Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

DIY non driving bird vacation 2 spots, 2 weeks. Recommendations?

Old Thursday 21st May 2020, 16:51   #1
Fiscalshrike

DIY non driving bird vacation 2 spots, 2 weeks. Recommendations?

I am looking for 2 places to spend 2 weeks in; in January 2021. I will most likely fly in and out of San Jose and spend a few of the days there so maybe a 5/5 split between the 2 locations. I haven't been to Central America yet, but Yucatan and Ecuador. I am not a go, go, go type traveler anymore and as I have been working in hospital lab through the current 'situation', I will want an easy trip. Also am an older woman not in the peak of shape for high altitude hill birding. Tend to be a budget traveler and Canadian, so $1 is only about $.60 US today. I determined Monteverde and Arenal to be the easiest for shared shuttle bus and options of lodges that include decent birding on site. I am willing to splurge on Arenal Observatory Lodge (the cheaper La Casona rooms are still a 'splurge' in my budget) and thought to book Monteverde Reserve Lodge, but I see the latter only take bank transfers. I need something that I can cancel with no penalty in case wave 2 (or 3) means vacation is cancelled by other powers than mine. That or wait it out and see what is available closer to October or November for booking.
I would appreciate any recommendation of a reserve lodge situation that allows for birding on site,some sort of restaurant for basic meals and no need to drive. I don't mind a bathroom down the hall, but no hostel. Comfortable bed, and the best would have an inroom reading/lounge chair and some veranda seat. I am willing to hire a bird guide some days or take a tour to sites close by. I have no set bird list in mind, but I do want to have at least one canopy type bridge walk for upper story birding and animal views.
My last question, is whether Monteverde Cloud Forest is truly 'the best' location, or if there is something similar and not so highly priced if I don't stay on site. Too bad Curi-Court doesn't offer accommodations.
(I hope to visit again for other locations, but for this trip, this is the region I have in mind) Thanks for any feedback or alternate recommendations.
Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 14:36   #2
gdhunter

So your preference will be something in the mountains northwest of San Jose? If you want to mix in something a bit more lowland, Tirimbina Rainforest Lodge near Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui might be of interest. About 80 miles from Arenal.
Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 15:30   #3
Fiscalshrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhunter View Post
So your preference will be something in the mountains northwest of San Jose? If you want to mix in something a bit more lowland, Tirimbina Rainforest Lodge near Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui might be of interest. About 80 miles from Arenal.
I have looked at Sarapiqui, but making that my 2nd location requires a return to San Jose and then back out to Sarapiqui....not having a rental car means it is not an easy add on.

I see there isn't a lot of distance between Monteverde and Arenal, but I thought there was an altitude height to offer some change in birds. Am I wrong?
Thanks.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: