• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mountain Hare? - Russia (1 Viewer)

You have to stop this video immediately as for some reason, it's only two seconds long. It was taken by our trailcam and appears to show a Mountain Hare, bottom left corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnspyzaVhkk&index=7&t=0s&list=PLJQimV2945yxvpplNeSA9EmMyiptNQXGk

Is it a Mountain Hare or Brown Hare, I thought that the ears were black tipped but that could be shadow?

Mountain Hare. Ears are small, animal is white.

In Finland they are found in lots of habitats including forest. Even in Britain they are active nocturnally: most Mountain Hare roadkill occurs overnight.

Brown Hares are also active overnight and I used to see them wandering through the woods at Little Brickhill whenever I went for Lady Ams, so they too have wider habitat use than generally thought.

John

Cheers John, had no idea that they occured ar sea level.

Most of Finland is not that high and they seem to be everywhere including the lowland. I think its more to do with climate. In the Cairngorms etc they are above a height limit because its up there that the climatic requirements are met.

John

Most of Finland is not that high and they seem to be everywhere including the lowland. I think its more to do with climate. In the Cairngorms etc they are above a height limit because its up there that the climatic requirements are met.

John

They occur at sea level in Ireland, I understand that the introduced brown hare displaces them from the lowlands in Great Britain.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back