• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gordon ramsey eating rooks (1 Viewer)

When you watch Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, in which he's actually quite thoughtful and seems genuinely caring, you realise that his shouty-sweary persona is just an act. That's his schtick, and that's what they pay him for. A bit like Jeremy Clarkson, really. If either of them were half as obnoxious, bullying and misanthropic in real life then they wouldn't be married with families!
True, but it's still an unneccessary and unpleasant act. How are we supposed to discourage bullying among the young when it is apparently rewarded in role-models (which, depressingly, he probably is).

True, but it's still an unneccessary and unpleasant act. How are we supposed to discourage bullying among the young when it is apparently rewarded in role-models (which, depressingly, he probably is).

The "OFF" button on one's TV set if you think the content is likely to offend or have a negative influence on any of the viewers or young people, particularly if you've previously experienced the programme. Better (IMO) to be doing something practical / or failing that, go birding.

Gordon Ramsey is on Dutch television as well; I watched it once. Nice but boring after ten minutes. It's a role he plays, his programme nicely fits in with all the other dreadful s**t that is terrorizing our commercial network.

you've seen one you've seen them all.

The great DONOR SHOW - hoax seems to be an all time low even Gordon can't equal.

Greetings, Ronald

His creased up face makes me chortle. It's like he's been sleeping face-down with his head wedged in a corner, and he's just woken up.

The "OFF" button on one's TV set if you think the content is likely to offend or have a negative influence on any of the viewers or young people, particularly if you've previously experienced the programme. Better (IMO) to be doing something practical / or failing that, go birding.

How is this comment in any way relevant to my point about honours you quoted?

Brian - it was my response on the posting to your message about bullying / role models and the effect on others. The quote regarding honours was by another bf member, and not commented by I.

Last edited:
It was me that refered to honours initially and that was the reward I refered to in the quote. He still got the OBE as a result of the popularisation of that persona whether you or I had the telly on or not.

Pigeon breast is wonderful meat. The carcases make great stock for soup also, so nothing goes to waste.

Perhaps the recipe was at fault?

Last edited:
'Stringy'? Maybe they were serving Carrion Crow by mistake.

I got it Andrew. Some of the hypocritical posts are equally as laughable.

This reminds me of Sophie Grigson's programme where she ate Ortolan Buntings, another species in desperate need of 'controlling' I don't think.

Dave J

are you lot arguing over the person or the subject.

G.R is a great motivator/chef and if you don't like him, don't watch him.

as for eatting rooks, if you eat meat or go fishing your a hypocrite regardless wether you watch birds or not.

at least they were eatting what they shot and not just for sport!

are you lot arguing over the person or the subject.

Who's arguing?

G.R is a great motivator/chef and if you don't like him, don't watch him.

I don't.

as for eatting rooks, if you eat meat or go fishing your a hypocrite regardless wether you watch birds or not.

I don't

at least they were eatting what they shot and not just for sport!

They're not. They're doing it for a sensasionalist TV programme just like C4 showing pictures of Princess Di dying in a car crash.

Dave J

hi brian
thats the whole point of this post..
its as bad as the royal family(and i am a royalist) following traditional hunting and shooting themes..do we need to carry on the old styles and traditions and promote them to this scale? hunting like ramsey goes back centuries..for food..and like most high up chefs are always looking for something different to serve up...but i think the kids should be shown to live with nature and support it not eat it..

hi brian
its as bad as the royal family(and i am a royalist) following traditional hunting and shooting themes..do we need to carry on the old styles and traditions and promote them to this scale? hunting like ramsey goes back centuries..for food..and like most high up chefs are always looking for something different to serve up...but i think the kids should be shown to live with nature and support it not eat it..

Couldn't disagree more. I'd much rather the kids were shown how to eat natural food (provided it is sufficiently abundant as in this case) than not (in which case they'll continue to eat crap without thinking about it - crap produced unnaturally in ways that produce far worse consequences for the environment than a few woodcock or rooks here or there).

hi brian

Where is the dividing line? Is it OK to eat a legally-shot rook? No?

What about a legally-shot pheasant? No?

Or a legally-shot duck? No?

Or a farmed duck (like the one we had on Sunday)?

Or a farmed chicken?

Venison? Beef?

Or any meat at all?

Where does nature end and "we" start? As far as I'm aware we are part of nature and it is part of our nature that we should eat meat, farmed or otherwise. Those with a vegetarian principle may disgree, that is their right and I respect it, but for the rest of us, the majority, remember that all the meat we eat, beef, chicken, pheasant or rook has been killed for us first.

It still will taste good and do you good.

The only TV chef I have any time for is good old Keith Floyd. But on eating juv rooks, anyone have qualms about veal ? Same thing in my book.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back