• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK skylarks (1 Viewer)

socksitis

Please do skylarks in the winter lose their tuft? Have seen some larks today in a pasture along side fieldfare and mistle thrush and redwings, but I cannot decide what sort of larks these were. They did not appear to have the supercilia joining at therear of the head. As to the white sides to the tail? I could not determine that. Not very helpful - sorry

Crest is often flattened to the extent that it is hard to discern at any distance. If there were several, then any lark other than Skylark or possibly Woodlark is pretty much ruled out. All other similar lark species are vagrants which would occur singly, and all are at least very scarce if not downright rare.

So you were most probably watching Skylarks, as although you are in the right part of the world for a few wintering Woodlarks, these are still much less common. This is a good ID piece: http://www.birdwatch.co.uk/website/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=102

I guess the other confusion species are Meadow Pipit and the much rarer Lapland Bunting and Richard's Pipit, which you probably don't need to worry too much about.

Graham

I think we can rule out Woodlark, Bitterntwisted, alongside redwing/fieldfare in Devon in January. The other could be ruled out from the flight action - skylark is always fluttery, and with an onvious white trailing edge to the wing as it flutters off.

I think we can rule out Woodlark, Bitterntwisted, alongside redwing/fieldfare in Devon in January. .

Why??

It is known that some of our Woodlards are resident in southern counties and i have seen reports for this year in both Devon and Worcestershire. I have also seen lots of Redwing and Fieldfare feeding in stubble fields.

I'm not saying these birds were woodlarks but how could you rule them out so easily?

Gareth

i saw a small flock of woodlarks in rendlesham forest a couple of weeks ago they were really distinctive with the stripe joining at the rear of the head very obvious
so i would assume your birds to be skylarks or meadow pipits

Why??

It is known that some of our Woodlards are resident in southern counties and i have seen reports for this year in both Devon and Worcestershire. I have also seen lots of Redwing and Fieldfare feeding in stubble fields.

I'm not saying these birds were woodlarks but how could you rule them out so easily?

Gareth

He wont be back! and you are quite right, it was a fairly sweeping assumption.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back