250
Geordie Dave

Went to Depuradora with Kevin H yesterday. Saw 2 bluethroat and a few glossy ibis. Plenty of marsh harrier in the air. The “dry pond” is gradually filling up, saw ruff and a few redshank. Went on to Albufera where we had the place to ourselves, didn’t see another person in the 5 hours we were there. Water levels are high after the rain and very few waders about. Spoonbill still on Sa Roca, plenty of teal, shovellervand marbled duck. Had 4 or 5 views of kingfisher. Went over to Bishop Hide where a female hen harrier turned up. All in all a good but cool day where the wind and rain held off. Here for another week so there’s plenty of time for something to turn up
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8A2D5FA2-B094-4E47-A633-72047822563C.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	711726  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: