Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hawke Frontier ED X, Celestron Trailseeker ED, Meopta Meopro HD - 8x42

Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 23:48   #1
outbackmaster

Smile Hawke Frontier ED X, Celestron Trailseeker ED, Meopta Meopro HD - 8x42

Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum and wanted to grab some feedback and user experiences on the above mentioned binoculars. Primary use would be mostly nature, general sightseeing and birding.

I cant demo these brands or models in person so thought to get some advice here on which one would be a good pick.

Thanks
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 00:30   #2
ceasar

8x42 is probably the most popular binocular format.

Determining your price range first might make your search easier.

You can also review the Allbinos rankings of 8x42 binoculars and learn a lot from the reviews. Of course the best and the most expensive 8x42s will be ranked higher. And some of them are no longer being made either.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ra...king-8x42.html

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Friday 11th October 2019 at 00:40.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 11th October 2019, 00:44   #3
outbackmaster

Yes looking all in 8x42 format. Price range would be upto 500USD. The above mentioned models are readily available here and based on some reviews I have shortlisted these 3.Im open to suggestions if there is anything better in this price bracket. Thanks

Last edited by outbackmaster : Friday 11th October 2019 at 00:48.
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 05:50   #4
[email protected]

In that price range I would look at the new Kowa XD II's in an 8x42. I recently bought the 6.5x32 and I think they are a very good value for the money especially if you like a big FOV and they are one of the lightest 42mm I have seen at 22 oz. and they are magnesium not plastic. The 8x42 has a 429 foot FOV. They are $449.00 for the 8x42. Amazon.com ships to Australia.

https://www.kowaproducts.com/BDII-XD-brochure.pdf
https://www.amazon.com/Kowa-BD-42mm-...0769544&sr=8-2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202053220
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	707269  

Last edited by [email protected] : Friday 11th October 2019 at 07:04.
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 10:11   #5
42za

Hello Outbackmaster,

I have the older Kowa 8 x 42 BDXD Prominar binocular and I find it to be very good.

You might want to look at this one as well.

Cheers.
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 14:11   #6
justabirdwatcher

In that price range, I would personally not consider any of those binoculars.

I have personally owned (very briefly) the Hawke Frontier ED-X and Meopta Meopro, and they both suffered from severe distortion, as I have so often seen with Chinese-made binoculars. I actually had two pairs of the Meopros at the same time, both new, a 8x42 and a 10x42 and they both went back the same day, just like the Hawkes.

The only chinese-made binocular in that price range I can recommend is the Vortex Viper HD. My personal favorite in that range is the Monarch 7. I think the Monarch 7 is the gold standard in that range. I have yet to see it's equal although a good copy of the Viper HD can be awfully close.
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 13:35   #7
outbackmaster

Thanks everyone for their feedback. From the online reviews I was reading so far, I understood that I could get a better performance in a less expensive binoculars when comparing it to Vipers and hence I didnt pay much attention. Are GPO's especially passion ED/Evolve ED any good?
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 13:40   #8
outbackmaster

tbanks Denco

I was considering KOWA as well but one retailer here who carries Kowa straight out said Zeiss Terra ED are optically better... well performance rating would be very subjective unless you experience yourself.

B][/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
In that price range I [i][/I]would look at the new Kowa XD II's in an 8x42. I recently bought the 6.5x32 and I think they are a very good value for the money especially if you like a big FOV and they are one of the lightest 42mm I have seen at 22 oz. and they are magnesium not plastic. The 8x42 has a 429 foot FOV. They are $449.00 for the 8x42. Amazon.com ships to Australia.

https://www.kowaproducts.com/BDII-XD-brochure.pdf
https://www.amazon.com/Kowa-BD-42mm-...0769544&sr=8-2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202053220
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 14:52   #9
[email protected]

"I was considering KOWA as well but one retailer here who carries Kowa straight out said Zeiss Terra ED are optically better... well performance rating would be very subjective unless you experience yourself."

Don't always go by what a dealer says. Remember they are a dealer and sometimes they will push you towards the binocular they have a bigger profit margin on. I know they do that here in the states with Vortex's. I have had the Zeiss Terra ED and now the Kowa's and IMO the Kowa's are much better optically especially in brightness and FOV. But try them yourself because that is the best way to determine which binocular is best for you.

Last edited by [email protected] : Saturday 12th October 2019 at 14:59.
Old Friday 1st November 2019, 20:41   #10
cottonbase

@outbackmaster

Some other's experiences of the Hawke Frontier EDX recorded here: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=380489

x42s have much better eye relief than the x32s, if that's a factor.
Old Tuesday 12th November 2019, 18:25   #11
Upland

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmaster View Post
tbanks Denco

I was considering KOWA as well but one retailer here who carries Kowa straight out said Zeiss Terra ED are optically better... well performance rating would be very subjective unless you experience yourself.

B][/b]
I spoke with another retailer who said the exact opposite. So there you go. Only one way to tell what you like better: compare them yourself.
Old Wednesday 13th November 2019, 01:42   #12
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

My 2cts on the table is that the Kowa is a step up from the Terra, esp the mechanical build and function. It also comes down to what they cost where you are located.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 13th November 2019, 07:58   #13
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
My 2cts on the table is that the Kowa is a step up from the Terra, esp the mechanical build and function. It also comes down to what they cost where you are located.

Andy W.
Based on the Kowa BD II 6.5x32 XD I am reviewing right now, I agree with you Andy. I like Terras but the Kowa is a step up in all respects.

Lee
Old Friday 15th November 2019, 14:20   #14
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

We are all waiting Lee, anxiously, to hear what you think of them.

Regards,

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: