• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guide to Birds of Brazil (1 Viewer)

Oregonian

Is anyone familiar with this book? It looks nice.
Rolf Grantsau, Guia Completo para Identificação das Aves do Brasil - Vol 1 e 2

I have Ber van Perlo's guide, as well as Ridgely's Passerines, and illustrated checklist of non-passerines, (and Sick's Birds in Brasil), but can you have too many?

We're off to Rio in a couple weeks, and a friend there asks if we have Grantsau's book.

I looked at it, and it does indeed look very nice. The problem for me is that it is totally in Portuguese. I was hoping for at least English names in the descriptions, but I didn't see any. My Spanish is okay, but my Portuguese is terrible.

You may have seen this already, but this site has a good review (in Portuguese), but you can look at lots of the pages:

https://www.ventoverde.com/site/guia-completo-para-identificacao-das-aves-do-brasil.html

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the link. I see it has Latin names, which I should learn anyway, but haven't set to memory yet.

Jeff

I haven't either used or even seen this book but I have Grantsau's book on Brazilian hummingbirds (out of print) which is excellent. If the high standards of that book are present in the new book I would recommend it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back