• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

Not posted for ages but still active...in my own little way!
Just back from walking my dogs, tawny owls calling and barn owl screeching. Little owl is regularly watching me shave in the morning - great views from bathroom window.

Paul Mc

Had my first visit to Castle Lake today with CW.
Dull weather and the birds being at quite a distance meant decent photos were never going to happen. The fact the Electricity company helicopter flew over the lake at the same height as the power cables and constantly flushed the birds didnt help either.
Still I think I got bad shots of both the Pectoral and Curlew sandpipers and a Ruff.

Attachments

• pec2.jpg
    pec2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 137
  • pec1.jpg
    pec1.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 115
  • curl1.jpg
    curl1.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 122
  • ruff1.jpg
    ruff1.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 133
  • ruff.jpg
    ruff.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 120
Castle Lake - Works SAT 22nd SEPT

Had my first visit to Castle Lake today with CW.
Dull weather and the birds being at quite a distance meant decent photos were never going to happen. The fact the Electricity company helicopter flew over the lake at the same height as the power cables and constantly flushed the birds didnt help either.
Still I think I got bad shots of both the Pectoral and Curlew sandpipers and a Ruff.

Dont worry about the quality of your images John - we all have to start somewhere ! I understand Netto have a new range of digital cameras in at the moment - they start from £9.99.
Anyway those type of pictures are ideal for use as "mystery bird photos " ;)
Looks like you have a Dunlin in there too.....?

NB.
Castle Lake Visitors may like to take note that further works will be carried out this coming Saturday from 8AM.

Cheers
SE 079 79 60 1231

A brief reminder of two ongoing projects with Durham Bird Club.

Volunteer work is ongoing from tomorrow at Castle lake Bishop Midleham anybody who wants get involved start time is 08,00hrs meet on site and at Brancepeth beck meet at 09.30 hrs at page bank car park.

Visible migration 07.00-08.00 yesterday over Harton Downhill found following (all south):

4 Pinkfeet
1 Redpoll sp
1 Stock Dove
5 Bar-tailed Godwit (along coast)
36 Carrion Crow (single flock)
44 Meadow Pipits

An adult Little Gull was feeding with Black-heads on the Leas

Bird identification assistance

I know this is a bit off track and risks upsetting a few people but i need help identifying 2 birds I saw in Croatia a couple of days ago - and is part of what a forum is about surely.

I believe the wheatear may be an Isabelline Wheatear, and the other bird behaved very much like a flycatcher and thought it was a Red Breasted Flycatcher at the time, but now I have got back and checked my bird books there is very much more red on the bird and it seems to have a white collar. (poor pic in difficult lighting and am not an expert photographer)
I would appreciate any experts help.
Thanks

Attachments

• wheater-maybe.jpg
    wheater-maybe.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2729.jpg
    IMG_2729.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Castle Lake

Had a quick look in this afternoon,had just got through the gate when a female Peregrine was spotted hammering into 300 Lapwing.
By the time i got down the bank , not surprisingly there were no waders about
, although after a while 3 Ruff,1 Greenshank and a Curlew Sandpiper appeared, no sign of Pec Sand tho.

Attachments

• bash 010.jpg
    bash 010.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 83
  • bash 008.jpg
    bash 008.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 97
A visitor to the garden this evening.

It was sat quietly for quite a while under a mahonia bush on top of the fat ball feeder. From it's bulging crop I'd say it hadn't long ago fed - though not in our garden this time.

Attachments

• IMG_8773ao.jpg
    IMG_8773ao.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_8803ao.jpg
    IMG_8803ao.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 70
Cleadon hills

A tour of the hills tonight produced a good covey of grey partridge (9 birds)feeding on the wheat stubble and also flushed a tawny owl from a hawthorn bush in the copse just after the wooden style on the footpath towards Whitburn.

Brian

Off topic I know but i saw a grey squirrel in the front garden of a house in lumley ave at 1.15pm yesterday,near the Rose and Crown,South Shields. Thats a first for me in 30 odd years of living in Marsden!

Had a look in at Hartlepool Headland today, 100+ Oystercatcher,Razorbill with 7 Purple Sandpiper back on the rocks, single Wheatear near the pier.

Attachments

• purple 010.jpg
    purple 010.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 92
  • purple 002.jpg
    purple 002.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 75
  • purple 009.jpg
    purple 009.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 71
  • purple 004.jpg
    purple 004.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Nature's Calendar Monday 1st October.

A new series of Nature's Calendar starts this Monday - ten episodes Mon--Fri 6.30pm BBC2. One episode features Seals Sands/Greatham Creek hide and I believe a couple of local birders from TBC. Dates of episodes arent given but it looks as if a week on Monday Seal Sands is featured.

Wader Lake

Good selection of wading birds atCastle Lake NR, Bishop Middleham today.

1 Pectoral Sandpiper still present
also 1 Jack Snipe
23+ Common Snipe
1 Curlew Sandpiper
1 Green Sandpiper
3 Greenshank
5 Curlew
5 Ringed Plover
6 Ruff
2 Dunlin
350 Lapwing
65 Golden Plover

2 Little Egret
several Yellow Wagtails & Sand Martins remain.

The majority of works now completed for this year.
2 gravel capped breeding islands & 2 loafing islands constructed
phragmites reed bed planted
water now being piped into "wader bay" down the bankside oppisite to the swg wks, ( being fed by a natural spring )

NB.
Please keep well away from the waters edge & stick to the rights of way thank you.

Cheers
SE

Attachments

• Pipes in 22Sept07.jpg
    Pipes in 22Sept07.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Spring piped 22ndSEPT2007.jpg
    Spring piped 22ndSEPT2007.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Delicious Spring Water 22ndSEPT2007.jpg
    Delicious Spring Water 22ndSEPT2007.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Wetting up 22ndSEPT2007.jpg
    Wetting up 22ndSEPT2007.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 22ndSEPT2007 020.jpg
    22ndSEPT2007 020.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Off topic I know but i saw a grey squirrel in the front garden of a house in lumley ave at 1.15pm yesterday,near the Rose and Crown,South Shields. Thats a first for me in 30 odd years of living in Marsden!

I they have been spotted in marine park by the park wardens a couple of times. Still suppose you wouldn't expect to see one in a garden in shields.

Woodpeckers in marine park also.

Never know what's living nearby do you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't mind"Great white shark" but I was on my way to the dell and cleadon hills the day before and as I was leaving the house a neighbour asked me if I saw any Squirrels on my travels birding,I said never.So what happens the next day I see one in the Street!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back