Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cercococcyx lemaireae & Buccanodon dowsetti Boesman & Collar 2019

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 15:47   #1
l_raty
laurent raty
 
l_raty's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 3,341
Cercococcyx lemaireae & Buccanodon dowsetti Boesman & Collar 2019

Boesman P, Collar NJ. 2019. Two undescribed species of bird from West Africa. Bull. Brit. Ornithol. Cl., 139: 147-159.

Summary.—Taxonomically undifferentiated western and eastern populations of Dusky Long-tailed Cuckoo Cercococcyx mechowi and Yellow-spotted Barbet Buccanodon duchaillui are known to have very different voices. The cuckoo has two song types, a melodious three-note whistle and a plaintive whinnying in West Africa west of the Bakossi Mountains in Cameroon, and a much less melodious, higher-pitched three-note whistle and a much faster whinnying in Central Africa east of the Bakossi Mountains. The barbet has an accelerating song of some 6‒11 hoots west of the Dahomey Gap and a rapid rolling purr to the east. Even though in plumage and morphometrics there is no unambiguous diagnostic distinction between these two vocal groups, analysis of their vocalisations demonstrates a high degree of differentiation. We consider the western groups as species, naming the cuckoo for Françoise Dowsett-Lemaire and the barbet for Robert Dowsett.

Paper: https://doi.org/10.25226/bboc.v139i2.2019.a7
Full issue: https://doi.org/10.25226/bboc.v139i2.2019.a12
l_raty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 16:12   #2
LeNomenclatoriste
Taxonomy and Shiny hunting
 
LeNomenclatoriste's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: La Rochelle (France)
Posts: 750
Unfortunately, no pictures of both available
LeNomenclatoriste is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 18:01   #3
CaliSteve
Registered User
 
CaliSteve's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Hawai'i
Posts: 26
Photograph of the cuckoo from Ghana
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nikbor...-RysFTP-BPnwCm

Photograph of the barbet from Sierra Leone
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mja43/...-pJqCpo-xCFKT9
CaliSteve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 19th June 2019, 11:23   #4
sicklebill
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Queensland
Posts: 866
A nice touch to name them after these well known African bird experts, though I wonder how they will view the split given how conservative they tend to be?
sicklebill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 19th June 2019, 12:16   #5
l_raty
laurent raty
 
l_raty's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicklebill View Post
A nice touch to name them after these well known African bird experts, though I wonder how they will view the split given how conservative they tend to be?
The precondition that they set in 2015 to the possibility of naming the cuckoo ([here], penultimate sentence of the text) is in any case currently not met.
l_raty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 19th June 2019, 13:21   #6
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!
 
Nutcracker's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 19,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_raty View Post
.... We consider the western groups as species, naming the cuckoo for Françoise Dowsett-Lemaire and the barbet for Robert Dowsett.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicklebill View Post
..., though I wonder how they will view the split given how conservative they tend to be?
The abstract states they were named for (i.e., on behalf of, not in honour of); they must have asked the authors to name the birds for them.
Nutcracker is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 19th June 2019, 15:09   #7
DMW
Registered User
 
DMW's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,810
So, in layman's terms:

PB "Cor, Nige, these sound well different."
NC "Then they must be different species. Get yer ruler out Peter."
PB "They look exactly the same. Maybe we should do some of that clever DNA stuff."
NC "I'll overlook that comment, just never mention the D-word ever again in my presence."
PB "Sorry Nige, I don't know what came over me."
NC "I'll set my Tobias Machine to 'Species' and run the numbers."
PB "Gee Nige, it worked"
NC "It always does, Peter; it always does. I'll let you be first author."
PB "Mint"
DMW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 19th June 2019, 16:35   #8
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!
 
Nutcracker's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 19,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW View Post
So, in layman's terms:

PB "Cor, Nige, these sound well different."
NC "Then they must be different species. Get yer ruler out Peter."
PB "They look exactly the same. Maybe we should do some of that clever DNA stuff."
NC "I'll overlook that comment, just never mention the D-word ever again in my presence."
PB "Sorry Nige, I don't know what came over me."
NC "I'll set my Tobias Machine to 'Species' and run the numbers."
PB "Gee Nige, it worked"
NC "It always does, Peter; it always does. I'll let you be first author."
PB "Mint"
It looks more like that conversation was between FD-L and RD, finishing:
FD-L "This is going to be controversial, how can we get them named without being considered jerks?"
RD "That's easy, I'll ask PB and NC to name them for us, then they can take the flak"
Nutcracker is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 19th June 2019, 22:30   #9
njlarsen
Opus Editor
 
njlarsen's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: St. James, Barbados
Posts: 22,940
Quote:
The abstract states they were named for (i.e., on behalf of, not in honour of); they must have asked the authors to name the birds for them.
Or the authors were less grammatically astute than you

Niels
__________________
Support bird conservation in the Caribbean: BirdCaribbean

Recently moved to Barbados
njlarsen is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 10th November 2019, 07:00   #10
Peter Kovalik
Registered User
 
Peter Kovalik's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sp. Hrhov
Posts: 3,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_raty View Post
Boesman P, Collar NJ. 2019. Two undescribed species of bird from West Africa. Bull. Brit. Ornithol. Cl., 139: 147-159.

Summary.—Taxonomically undifferentiated western and eastern populations of Dusky Long-tailed Cuckoo Cercococcyx mechowi and Yellow-spotted Barbet Buccanodon duchaillui are known to have very different voices. The cuckoo has two song types, a melodious three-note whistle and a plaintive whinnying in West Africa west of the Bakossi Mountains in Cameroon, and a much less melodious, higher-pitched three-note whistle and a much faster whinnying in Central Africa east of the Bakossi Mountains. The barbet has an accelerating song of some 6‒11 hoots west of the Dahomey Gap and a rapid rolling purr to the east. Even though in plumage and morphometrics there is no unambiguous diagnostic distinction between these two vocal groups, analysis of their vocalisations demonstrates a high degree of differentiation. We consider the western groups as species, naming the cuckoo for Françoise Dowsett-Lemaire and the barbet for Robert Dowsett.

Paper: https://doi.org/10.25226/bboc.v139i2.2019.a7
Full issue: https://doi.org/10.25226/bboc.v139i2.2019.a12
IOC Updates Diary Nov 8

Post proposed new species Whistling? Long-tailed Cuckoo

Post proposed new species Western Yellow-spotted Barbet
Peter Kovalik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NIkon 300mm f4 af-s collar AdamW Nikon 14 Sunday 7th October 2012 18:58
Tripod Collar 31 mali Sigma & Other Third Party Lenses 0 Tuesday 17th January 2012 15:10
Tripod collar for 70-200mm f4 - will the one for 400 f5.6 fit? PatrickE Canon 5 Friday 3rd June 2011 23:09

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.22936893 seconds with 24 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 00:56.