• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Japan and Cambodia, Lynx (1 Viewer)

Hi Andy, when you get the Japan book and have had a chance to look through it, I would be grateful if you could let me know whether you would recommend the Lynx one over the Helm one or visa versa.

The two titles are pretty much similar apart from the illustrations in the Lynx which are of a higher standard IMO lovely, bright and clear, especially Warblers.

There really is little between the two, the only thing I don't like about the Lynx is the QR codes which accompany every species account but I suppose that's the way we're heading now, aiming to make hard copy, connectable with apps.

The Lynx hard cover isn't suitable for the field, anyone aiming to use it this way, I'd recommend the flexicover.

Last edited:
Brazil is sorely needed. I would say Argentina as well but it sounds like that guide is actually finishing, ~15-20 yrs later. Mexico has a new guide underway but years out. Apparently Steve Howell is potentially working on a revision as well so there is a for sure but years away effort and a nebulous perhaps revision to the old guide.

Could someone with a copy of the Cambodia book possibly post lists of the 15 (existing and “new”) endemics & near-endemics that it includes (with the species the new ones have been split from)?

Thanks

Birds in bold were targetted by us in 2006 before any splitting so we knew about those but only got the Minla.

I won't go through the whole book as there is no actual list but obvious ones would be

Cambodian Laughingthrush
Cambodian Tailorbird
Cambodian Blue Robin (from White-tailed) but no one else splits it AFAIK.
Cambodian Flowerpecker, from Fire-breasted but again, no one else splits it AFAIK.
Plain Minla from Blue-winged, no one else splits it AFAIK.
Chestnut-headed Partridge
Giant Ibis
White-shouldered Ibis
Mekong Wagtail

If you send me a pm with your email, I can try and send you a download that came free with the book, likewise, Japan.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back