• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mockingbird nest in my garage! (1 Viewer)

Clippyhed

I just read the previous post about birds nesting in a garage. These are specifically northern mockingbirds. There were 2 eggs last time I looked. Interestingly, a 3rd egg was found on the driveway (before we even knew about the nest) & it broke. Lots of yolk, nothing else that we could see. Could it have been a "dud?" Anyway, I suppose I could leave my garage door open a foot or so, when I normally have it closed, but everything I've read about mockingbirds leads me to believe that they will get really aggressive once the chicks hatch. Now, when us humans have the nerve to be in the garage, Mom & Dad Mockingbird sit on a wire above & give us dirty looks. We can live with that, but I don't know how much patience my husband will have when he starts getting dive-bombed. Is there no chance that the little bird family will be ok if the nest is moved? Probably not, but I feel compelled to ask, anyway.

While I wouldn't recommend moving the nest at all, I'd say the chance probably is better when the eggs have hatched. Often, the parents will be so drawn to the voice of the chicks that they'll follow if it's moved a short distance. Regardless, it is quite a chance to take and there is a big risk it'll fail.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back