• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inclement weather - Good luck (1 Viewer)

Good luck with the weather everyone, if you are near the coast this evening, I hope everything is ok.

Steve

I was at West Mersea this morning for a while, checking the beach hut, it might require drying out tomorrow I fear!

a flight of 5 oystercatchers went along the beach, lots of lapwings on the fields and lots of widgeon & dunlin as I crossed the strood before the midday tide, it was rather rough with the strong wind then but speaking to people near the cost it has dropped off a bit this evening.

I has a brief look at abberton but only from the sanctuary of the car, didnt see anything unusual - plenty of widgeon again, some shovellers, tufted ducks and a heron sheltering amongst the bushes. most of the geese seemed to have gone well away from the road presumably seeking shelter by the trees

We were woken up around 12.30 by a fireman saying there might be between 1 and 4 metres of water where we are (we're about a mile from the river) and they wanted us to evacuate - we stayed put as we have animals. Never seen so much activity in the road in the small hours of the morning - cars leaving,police cars up and down the road, the helicopter was overhead, people milling about generally, and I did hear that there were Army trucks in Maldon just in case.

How much water did we get? Absolutely none, thank God!

All the water seems to have been in Norfolk, Cley and Salthouse completely trashed and under many metres of water, tragic.

I went to Mersea yesterday morning, tide mark along the strood was about 5ft above the road level (it often makes 2ft over on spring tides). the tide mark on my beach hut was up to the underside of the decking - the inside stayed dry by about 2 inches. Many were not so lucky and a few had moved.

On the birding front there were lots of grey plover on the beach (far more than I normally see - 50+), the usual turnstones, a few oystercatchers and plenty of dunlin in the air. On the strood there were lots of widgeon in the channel and 100s of dunlin on the mud banks, plenty of lapwings there on the saltmarsh and on the fields nearby

Yeah, I saw the pictures of Cley Marshes. Totally underwater, I've only been their twice but it's amazing seeing the hides surrounded by so much water.

some pics of west mersea here and some bird reports, looks like I missed a mediterranean gull and sanderlings on the seaview beach:

http://merseawildlife.blogspot.co.uk/

but there again maybe I mistook the sanderlings for grey plovers having looked closely at my pics (see my photo), should never assume! A lot more than quoted in the other report though.
I was too interested in the beach huts at the time - the blue one with the cream doors was one I thought about buying before settling for one at Seaview, glad my wife changed my mind but even that one got off lightly compared to some others.

Attachments

• 7549.JPG
    7549.JPG
    499.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 7551 one we nearly bought.JPG
    7551 one we nearly bought.JPG
    655.4 KB · Views: 128
Those are definitely sanderlings :t:

I realise that now having looked at the photos, a lesson learnt.:eek!: I always take photos where I can to confirm i.d.(especially when I'm not sure). It's the photography aspect that interests me most..

On this occasion I took the photos from a bit of a distance and just assumed because I had seen grey plovers the previous week that these were the same. I only looked close this morning after I had posted partly because I saw the post on the Mersea site re. sanderlings- sorry folks

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back