• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

[Winter] Wrens and an English Winter (1 Viewer)

davercox

Dave Cox
Supporter
Did a couple of Atlas TTVs in Devon on Wednesday, and didn't record one single Wren in three hours' hard counting.
It's now dawned on me (I am a bit slow sometimes) I haven't seen or heard a Wren ANYWHERE in the last couple of weeks.
Have they failed to get through the cold spell we had in Dec and early Jan ?
(I remember they crashed completely in 1963 but this winter hasn't been anything like that, yet.)

Everyone else in NW Europe still got their Wrens OK ?

There are loads of them about near me.

Didn't see many this morning later on but I've been seeing plenty about early morning just after dawn. Maybe they were just having a rest at the times you were looking?

Haven't seen one in my garden recently (is a very infrequent visitor) but did see one at my local reserve a week or two back - was feeding on turned soil from ditch workings and calling away. Very nice! :t:

Thanks folks. Of course Sodd's Law dictates that, having posted this, I've started seeing Wrens in Dawlish again. But certainly fewer than usual.

we have one wren that has come back to us, we did have quite a few before the cold snap, so seeing one coming back is sad, but atleast we got one, we're only about an hour from dawlish id say, just up the road from slapton and kingsbridge

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back