• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boa Vista (1 Viewer)

philflam

Currently here on holiday (6/2/19)and today I had a Female type Bufflehead on Rabil Lagoon a couple of kilometres south of Sal Rei.One on Sal before Christmas so might be same one.

Phil

Currently here on holiday (6/2/19)and today I had a Female type Bufflehead on Rabil Lagoon a couple of kilometres south of Sal Rei.One on Sal before Christmas so might be same one.

Phil

Thanks for mentioning it. I'm thinking of making a short trip there in the next few days. Did you get the sparrow, swamp warbler and swift? It looks from ebird as if the former is easy enough. The latter two are easier on Santiago Island but they certainly do occur on Boa Vista. So I have to decide if I'm going to stay on Boa Vista or head across to another island for some of the time.

Presumably the Razo Island Lark is going to be impossible without a very substantial investment of time and money.

The female Bufflehead was on Rabil Lagoon in late January too - we had it on the 27th and two Polish birders a couple of days before that.

Razo Lark: you need to get to Tarrafal on Sao Nicolao and charter a boat for at least six hours. We paid 800 Euros for a fishing boat big enough to take ten of us, and the Poles I think paid 400 for a catamaran to take the two of them. When you get to Razo go past the tropicbird and booby cliffs then get close in and look for the larks on the low cliffs.

Steve

And the swamp warbler is only really feasible on Santiago. The Botanic Gardens and the area around there is a good bet (also for Yellow-browed Warblers !) and is the only place we saw Bannerman's Buzzard.

Steve

And the swamp warbler is only really feasible on Santiago. The Botanic Gardens and the area around there is a good bet (also for Yellow-browed Warblers !) and is the only place we saw Bannerman's Buzzard.

Steve

Thanks. I've decided to stay on Boa Vista though. Too much trouble to travel around the archipelago for a couple of small brown birds. But I'll definitely go birding around Rabil and in the desert of Boa Vista. If anyone else will be on the island and would be interested in joining me, get in touch.

The Bufflehead is still here. No Swamp Warblers but that is unsurprising. Haven't seen any swifts either. Plenty of Cape Verde Sparrows, Coursers, Spectacled Warblers, Sparrow-larks etc.

Here's a photo of the Bufflehead.

Saw quite a few swifts in the end, mostly over the area upstream from the Rabil Lagoon. I'm assuming they would have been Cape Verde Swifts?

Saw some Curlew Sandpiper too.

Attachments

• IMG_1193.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back