• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Identify Birds In DatÇa Peninsula (1 Viewer)

dancing48user

Discussion thread for Category:Turkey. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Hello

I am staying near the beginning of the Datca Peninsula from Wednesday 5th to Monday 17th June. I am a member of the RSPB in the UK. Although I know a bit about birds, I am not an expert

I am looking for pictures of birds in the area so that I can try & identify some of them

Can anyone direct me to a good website with pictures & names in English please?

Also can anyone recommend one or two good places to go to see birds near here, or if there is a local group, or any local activities. I am close to the D400 road, not far too far from Hisaronu

Thank you if anyone can help me - Clive

Hi again Clive

OK... I've moved your post to a more appropriate forum for your question, so hopefully someone with the expertise you require will be along soon to help you out.

The Opus has an article for Kos, which is not too far from Datca Peninsula, so many of the birds listed there should probably be seen on that peninsula too.

If you go down to the Check-list there is a load of links that you could click on for each individual bird with information about them and pictures (with more available to view in the Gallery if you go down to External Links and click on the Gallery Search. For instance, this is what you will find for Black-crowned Night Heron

I do hope this helps.

Thank you (I’m not sure of your name?). I really do appreciate you helping me whilst I am trying to learn how to use the website

Under “Forums” do I look under “New Posts” or “Today’s Posts” for the “Opus” subject you mention with the article on “Kos” please?

And then should I be searching in the far right “Forum” column for the “Opus” subject? (I found a subject about the Greek Islands, but not Opus yet ... I’ll keep looking

Then there’s a little drop down at the top which says “Search Forums”, which I don’t think I can investigate until I’ve finished this message now?

I’ll now also try your bird identification suggestion. In the meantime, by Googling “Pictures of birds in Turkey” I found a website “Birds of Europe” which has a section for Turkey with 391 pictures & species, grouped by type of bird ... Raptor, warbler etc. Each picture of each species then takes you to a description, habits etc, & also more pictures ... Male bird, female, juvenile etc.

With thanks again & kind regards - Clive

Hi Clive (my name is Delia).

Under “Forums” do I look under “New Posts” or “Today’s Posts” for the “Opus” subject you mention with the article on “Kos” please?

The 'blue words) I've given you are links, such as this one for Kos, just hover over the words and click on them, you will be taken to the pages I'm talking about..

Sorry, I think I confused you and should have said, perhaps, alongside the Birdforum name. There are a lot of tabs, starting with Home, then Forums., then Gallery etc. (Opus is one of those tabs).

If you click on "New Posts", this will show you all the new posts that you haven't yet read. "Today's Posts" will show you all the latest posts.

NB New Posts won't show you any of your threads if there hasn't been a reply, the system presumes that you have read your own thread, as you wrote it!

The drop down for Search Forums, just gives you a little box into which you can type a word or two to see if there are any threads containing the word. The word has to be longer than 3 letters.

The Opus is our own encyclopaedia of birds, and places you can see them, all over the world. (This is one of the tabs at the top too.) There are also some other useful pages, such as Topography and a Dictionary of bird-related words.

Hope you find this useful.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back