• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Song ID, Upstate New York (1 Viewer)

tonyflanders

Can anybody ID this song that I hear frequently near my home in New York State's Capital District? I have never seen the bird, except possibly flying from treetop to treetop too far away to ID even with binoculars.

I'm trying to attach an mp3 file, but not sure if I'll succeed, since I'm new to this forum.

Attachments

• 2020_07_12_05_17_44.mp3
    63.3 KB · Views: 29
I agree with The Bird Nuts ;)

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Song Sparrow then Common Yellowthroat with an American Robin in the background.

Cool! So the song sparrow is the one that I'm imitating one octave lower in the mp3 attached to this query? It doesn't sound at all like any song sparrow recording I've heard, nor like anything I've heard a song sparrow do while I've been watching. But I suppose birds are like that.

View attachment 2020_07_14_08_02_56.mp3

Last edited:
Cool! So the song sparrow is the one that I'm imitating one octave lower in the mp3 attached to this query? It doesn't sound at all like any song sparrow recording I've heard, nor like anything I've heard a song sparrow do while I've been watching. But I suppose birds are like that.

View attachment 732089

Yes, except it's not really whistled and a bit more harsh? and trilled at the end. There is quite a lot of variation in Song Sparrow songs.

Yes, except it's not really whistled and a bit more harsh? and trilled at the end. There is quite a lot of variation in Song Sparrow songs.

Variation within a single individual or between different individuals in the same area? This morning I thought I heard the same bird switch from the song that I recorded to something more like what's recorded under Maine at https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Song_Sparrow/sounds

Variation within a single individual or between different individuals in the same area? This morning I thought I heard the same bird switch from the song that I recorded to something more like what's recorded under Maine at https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Song_Sparrow/sounds
They definitely vary between different individuals in the same area, but I also think single individuals will sing slightly different songs as well.
Lots of recordings can be found here: https://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Melospiza-melodia?pg=2

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back