• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (5 Viewers)

A Little Ringed Plover was the 15th wader species for the year and a Whooper Swan brought the month list to 94. Also seen were 1 Pink-footed Goose, 6 Goosander, 3 Avocet, 2 Ringed Plover, 1 Black-tailed Godwit, 2 Redshank and 2 Mistle Thrush.

Highlights today were the Whooper Swan which was still on the potato dump but it does get on NP when disturbed, 3 Avocet, circa 100 Golden Plover, 2 Ringed Plover, 1 LRP, 3 Redshank, 6 Dunlin and Tawny Owl calling.
Also reported were 1 Great White Egret out of the heronry roost at 0630, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Mediterranean Gull NP, 1 Bearded Tit NRP and a Brambling at the feeders.

Quick dash down North Pit tonight to see the Whooper . Still on the potatoes with the Mutes. On the way back 5 Ringed Plover, 1 Dunlin, 1 Oystercatcher, 2 Redshank and only 8 Golden Plover on JW.

Starling numbers still on the increase with a software count of 10,000 in the murmuration tonight. Both Peregrine and Sparrowhawks forcing them into contorted shapes. First time I’ve ever seen a large group driven into the water. Most flew straight out but some were so saturated that they had to swim to the bank. Great White Egret was in the roost when I returned to the car park at 6.30pm.

Steve

Attachments

• Who.jpg
    Who.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 76
Mediterranean Gull on the North Pit. LRP, 4 Ringed Plover, 3 Avocet, 7 Dunlin, 2 Redshank and a Black Swan on the JWs. Whooper Swan on the potatoes.
Cheers
Steve

Mediterranean Gull on the North Pit. LRP, 4 Ringed Plover, 3 Avocet, 7 Dunlin, 2 Redshank and a Black Swan on the JWs. Whooper Swan on the potatoes.
Cheers
Steve

Not much to add to your list, 38 Goldeneye were on the Dosthill side and the Med Gull has a coloured leg ring but too distant to read, my wader count was 6 Ringed Plover and 8 Dunlin.

I know this is a bird forum, but you may be interested to know that there was a Monkjack deer in the wood by the Rookery this evening. Good view of GWE in the roost. Regards Jeremy

This Evening

North Pit - Whooper, Med Gull and 2 Redshank. Only the FBI could read the Med Gull ring from my photo. Black Swan in the Potatoes.

JW - 4 Ringed Plover, 15 Golden Plover, 3 Avocet, 2 Redshank & 1 Oystercatcher.

Silt Pool - Starlings in Murmuration (count of 7193 from picture taken 15 mins from end and groups arrived in this period so 8500 is probably a more realistic figure)

GWE in Heronry roost.

Attachments

• Med1.jpg
    Med1.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Who3jpg.jpg
    Who3jpg.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Who4jpg.jpg
    Who4jpg.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
East Scrape was the place to be this evening. When I arrived there were 3 Black-Tailed Godwits, 3 Avocet, 3 Redshank, 3 Dunlin, 7 Ringed Plover and 1 LRP. When I returned back that way the Dunlin had gone but the LRP’s and Godwits were now at 4 apiece. A single Curlew flew from JW and appeared to come down on NP.

Up on North Pit I took hundreds of pictures of the distant Med Gull with the coloured ring but none of them were good enough to decipher a single letter. Also there were 15 roosting Goosander.

A single Sand Martin flew West along Silt Pool as I was waiting for the Starling Murmuration which unfortunately didn’t happen. The birds started to form up but then a Peregrine and Sparrowhawk simultaneously entered the bunch and only about 2000 birds returned in 3 small groups.

Plenty of Little Egrets still roosting in the Heronry but no sign of the GWE up until when I left at 6.34pm.

Attachments

• Avo1.jpg
    Avo1.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 65
  • BTG.jpg
    BTG.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Dunlin.jpg
    Dunlin.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 64
A good selection of birds were around today including the following, 1 Pink-footed Goose, 1 Black Swan, 5 Oystercatcher, up to 5 Avocet, 60 Golden Plover, 1 Ringed Plover, 6 LRP, 4 Black-tailed Godwit, 6 Redshank, 1 Dunlin, Med Gull. 1 Swallow flew south. House Martin and Wheatear were reported.
2 Sand Martin were seen yesterday.

