• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is BF axed by the great wall? (1 Viewer)

thirudevaram

Trapped in mist ***s
I could not connect to BF within the great wall, looks like the change of servers got it axed.

Anybody else facing the issue?

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're having problems accessing the site. I've run diagnostics from Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou and Hong Kong and everything suggests that you should be able to access the site fine from there.

There seems to be a number of articles suggesting that there have been issues - http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/22/us-china-internet-idUSBREA0K04T20140122 for example - that might have been affecting you. Can you provide me with any more information? Is it today that you have been having problems or is this something that was happening a few days ago?

What do you see instead of the site? Do you get any sort of error page?

Ollie

Hi Dev. I often have issues. Usually coming back an hour or two later finds it mysteriously resolved. Even weirder ..... I never have a problem accessing the site from my iPad or iPhone, even when the desktop is down at the exact same time (like now) !

A VPN usually resolves the issue but it's then painfully slow (well actually everything's slow here but it's even slower) !

Hi Ollie - I don't know if you've had a fiddle with anything but BF is absolutely flying here today - I haven't had speeds like these for months ! Either that or somebody was listening in and has withdrawn their censorship ;)

EDIT. As of 14.00 today it's back to the VPN since sans-VPN fails to load.

Last edited:
Hi Ollie,

Thanks for looking into this. Looks like i missed the short interval Kevin had, i still could not access BF. The error was generic, "Browser can't find the server", "server not found" , "page can't be displayed" depending on the browser, so i did a tracert and got this "Unable to resolve target system name birdforum.net." Ping result also din't resolve the host address.

No direct access today. VPN only.

EDIT By 15.00 BF is up and working again, for how long I don't know.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul. I've switched VPNs to the Astill OpenWeb (I'd looked at this before but without a recommendation I was dubious) as Go Trusted (which I've used for years) has become very unstable - luckily it is payable month by month so nothing lost).

Astill OpenWeb is working great - and on many sites it's fast, very fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back