• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

East coast or West coast UK (1 Viewer)

I suppose everyone has their favourite habitats and favourite type of watching. That's the good thing about birding, everyone can do their own thing and get equal enjoyment.

The UK does of course have another good birding coast, the south! Mediterranean overshoots in spring, trickle down of east coast migrants in the autumn plus all the breeding and wintering birds, seabirds and yanks........ Just being a bit regionalist!!

O

At the rate the East coast is eroding it won't be long before us here in the West will have the best of both worlds - living in the West and just a short journey to the East!!!

The UK does of course have another good birding coast, the south! Mediterranean overshoots in spring, trickle down of east coast migrants in the autumn plus all the breeding and wintering birds, seabirds and yanks........ Just being a bit regionalist!!

O
I agree the south coast can be excellent for birds and it has some good reserves.

You're right on both counts! We do tend to defend our 'patch' and Norfolk does have a rather high number of scope carriers! I do love the place though, the pace of life there is great and even though the honeypots can be busy it's still easy to go out into the country and see few people but lots of wildlife. A lot of the visitors only appear during the day too so I found that the good times at either end of the day are usually pretty peaceful, especially if the weather isn't perfect - ideal for a bit of Barn Owl or Bat watching. The locals are very friendly too, I find the place very welcoming.
Reading on the Norfolk thread there are still quite alot of underwatched areas on the Norfolk coast.Birdwatchers tend to go to the hots spots like Holkam,Cley,Twitchwell,etc.I am sure birdwatchers if they wanted to avoid the crowds could find some new interesting areas to check out and find there own rarities.I think bank holidays are the worst time for birdwatching and getting round in Norfolk with all the traffic on the coast road.

I just NEED to be near the coast!!! :king:

I love Northumberland and all it's varied habitats but the western coast of Scotland DOES sound very appealing......especially as we have a couple of friends who run a B&B in the Ardnamurchan area :t: I think we MUST go up to visit them in June when we are next off ;)

Its a bit of a silly argument as it very much depends on what you want to see.

You can have the east coast for me, its all right for a twitch I suppose but for a week....!

John

To be fair John i dont think it was ever meant to be an argument just wondering out of interest what other poeple think.

You're more than welcome to stay away from the east coast if you like.

Totally agree with Martin that i'd hate to live inland though.

Totally agree with Martin that i'd hate to live inland though.

That was the deciding factor in Neil and I deciding not to move to Cumbria. We had planned to base ourselves around the Penrith area but, after much thought, we decided we need to be close to the coastline wherever we move to :smoke:

That was the deciding factor in Neil and I deciding not to move to Cumbria. We had planned to base ourselves around the Penrith area but, after much thought, we decided we need to be close to the coastline wherever we move to :smoke:

I couldnt imagine not being able to walk along the beach or cliff tops even if i'm not birdwatching and i would hate to have to travel to do a bit of sea watching.

I couldnt imagine not being able to walk along the beach or cliff tops even if i'm not birdwatching and i would hate to have to travel to do a bit of sea watching.
Hi Adam i definitely prefer coastal birdwatching to inland birdwatching.I have had some good days in woods watching Redstarts,Pied Flycatchers,Wood Warblers etc and watching Woodcocks,Nightjars,Tree pipits in woodland clearings and heaths.Also i have had excellent days watching raptors up on the moors and over forests.But you cannot beat coastal birdwatching especially at migrations times. I think i would find it hard going birdwatching inland.

Last edited:
Aha! So now we've reached the bigger question: coastal or inland?

Inland for me every time - nicer weather, nicer people and usually better birds. Sure, there's beaches and sea and cetaceans on the coast, and that's all very well and good, but you can't beat inland birding.

Attachments

• Gooseness.Akzo.19.1.07.jpg
    Gooseness.Akzo.19.1.07.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 45
  • pennington.jpg
    pennington.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Hope Carr.jpg
    Hope Carr.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 56
Aha! So now we've reached the bigger question: coastal or inland?

Inland for me every time - nicer weather, nicer people and usually better birds. Sure, there's beaches and sea and cetaceans on the coast, and that's all very well and good, but you can't beat inland birding.
There are some very friendly people in the northeast were i come from.I have noticed people tend to be less friendly down south.

Also, there was a paper in Birdwatching magazine (I think it was October 2007?) that said that statisically Staffordshire was the best birding county, coastal or inland. Staffordshire has the second highest bird list of any county (after Northumberland), the birdwatchers are the wealthiest per capita in Western Europe (ie they have better optics = better birders) and the county has more open space per square metre than anywhere else in Britain.

Staffordshire also has land in three separate national parks (Peak District, Snowdonia and Brecon Beacons) and has the most number of RSPB reserves of any county (16).

Staffordshire has recorded the 4th highest number of birds new to Britain since 1959 (after Shetland, Scilly and Kent).

More BBRC members and employees of the RSPB and BTO cite Staffordshire as their place of birth than any other county.

At its deepest point, Blithfield Reservoir is the deepest man made body of water in Britain - a staggering 176m. Obviously that doesn't have anything to do with birds directly, but the nitrogen rich waters of Blithfield are believed to be one of the reasons why so many birds are attracted to the county.

Also, there was a paper in Birdwatching magazine (I think it was October 2007?) that said that statisically Staffordshire was the best birding county, coastal or inland. Staffordshire has the second highest bird list of any county (after Northumberland), the birdwatchers are the wealthiest per capita in Western Europe (ie they have better optics = better birders) and the county has more open space per square metre than anywhere else in Britain.

Staffordshire also has land in three separate national parks (Peak District, Snowdonia and Brecon Beacons) and has the most number of RSPB reserves of any county (16).

Staffordshire has recorded the 4th highest number of birds new to Britain since 1959 (after Shetland, Scilly and Kent).

More BBRC members and employees of the RSPB and BTO cite Staffordshire as their place of birth than any other county.

At its deepest point, Blithfield Reservoir is the deepest man made body of water in Britain - a staggering 176m. Obviously that doesn't have anything to do with birds directly, but the nitrogen rich waters of Blithfield are believed to be one of the reasons why so many birds are attracted to the county.

It's the reservoirs that make Staffordshire so good. Shropshire has better and more varied habitat and more open spaces, yet it has very few reservoirs in comparison and is also renouned as one of the worst English counties for rarities (second only to Herefordshire maybe...)

Well I totally agree with you there. I think a lot of people south of Coventry believe themselves to be a better breed of person than northerners.
Luckily they don't have any impact on the birds that turn up (and infamous (former) pockets of suppression include both northern and southern locales).

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back