• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x32 HG vs Zeiss Conquest 8x30 vs Swarovski 8x30 SCL (1 Viewer)

DavidT

I am just about to order a pair of binoculars for general, pretty basic work. I have been looking at these three- Nikon 8x32 HG (old type £379), Zeiss Conquest 8x30 (£300) and Swarovski 8x30 SCl (oltd type £439). It is a difficult choice with them all in the same price bracket from Warehouse Express. I am really at the top of my budget. I am curious as to what you think. My inital feelings are to go for the Nikons as they seem very rugged and will last a lifetime. The Zeisses seem plasticy; while I have only played with the new Swarovski version, the front focus knob of the old ones looks awkard. The Zeisses had a pronounced barrel effect at the edges while the others didn't. The Zeiss seemed to have the most colour fringing the (new) Swaros the least. I am concerned about servicing and support if ever needed as Zeiss are not the best in the microscope world- I am not sure this translates to the sports optic world...

In April I bought a pair of Nikon 8 x 42 HGL's after much testing of the competition at various events. At this time Wharehouse Exp. had sold out of the batch of 8 x 32 HG's or I would probably have purchased those.

My wife was also impressed by the 8 x 42's but found them to heavy, so we continued searching for something suitable to replace her Leica 8 x 20 compacts. A couple of months ago we attended an event at Rhydale in the lakes and were able to test many 8 x 30/32's and both the Nikon HG and HGL side by side. Till then she had favoured the Leica Ultra's, but the 8 x 32 HG really outshone the others and the close focussing was better.

They were on special promo price with a couple of lightweight Nikon stools thrown in for £399 and we bought them.

Since I have had many an opportunity to compare them against mine (8 x 42 HGL) and I actually prefer the 8 x 32, they are almost impossible to seperate except in very low light conditions.

Our vote are obviously for the Nikons, the focussing action is a dream, precise and smooth, optically they are superb, no colour fringeing and sharp right across the field of view no so called "sweet spot" and yes they are rugged.

My opinion, your choice, only criticisms is 1,the strap replaced by a wide neoprene type, 2 the case, my wife bought a cheap small camera bag which is perfect, 3 rainguard, awful design and left in box never use them anyway.

All the best

Stewart

PS David check out the link to a similar thread also running at present

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=39357

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Stewart, its sounds like my initial feeling is the one to go with. I note from the Nikon brochure that the Nikon 8x32s have a wider field of view than the 8x42s (136 vs 122m) which seems odd consider the larger front objective of the 42s! I don't fancy the weight of the 42s either.

I recently sold a Swarovski 8x30 SLC and replaced it with a Nikon 8x32 Venturer/LX. IMHO, the Nikon is heads and shoulders above the 8x30 SLC in every category but weight...the view is sharper, the focus is better (let alone the placement of the knob), and the price is unbeatable.

Thanks all, I really appreciate the help. I found the other threads too and decided that the Nikon 8x32 HGs were the best value for money for me. I was nearly tempted by a nice pair of 7x42 Leica BAs at £445 but they didn't close focus.

They are still expensive and if my wife finds out .....

Anyway, so far they are super and everone who has looked through them are amazed at the quality of the image. I am very pleased. I have already lost a lens cap as they don't fit very well. Nikon will give me a replacement though, so that's great service. They really feel bomb proof and are good with and without glasses. Low light performance is better than I expected but I have nothing to compare it with. So far CA hasn't been an issue but the lighting around here has been flat coz of the rain. There is a little barrelling if you scan a straight edge up and down but it is not enough to make you feel seasick like other, cheaper bino's I tried.

I am sure that I have have a good tool that will help me and my 9 year old daughter learn more about the wonderful world of birds for years to come...

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back