• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

eastern bluebird behavior (1 Viewer)

leewee

new hampshire birder/photographer
i was out today looking for american pipits (a new life bird for me, found many, took me two days searching cut corn fields) but that is a different story...i say some birds perched on a wire the way ive see kingfisher in florida....evenly spaced along the wire 30-40 feet off the ground....they would swoop down in to the cut corn field, then fly back up to the wire...i was confused as to what kind of bird it was cause the posture was that of a thrush and ive not seen them hunting in this way...when the light hit it right the blue jumped out at me this was little help at the time cause my scope was fogged up and my binocs specled with rain...after i cleared my binocs i saw it in detail and it was clear as day what it was...
i dont observe bluebirds often, do they hunt in this fation normally...or is this weird...
over all it was a great day of birding in the rain, and i found the pipits i so wanted to see...though my visit was cut short by dark clouds and heavier rains coming in...good day and good birding to you....lee

Hi leewee,

Yes, this is very common feeding behavior for Eastern Bluebird. They like to perch with a vantage point of their surroundings. That is why people who put up bluebird nesting boxes need to put them in an open area with cover (trees/bushes) not too far away. Bluebirds like open areas, like pastures, cemeteries, etc.

You mentioned that sitting on the wire reminded you of the Belted Kingfishers, evenly spaced. I immediately thought of the time my wife and I were down on the Tamiami Trail in Florida. We saw the kingfishers perched on the wires over a ditch all along the highway.

Good Birding,

Larry

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back