• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Opticron website design (1 Viewer)

pete_gamby

Birds? What Birds?!
After nearly three years in the making, we finally have a new website design:

https://www.opticron.co.uk

Compared to the previous site there is more technical information published for binoculars, monoculars and scopes. It is also properly SSL secured and will work properly on tablets and phones. It's almost like we're operating in the 21st Century :)

I'd welcome any feedback on the new site either in this thread or via PM.

Enjoy!

Cheers, Pete

Pete, Congratulations.
It seems I will take time to get used to the new site: this maybe just inertia!
A suggestion. Please see the screenshot below.
It is very difficult to know whether you get to the Discovery roof-prism models
by clicking on the upper or the lower picture.
A simple remedy is to have the rectangle a bit bolder and enclosing the caption.
(BTW, I am thinking of the new Discovery 7x42 for woodland use
as a smaller, far less costly alternative to Leica Ultravid 7x42.)
Best wishes.
Adhoc

Attachments

• optcrn01.jpg
    optcrn01.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Pete, Congratulations.
It seems I will take time to get used to the new site: this maybe just inertia!
A suggestion. Please see the screenshot below.
It is very difficult to know whether you get to the Discovery roof-prism models
by clicking on the upper or the lower picture.
A simple remedy is to have the rectangle a bit bolder and enclosing the caption.
(BTW, I am thinking of the new Discovery 7x42 for woodland use
as a smaller, far less costly alternative to Leica Ultravid 7x42.)
Best wishes.
Adhoc

Adhoc

When I open up the binoculars page, with photos of all the bino models arranged in a matrix, I see immediately from the top row of photos that the caption for each model is underneath each photo.

In addition, to access further information about any model you can click on the model name/caption, you don't have to click on the photo although this works too.

And BTW I think you would like the Discovery 7x42 for the purpose you describe.

Lee

Lee
Using Ms. Windows 7 Pro. and Google Chrome the
"window" is set to less than the full width of the screen.
(In this matter I prefer a narrower FOV!)
Most (by far) websites do not have the present problem.
Thanks for your review of the Discovery 7x42.
Now (/still) waiting for Frank's!
Adhoc

Might I just request a little more information? I am about to buy my first scope, looking at Opticron ES80 v4. I don't know which lens to buy with it out of the ones recommended, and there's nothing on the lens pages to tell you exactly what the differences are for a non-technical person. For example, why might you want a zoom, what difference does it make?

The recommended eyepieces for the ES 80 would be either the 40862 HDF T zoom or 40936 SDL v2 zoom.

Of the two, the SDL offers a wider field of view at some magnifications, is sharper and has better contrast and is fully waterproof (the HDF T is rainshower proof but not fully sealed like the SDL).

A fixed magnification eyepiece will tend to deliver a brighter and wider view than a zoom at the same magnification.

The advantage of a zoom is that you can use low magnification to scan for your target bird and then crank up the zoom to see more detail.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Pete

Why did you move production of the Imagic TGA to China but keep the same price? They don't feel as good as the Japanese version and the view isn't as good.

Because due to various factors the price would have had to increase had production been kept in Japan. The components used are identical and QC is done by the same company.

HTH

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back