• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finland - June 2014 Info (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
Planning now underway for our June trip to Finalnd. This is mainly a family trip to the south - Valkeakoski, Tampere, Rouvesi and camping either in Pori or Turku.

My targets are:

Pallid Harrier - Arosuohaukka
Spotted Crake - Luhtahuitti
Little Crake - Pikkuhuitti
Hawk Owl - Hiiripöllö
Ural Owl - Viirupöllö
Tengmalms Owl - Helmipöllö
Grey Headed Woodpecker - Harmaapäätikka
White Backed Woodpecker - Valkoselkätikka
Three Toed Woodpecker - Pohjantikka
Citrine Wagtail - Sitruunavästäräkki
Thrush Nightningale - Satakieli
River Warbler - Viitasirkkalintu
Blyths Reed Warbler - Viitakerttunen
Greenish Warbler - Idänuunilintu
Red Breasted Flycatcher -Pikkusieppo
Two barred Crossbill - Kirjosiipikäpylintu
Ortolan Bunting - Peltosirkku
Rustic Bunting - Pohjansirkku

Some of which are very sensitive, I understand, some of which I will find everywhere!

If anyone has any tips or info it would be much appreciated.

Rosbifs

Hi Rosbifs,

Most of those birds you can find a place called Siikalahti in Parikkala. It is on Russian border so it´s nearly 400 km from Tampere.

If you are interested to visit the Siikalahti, nick orniodesigns probably be able to advise you the best places out there. His also find the website: www.caligata.com

Tampere - Pori - Turku area I don´t know much, I've never been out there for bird watching in mind, sorry...|:(|

Thanks for the info.

Had thought about Karelia. The family were originally from that area although it's in Russia now - Viipiri (now Vyborg) and Sakola (if that's the right old money spelling). The family have been back but I haven't ever done the trip...

I'd be swimming in White Backs over there...

One place thats near 'home' is 'Tampere Lielahti Niemi' -- does anyone have any specific directions to the 'birding' area here?

Sarkkilanjärvi - about 5 years ago Citrine Wagtail bred here - are they still current or will I have to go to Helsinki? They also bred at Mietoinen but I guess that's an old record too...

Still looking to fill ion a few gaps...

My trip report from a couple of years ago may help

http://www.hows.org.uk/inter/birds/2011trip/finland/finland.htm

please to answer any specifics arising from it

Mark

Thank you Mark.

Unfortunately, it looks unlikely that we will head over to the East or the North. Have never been to the spiritual home in the South East but have been north before. We have a 4,000km round trip just to get to the relatives!!

Will keep the details though, thanks again...

Rosbifs

bump

any finns out there?

If in the Tampere area, Seitseminen national park and Helvetinjarvi national park are well worth a visit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seitseminen_National_Park

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvetinjärvi_National_Park

I found Three Toed Woodpecker quite easy to see in Helvetinjarvi, once into the old growth areas (a bit of a hike but worth it). Capercaille, Hazel Grouse, Black Woodpecker, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Black Throated Diver, White Tailed Eagle, Willow Tit, etc etc all on a hour or two's hike.

RB Fly is also here (but tougher), there should be birds like Ural owl etc, but a late evening visit may be necessary.

Thrush nightingale and Blyths occupy different habitats but I think should be quite common.

Sarkkilanjärvi is a good spot, with plenty of view points. Can't say I saw any Citrine here, but you could happily waste away a couple of hours scanning for raptors.

If you are down Turku way the woods on Ruissalo are worth a scour. I believe Grey headed and White Backed are here (though am not sure of their summer availability).

Otherwise, see if you can arrange access to Tirra http://www.tiira.fi/ and see what info pops up for you.

If you are travelling via Helsinki I know of other sites there where you would get White Backed and Grey Headed woodpeckers.

Owen

Last edited:
Thanks Pariah for the info. Interestingly my uncles summer cottage is about 15km north of Helvetinjarvi. In all my summers there we only went once! I have never been very successful with woodpeckers in Finland apart from Great Spotted and Black. I found a Black nest on Ruissalo one year then 3 months later my father parked his caravan under it and a White Backed visited one afternoon!

I have always wanted to go to Sietsemisen so thats on the cards....

If you think its awkward to you use the tiira.fi, I can look the birds that you want. But we shouldn't do it until the week (or two) before you come.

And you have to remind me a private message in time, because I am good to forget the things...3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back