• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm going to Cape Verde (1 Viewer)

Cobbler87

Hello has anyone been to cape Verde? If so Is there anthing I should keep my eye open for? I am planning on taking my camera with me and if I get any good pictures in will post them on here
thanks for your time to read my post

Last edited:
Hi Cobbler and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Have a great trip.

Hi Cobbler

I've moved your thread to Information Wanted, where more people are likely to see it.

You might like to have a look at the Opus article, which has quite a lot of information on it.

I went to Boa Vista in 2011. I'm assuming you will be staying in one of the Riu hotels. Both have their advantages but the Touareg is very close to Curral Velho. This small islet about a mile east of the hotel is home to a colony of Brown Boobies and the final 2-3 Magnificent Frigatebirds in the Eastern Atlantic. I had breeding Cream-coloured Coursers between the hotel and the islet. Around the hotel are Alexander's Kestrel, Spanish Sparrow, Hoopoe Lark, Bar-tailed Lark and Black-crowned Sparrow-Lark. There are Iago Sparrows everywhere and in the scrub there are Spectacled Warblers.

About 500 yards east of the hotel there is a settling pond for the water treatment and this has held vagrant american waders regularly as well as wintering European waders (I had Curlew Sand, Whimbrel, Sanderling, Ringed Plover, Turnstone, BW Stilt, Dunlin etc). Osprey is resident on the island breeding on the hills in the centre and apparently there are a couple of pairs of Egyptian Vulture. I saw a few distant Cape Verde Shearwaters amongst a distant passage but wasn't able to ID anything else for sure.

Up near the Riu Karamboa there is a small stream and lake which holds all sorts of waders and herons (has held Black Heron, Black-capped Heron, Intermediate Egret etc). There are some Guineafowl in the area and a Cattle Egret roost. A good search of the waders will likely turn something good up. Also Red-billed Tropicbirds breed to the north of the capital in late winter. They weren't present in August when I was.

Hope this helps.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back