• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wildlife hospital's funding plea (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

What concerns me particularly about this, is the location of this Hospital. A few miles from Pagham Harbour, one of the most important nature reserves on the South Coast for migrating waders, grebes, ducks, raptors etc. Also, at Siddlesham, we have resident birds of prey including Buzzard, Sparrowhawk and Kestrel along with water/marsh habitat that attracts long-distance migrants often rarities, which as we know, are often in poor condition if they have even made it to our shores.

If this hospital should close, it will be a great loss, not just for the staff and volunteers, but to an important wildlife resource in the area.

Have emailed the RSPB to see if they can help by raising awareness etc

If people could donate a little pocket change or work for companies that provide matching donations that would help. If your company has products that could be used by the hospital that would help as well. It's an extremely difficult time for wildlife hospitals, so please help if you can.

Look, I'm sorry guys but this is not a good use of your charity pennies. When we're not talking globally endangered (and I'm thinking about the numbers of Mauritus Kestrel, Seychelles Magpie-robin etc, not our BOP) conservation is about habitat retention, management and improvement, not the survival of individuals. Wildlife hospitals are for Enid Blyton readers.

Give the money to RSPB, the Wildlife Trusts, BTO, ABC/OBC - not St Tiggywinkles.

John

Look, I'm sorry guys but this is not a good use of your charity pennies. When we're not talking globally endangered (and I'm thinking about the numbers of Mauritus Kestrel, Seychelles Magpie-robin etc, not our BOP) conservation is about habitat retention, management and improvement, not the survival of individuals. Wildlife hospitals are for Enid Blyton readers.

Give the money to RSPB, the Wildlife Trusts, BTO, ABC/OBC - not St Tiggywinkles.

John

Cheers John - nice post and purely subjective to the point of being insulting

Btw: the Wildlife hospital isn't concerned about conservation, habitat retention, management, etc etc it's a hospital, it aids and rehabs injured birds! Nothing wrong with that. Why don't you donate some of the petrol cash you use to drive around if you're concerned worthwhile funds are being inappropriately diverted from well meaning individuals to the detriment of the environment?

Some of the work the Brent Lodge clinic is envolved in: It's primarily birds btw but Hedgehogs (ie. Mrs Tiddlywinks) also benefit from care provided

http://www.brentlodge.org/index.php?link=59

Last edited:

John

A potentialy damaging comment, especialy for anyone contemplating donating money to the appeal. Only had a brief skim through the website but it seems the hospital out of necessity has made a significant effort itself to correct ..or at least ease it's financial difficulties.

A shame to see such wildlife trusts/hospitals viewed in such a way, and wrongly compared to more global efforts, surely there is enough (or I would like to think so) of those 'charity pennies' swilling around to benefit all such causes both on a local and global level.....the general public likes to hold onto it's money though!

Would also add that these things sometimes tend to be taken for granted in the UK, I'm sure there are many parts of the world where there are no such facilities ~ I reminded of Jos's frustration of not being able to find a willing vet to help out with some Stork chicks not long ago, I believe he was lucky enough to find one organisation that specialized in the treatment of rehab of wild birds.

Matt

Last edited:
I'm sorry John if you feel that it's pennies not worth spending, but I don't think you realize what wildlife hospitals across the world do for conservation. Since most, if not all wildlife hospitals document the species and the cause for hospitalization, this information shows trends and possible changing conditions in a bird's environment, and it also documents the staggering amount of human/ wildlife related incidents. If it were not for the wildlife rehabilitation agencies, you would not be aware of the plight of birds or other wildlife. These organizations are at the frontline of seeing rapid changes in the environment, and they are the first to respond by documenting the problems of each individual animal. From there, other agencies will respond and collect information from wildlife hospitals, and determine whether the problem is a natural event, or man made.

The RSPB can't do it alone. What you need to know is that the numbers are huge and no one agency can handle the flood of quiries to help orphaned, injured, sick, or oiled birds. Having a wildlife rehabilitation center in a local community means that the animal will have access to professional care and survivability will increase.

I'm sorry John if you feel that it's pennies not worth spending, but I don't think you realize what wildlife hospitals across the world do for conservation. Since most, if not all wildlife hospitals document the species and the cause for hospitalization, this information shows trends and possible changing conditions in a bird's environment, and it also documents the staggering amount of human/ wildlife related incidents. If it were not for the wildlife rehabilitation agencies, you would not be aware of the plight of birds or other wildlife. These organizations are at the frontline of seeing rapid changes in the environment, and they are the first to respond by documenting the problems of each individual animal. From there, other agencies will respond and collect information from wildlife hospitals, and determine whether the problem is a natural event, or man made.

The RSPB can't do it alone. What you need to know is that the numbers are huge and no one agency can handle the flood of quiries to help orphaned, injured, sick, or oiled birds. Having a wildlife rehabilitation center in a local community means that the animal will have access to professional care and survivability will increase.

Well said Ayasuda

I know my local Wildlife Hospital does a terrific amount of research and other good work!

Thanks Jodd! I come from a state with over 115 licensed wildlife rehabilitation centers and the Dept of Fish and Game reported that over 80,000 animals were received by these centers just last year. Somebody made a difference last year.

I am not saying its not nice to mend broken animals but that the situation of whole species is so parlous that it is an inappropriate use of scarce resources to waste them on fixing individuals of common species. This applies especially to developed countries like UK and USA where a few quid to mend hedgehogs could more usefully be ploughed into e.g supporting Orangutan rescue (so foreign wildlife hospitals for genuinely endangered species I support, OK?) or albatross conservation or rainforest reserve creation.

80000 animals through centres in USA is not necessarily making a difference if the species involved are common. Supporting conservation where it is most needed is making a difference.

We are never going to have all the resources we need for everything and that inevitably means we need intelligent application of what we do have - and that must mean a triage process that favours biodiversity at the expense of saving individuals. I try to focus my charity spending and that to me means no saving humans and no pink fluffiness.

John

Let's close down the NHS then as humans are certainly not a threatened species. In fact all that money could then be spent on much more worthwhile projects as you say. A few less humans would also help I guess ;)

When I indicated that 80,000 animals were rehabilitated that was just in the state of California alone. How critically near extinction does a species have to be before people realized their lifestyle has an impact on the environment. Why wait to until things are critical. History has shown that change takes time, and for some animals time is to late. For the animals that are still free and have places to call home it is important that we proactively ensure their well being. One way to know if there is a problem in the environment is to examine the reasons behind the rescue. It's like a stone thrown in calm waters, it starts a ripple that helps to keep us on our toes about the general health of a population of wildlife.

There are those of us who made a proactive choice to making sure that there are wild animals for the future, we can't save them all, but we can help by contributing our time, and our personal resources. Recovering species also need their advocates and supporters, but it is hard mountain to climb. How each individual helps is a personal choice, not anybody elses to decide.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back