Eventually after spending most of my afternoon in the Lookout I've managed to read the ring on the Med Gull which is H9A4. This was ringed in Hungary as a chick in 2013 and has been seen in this country in 2014 and 2015. See link below:-

http://bagawildone.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/hungarian-colour-ringed-mediterranean.html

You did well to read that. Congratulations.
There is another link to the bird seen at Topsham in Devon in Nov 2014, it's good to see the changes in the birds plumage over the years.
http://2birdtheory.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/colour-ringed-med-gull.html

Last edited:
Got onto the reserve just as the rain was easing. The river is very high and a lot of water is pouring in. The water coming into the inlet pipe is up over bridge and the path to the hide was only just passable. The paths up through the wood and the bridleway are OK though.
10 Lt Egret were where the ponies normally are. A Sand Martin, 5 Black-tailed Godwit, 2 LRP, Redshank, Dunlin, 10 Shelduck and 2 Oystercatcher were on the JWs. The Med Gull was still on the North Pit along with just 3 Avocet, another 2 Redshank and 2 more Oystercatcher. The Black Swan was on the adjacent field. On my way back through the woods there were 3 Chiffchaff - spring has sprung! Oh, and 2 Lesser Redpoll on the feeders.

Happy easter

Steve

Last edited:
By the way Steve - I don't know how you managed to read the ring on the Med Gull, did you digiscope it and blow it up or did it come closer? Even on X60 magnification I couldn't read it.

Steve

By the way Steve - I don't know how you managed to read the ring on the Med Gull, did you digiscope it and blow it up or did it come closer? Even on X60 magnification I couldn't read it.

Steve

Steve

No I had tried digiscoping on two previous occasions and it just didn't work. In the end it was just scope on full magnification, waiting until the light was right and concentrating on 1 digit at a time. It never appears to move from that island so no it didn't get any closer and it wasn't helped yesterday by a pair of Peregrine which constantly put the Gulls up.

Steve

Steve

No I had tried digiscoping on two previous occasions and it just didn't work. In the end it was just scope on full magnification, waiting until the light was right and concentrating on 1 digit at a time. It never appears to move from that island so no it didn't get any closer and it wasn't helped yesterday by a pair of Peregrine which constantly put the Gulls up.

Steve

As Roy Castle used to say "that's dedication"!

Got onto the reserve just as the rain was easing. The river is very high and a lot of water is pouring in. The water coming into the inlet pipe is up over bridge and the path to the hide was only just passable. The paths up through the wood and the bridleway are OK though.
10 Lt Egret were where the ponies normally are. A Sand Martin, 5 Black-tailed Godwit, 2 LRP, Redshank, Dunlin, 10 Shelduck and 2 Oystercatcher were on the JWs. The Med Gull was still on the North Pit along with just 3 Avocet, another 2 Redshank and 2 more Oystercatcher. The Black Swan was on the adjacent field. On my way back through the woods there were 3 Chiffchaff - spring has sprung! Oh, and 2 Lesser Redpoll on the feeders.

Happy easter

Steve
All I can add is 1 Swallow, 50 Golden Plover, 3 LRP, 1 Ringed Plover, 2 Dunlin and a Common Gull.

I noticed yesterday that the RSPB have got a pump on the New Reed Pool but it wasn't running. It reminded me that some of the Drayton Bassett Pits veterans (oldies) have told me in the past that this used to be a very productive pool when the water levels were historically lower. I've got a vague memory that one or two decent birds have been found on there - can anybody recall what they were?

Steve

I noticed yesterday that the RSPB have got a pump on the New Reed Pool but it wasn't running. It reminded me that some of the Drayton Bassett Pits veterans (oldies) have told me in the past that this used to be a very productive pool when the water levels were historically lower. I've got a vague memory that one or two decent birds have been found on there - can anybody recall what they were?

Steve

I seem to remember that Little Stint was seen but can't recall anything rarer but it did attract many common waders, it will be worth watching.
Today I expected the water levels to have dropped but they were even higher, the east scrape on JWs had disappeared as had most of the waders apart from 2 Avocets. I didn't bother going down to NP.
Highlights were 25 Goldeneye, 1 Goosander, 3 Water Rail, 1 Snipe, 1 Jack Snipe, 1 Common Gull, 5 Sand Martin and 3 Chiffchaff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back