• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings from Alaska (1 Viewer)

Joe H

United States
Dear Birdforum viewers,

I am not an expert on computers or bird watching but I will try to contribute to this excellent on-line resource. I don't spend a lot of time on my computer and I travel often so please do not take offense if I am not prompt in a reply (assuming I have anything significant enough to say that would warrant a question).

My wife got me bird watching this year so my life list, my 2004 list, and my Alaska list are all one in the same. I have (I believe) correctly identified 142 different birds up here this year and the hobby is great! I'm in competition with my wife who has been doing this with her family since she was a child. Only my frequent travel throughout this great state gives me any advantage.

I found this forum while researching (of course) binocular purchases. I've visited the sight often since then and have been amazed at the incredible depth of knowledge available here. Since I've benefited so much from your insight, I felt it was only fair to "pay back" something to such a great resource. I'll try to post on the appropriate forums, reviews of binoculars I've used or own, birds of any significance I've seen, and locations in Alaska of interest to bird watchers. I must emphasize that I am far from an expert and I have noticed that there are several Alaskans who have registered as users here. If anything I say conflicts with your previous knowledge about optics, or birds of Alaska, rest assured, I am most certainly the one who is mistaken!

Thanks for having such a great site for new members of this great pass-time!

Joe H
Anchorage, Alaska

Hi Joe,
Welcome to birdforum from all the staff here and thanks for saying hello and giving us an introduction to yourself.

Glad you have found the optics section of interest, we do seem to excel in that area, with expert contributions from many people.
Just enjoy the site and don't hesitate to contribute when you get the time.
regards,
Andy

Welcome to BirdForum Joe! I hope you enjoy yourself here as much as I do. Look forward to your future posts whenever you get the chance ;)

Hi, Joe,

Welcome to BirdForum! So glad you're enjoying the site!

Can't wait to read about your birding adventures in Alaska whenever you have the time to share. I envy you your traveling around that amazing state with its spectacular scenery.

Thank You

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate way to thank you all for the gracious welcomes and greetings, but here it is. Thanks very much and I'll post more as I figure out this site. I did post a short overview of my birding year with notable birds mentioned in post # 1687 on the "How's your 2004 year list going?" thread. Take care.

Joe H

godwits..alaska to nz

Joe H said:
Dear Birdforum viewers,

I am not an expert on computers or bird watching but I will try to contribute to this excellent on-line resource. I don't spend a lot of time on my computer and I travel often so please do not take offense if I am not prompt in a reply (assuming I have anything significant enough to say that would warrant a question).

My wife got me bird watching this year so my life list, my 2004 list, and my Alaska list are all one in the same. I have (I believe) correctly identified 142 different birds up here this year and the hobby is great! I'm in competition with my wife who has been doing this with her family since she was a child. Only my frequent travel throughout this great state gives me any advantage.

I found this forum while researching (of course) binocular purchases. I've visited the sight often since then and have been amazed at the incredible depth of knowledge available here. Since I've benefited so much from your insight, I felt it was only fair to "pay back" something to such a great resource. I'll try to post on the appropriate forums, reviews of binoculars I've used or own, birds of any significance I've seen, and locations in Alaska of interest to bird watchers. I must emphasize that I am far from an expert and I have noticed that there are several Alaskans who have registered as users here. If anything I say conflicts with your previous knowledge about optics, or birds of Alaska, rest assured, I am most certainly the one who is mistaken!

Thanks for having such a great site for new members of this great pass-time!

Joe H
Anchorage, Alaska

Hello Jo...well I have been so excited about the arrival of the godwits here on our estauries in Christchurch NZ..in fact I was in touch with the Anchorage daily paper about it and I think they were going to do an article?
The birds arrived here about 10 days ago and for the first time they rang the Cathedral bells for a half hour after the firstbirds were spotted..yes..how wonderful..!!
Hve you studied this amazing bird much?

Caroline...they fly from you fair land all the way down here..I beleive tht they take off from the Yukon river delta b4 their mammoth flight...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back