• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skylarks (1 Viewer)

Zenobia

I'm new to this, and my request may seem rather trivial, but I wonder what has happened to the songbird I remember listening to and loving so much as a child in the fields around my home (now sadly new homes...).
Was it ever possible to photograph a skylark in full song (do they still sing, I wonder?)
I would appreciate a picture if anyone has one.

Love and peace

Hi Zenobia

Skylarks are a bit high up when they're singing for me to photograph, but if you click the Gallery link in Opus, here I'm sure you'll find one

D

as to what's happened to them, take a look at the graph here: http://www.bto.org/birdtrends2004/wcrskyla.htm

Ther opening line of that summary exactly coincides with my observations where I live:

>> The Skylark declined rapidly from the mid 1970s until the mid 1980s, <<

I moved into my new house in the spring of 1972 when only a few dozen new houses were being built in the area. The surrounding open fields ~ although less than 2 miles from the centre of Gloucester City ~ had a couple of pairs of Skylarks and they were seen and heard singing most days during the season within a few yards of my house. Then, many more houses were built towards the end of the decade on those open fields and no more Skylarks.

There are now several thousand houses in this and nearby areas all built on those open farmland areas previously the haunts of the Skylarks. That and more efficient farming has played a great part in their decline.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back