• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Air gun attack on four seagulls (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

Be even better if we could wipe out the moron's that use them against birds & animals!!

Not too contraversial I hope!!

Neil

Sad reflection of the times we are now living in and this kind of thing is extremely common,although, it always happened.

Until the people doing this (if found) are given the correct punishment, it wont get better.

I would like to see them treated as if they had done it to another human being but hey, even that sucks.

Shoot them.................... just give me the gun.

Realistically, I don't think there is any appropriate ''punishment'' for these individuals ..except for what is already in place?

Education and prevention are probably going to carry more weight if any progress is to be made with reducing these crimes. Not what some members want to hear ...just my opinion.

Matt

Banning air guns is not the way. Why should tens of thousands of pepole loose there fun because of stupid morons! It didnt work with hand guns did it! and it wont work with this. Fully enforcing the law might help but i tend to think some pepole you cant curb. If they didnt have a slug gun it would be a crossbow or bow and arrow or even a big stick with a nail in it. I dont realy have a solution but punishing the inocent is no way to go.
Mayby sticking them in stocks in the town center might be a place to start though!

Using these weapons is illegal on any public land, obviously i have nothing against law abiding people using them ,but the only people i`ve ever seen with an Air Gun in 20 odd years round my way is braindead teenagers up to no good.

Whatever you do and legislate and enforce, there will always be someone who finds a way to show that we still have morons in our society... and i mean, four seagulls are not worth making a fuss about.....

Whatever you do and legislate and enforce, there will always be someone who finds a way to show that we still have morons in our society... and i mean, four seagulls are not worth making a fuss about.....

Sorry but i think you are 100 PERCENT WRONG!!! Take that attitude and where do you draw the line. Sounds like you are delibrately stiring it up. If you think that its not worth saving sea gulls or its not important enough to be concerned about i think you might be in the wrong place!!!

Sorry PandionMlt it might be my age but I sometimes find that I miss what I understand is known as "post modern irony". :)

Do you think I might have done so with your post or should I be seconding Dafi's advice?

What i am saying, and have been saying for a long time is that the lives of individual birds is of no consequence compared to the survival of species. Your anger should be better directed at those individuals, enterprises and methods that are systematically decimating avifauna, than at some stupid yob taking pot shots at a couple of pests.

Realistically, I don't think there is any appropriate ''punishment'' for these individuals ..except for what is already in place?

Education and prevention are probably going to carry more weight if any progress is to be made with reducing these crimes. Not what some members want to hear ...just my opinion.

Matt

Some friends and I came across this type of incident when we were teenagers when we caught two lads shooting baby blackbirds in a local wood,we certainly educated them and with that type of punishment certainly prevented it happening again,one of the culprits is now a well respected doctor the other a teacher.

What i am saying, and have been saying for a long time is that the lives of individual birds is of no consequence compared to the survival of species. Your anger should be better directed at those individuals, enterprises and methods that are systematically decimating avifauna, than at some stupid yob taking pot shots at a couple of pests.

I was hoping you were being ironic.

Your first sentence goes without saying.

Your second is imo nonsense no matter how long you have been saying it. Labelling something as a pest is no justification for gratuitous cruelty and decrying it as such does not prevent also opposing more systematic destruction.

Two seagulls died, and another two were injured, after they were shot with an air gun on the Kent coast.

More from BBC News...

I have to admit I feel a whole feeling of anger the way any person no matter who decides to use defenseless animals as a source of amusment for whatever reason.
Seagulls have a right to live and breed like any other other animal. They have the right to move around without being used as gun bait by some of our modern societies brain dead, uneducated people who have guns illegally I am sure of that

In the news item it states that is seagulls are seen as pests in modern society. Well modern society only have themselves to blame for that for creating that problem in the first place.

Dropping half eaten big Macs and bags of fish and chips on the ground outside (and that includes Supermarket carparks) creates a larger problem, and human beings are to blame for that, and not the Seagulls.

So Seagulls should not be presecuted for one being Seagulls (and they are successful too) and two being blamed for causing problems by living far too close to humans, so the two clash. Three is they are not only seagulls, but living creatures and they have a right to live 100% per cent.

That is my view on things here :t:

Last edited:

Sadly, it is attitudes like this that makes me want to puke.

We do not want to see yobs shooting any bird period and you, although, entitled to your opinion, do not belong on a wild bird site.

Pardon me for caring about all birds,common or otherwise.

Originally Posted by PandionMlt

I wonder if that would be the same attitude if you had just travelled 200 miles to see an Audouins gull only to find that it had been shot along with three other 'pests'.
p.s. I am an authority on these 'pests' as i work in St Ives, Cornwall!

tell your MP that you wont vote for them unless they bring in a bill to get these guns banned,they will soon listen.
Its not just birds,its humans,cats dogs (well anything that moves).only last week I read in my local paper of 2 cygnets being shot.

Hmm, and when so many individuals are shot that the species is no longer viable (the Passenger Pigeon is a good case in point, people thought there were plenty of them, killed them with no regard for the consequences and we all know the rest), what happens then?
Today's stupid yob could become an adult with no respect for anything; and god forbid, said stupid yob could even grow up to be part of one of those enterprises that decimate avifauna with the same respect for avifauna he showed when a stupid yob.

Oh and I'd venture to say that the stupid yob is a far bigger pest and menace than the gulls ever know how to be.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back