• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australian Moths 2019 (1 Viewer)

Atropos

Well slightly later than I would have liked but I am now up and running again as my new black bulbs have arrived, the layout of the garden in our new house is such that had I tried to fire up my MVs I would have been lynched by two or three neighbours. The new black bulbs whilst less effective when compared to the MV are more discrete and allow me to trap again.
The first couple of nights have been quite promising with 40+ species each night. The available date for the NT is even worse than for Queensland - on the face of it 70-80% of what I have recorded so far are new for the Territory as there seem to be no published records but I suspect that this is more a reflection on the lack of recorders and the availability of records rather than a true indication of species status.
Here are a few highlights:
Dichromia quinqualis (Erebidae; Hypeninae) - a species I have recorded once in Cairns
Unknown Erebidae - absolutely no idea as to genus for this one...
Hypocala toana (Erebidae; Hypocalinae) - a new species for me. Have caught a couple of individuals each night I have trapped so far
Imber tropicus (Sphingidae) - one of five species of hawk that I had last night and a new species for me.
Meyrickella (Erebidae; Hypeninae) - this is similar to Meyrickella torquesauria that I caught in Shannonvale but the white markings are a different shape; this may just be natural phenotypic plasticity but all of the published photos for torquesauria look to be identical so given that the next closest record for Meyrickella is in fact mine from Cairns, a mere 1100km to my east I wonder if this could be a different species.

Attachments

• Dichromia quinqualis 02 03 19 (2).JPG
    Dichromia quinqualis 02 03 19 (2).JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN4864.jpg
    DSCN4864.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Hypocala toana 01 03 19 (6).JPG
    Hypocala toana 01 03 19 (6).JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Langia tropicus 02 03 19 (1)-horz.jpg
    Langia tropicus 02 03 19 (1)-horz.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Meyrickella 01 03 19 (2).jpg
    Meyrickella 01 03 19 (2).jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 28
Work keeps getting in the way of posting on here so my apologies for the gap between posts. The new trap site is I think going for quality instead of quantity which is fine, and is averaging around 40 species a night.
Here are a few more from the last week:
Aporocosmus lamprodeta (Crambidae; Spilomelinae) - a scarce species on the sheet when I lived in Queensland, here it I see it on the sheet every night I trap
Crocidolomia luteolalis (Crambidae; Glaphyriinae) - only seen this a handful of times so a nice one for my new garden
Neargyrioides aglaopis (Crambidae; Crambinae) - a new species for me
Pycnarmon cribrata (Crambidae, Spilomelinae) - a new species for me
Nippoptilia (Pterophoridae) - as with all my Plumes the ID comes from Donald Hobern who told me it was an unknown species of Nippoptilia, they have tried unsuccessfully to get a DNA sequence from one from Qld but as yet have not got an ID for it.

Attachments

• Aporocosmus lamprodeta 06 03 19 (1).jpg
    Aporocosmus lamprodeta 06 03 19 (1).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Crocidolomia luteolalis 10 03 19.JPG
    Crocidolomia luteolalis 10 03 19.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Neargyrioides aglaopis 09 03 19 (3).JPG
    Neargyrioides aglaopis 09 03 19 (3).JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Pycnarmon cribrata 05 03 19 (2).JPG
    Pycnarmon cribrata 05 03 19 (2).JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN5645.JPG
    DSCN5645.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 6
A few more from the last week:
Aloa costalis (Erebidae; Arctiinae) - a new species for me
Psilogramma exigua (Sphingidae) - my second new Sphingid species within a week.
Sorolopha cyclotoma (Tortricidae; Olethreutinae) - one of two very similar species of Sorolopha that occur in Australia, although neither has any published records for the NT
Sterictopsis inconsequens (Geometridae, Geometrinae) - a new species for me

Finally a non moth but one of several Longhorns that have appeared at the sheet and one the is quite widespread and variable Coptocercus trimaculatus

Attachments

• Aloa costalis 10 03 19 (4).JPG
    Aloa costalis 10 03 19 (4).JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Psilogramma exigua 05 03 19 (6).JPG
    Psilogramma exigua 05 03 19 (6).JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Sorolopha cyclotoma 09 03 19.jpg
    Sorolopha cyclotoma 09 03 19.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Sterictopsis inconsequens 08 03 19 (8)-horz.jpg
    Sterictopsis inconsequens 08 03 19 (8)-horz.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Coptocercus trimaculatus 06 03 19.jpg
    Coptocercus trimaculatus 06 03 19.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 3
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back