• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (2 Viewers)

Illegal Fishing

Some of these people are taking large fish out of the lake, like carp to sell onto other lakes for profit. No doubt they will be there all night tonight.

Regards, John

94 species have been seen so far this month with Grey Partridge, Sparrowhawk, 2 Raven, Garden Warbler, Goldcrest, Dunnock and Reed Bunting new today.
So far 72 species have been recorded today on the All Dayer but most of the waders have left with the high water levels.
Geoff

is there a list anywhere? I went for a walk today and would love to compare/add if possible.

Richard
Grey Partridge, Pheasant, Greylag, Canada G. Mute Swan, Shelduck, Gadwall, Wigeon, Mallard, Shoveler, Teal, Pochard, Tufted D, L.Grebe, Gt Crested Grebe, Grey Heron, Little Egret, Cormorant, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Kestrel, Hobby, Water Rail, Moorhen, Coot, Lapwing, Snipe, Green Sand. Ruff, Black-headed Gull, LBB Gull, Stock Dove, Woodpig. Kingfisher, LS Woodie, GS Woodie, Green Woodie, Magpie, Jackdaw, Rook, Crow, Raven, Marsh Tit, Coal Tit, Gt Tit, Blue Tit, Swallow, House Martin, Cetti's W. LT Tit, Willow W, Chiffchaff, Sedge W, Reed W, Blackcap, Garden W, L Whitethroat, Whitethroat, Goldcrest, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Starling, Robin, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Pied Wag, Mipit, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Bullfinch, Reed Bunting. 73 species.
Missed Jay, Skylark, Sand Martin, Wren, Blackbird, Song Thrush and Yellowhammer.
Hope you or others can add to the list.
Geoff

Hi Geoff

I can add Jay, Sand Martin, Wren and Blackbird. Also not sure if Feral Pigeon would count too?

How long were you there for today?

Cheers :t:

Midddleton Lakes

Grey Partridge, Pheasant, Greylag, Canada G. Mute Swan, Shelduck, Gadwall, Wigeon, Mallard, Shoveler, Teal, Pochard, Tufted D, L.Grebe, Gt Crested Grebe, Grey Heron, Little Egret, Cormorant, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Kestrel, Hobby, Water Rail, Moorhen, Coot, Lapwing, Snipe, Green Sand. Ruff, Black-headed Gull, LBB Gull, Stock Dove, Woodpig. Kingfisher, LS Woodie, GS Woodie, Green Woodie, Magpie, Jackdaw, Rook, Crow, Raven, Marsh Tit, Coal Tit, Gt Tit, Blue Tit, Swallow, House Martin, Cetti's W. LT Tit, Willow W, Chiffchaff, Sedge W, Reed W, Blackcap, Garden W, L Whitethroat, Whitethroat, Goldcrest, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Starling, Robin, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Pied Wag, Mipit, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Bullfinch, Reed Bunting. 73 species.
Missed Jay, Skylark, Sand Martin, Wren, Blackbird, Song Thrush and Yellowhammer.
Hope you or others can add to the list.
Geoff

Hi Geoff,
Saw Jay, Skylark, Sand Martin, Wren, Blackbird, Song Thrush also Mistle Thrush and Ringed Plover.

Regards, John

Middleton lakes

Hi Geoff

I can add Jay, Sand Martin, Wren and Blackbird. Also not sure if Feral Pigeon would count too?

I bet Geoff went back out again, the other groups count feral pigeon I had a group of 25 Racing Pigeon through, can't count them though.
Where did you see this Bird Dave it would put our Day count from 82, I believe to 83.

It looks like the final count will be 84 species, I think it would be stretching it somewhat to count Bahamas Pintail, but the English list I use has feral Pigeon and Bar-headed Goose on it. I don't know if Steve C or Jack M had a go this time, didn't see them around. The new hide should be open from next Wednesday, so that may make a difference to the next All Dayer and if they sort out the flooding problems then we might get some waders to stay.
I hope everyone enjoyed the day.
Geoff

Hi Geoff

Hi Dave, I was there from 0830 til 1450, longer than expected and I didn't go back for another session, too shattered. You didn't get any Owls then?
I'm now off to Lincs for a rest.
Geoff

I had something similiar with a group of the so-called fisherman a couple of years ago, litter, loads of hassle etc. They had parked a few hundred yards away - they did'nt do it again after having to change 2 tyres...........;)

Laurie:t:

Please find attached a summary for the Autumn All-Dayer from the four sites I have details of (Middleton, Belvide, Upton Warren, Sandwell Valley); I will add Venus Pool if the list is forwarded to me.

Attachments

• All-Day Totals.xlsx
    14.4 KB · Views: 62
Middleton Lakes

It looks like the final count will be 84 species, I think it would be stretching it somewhat to count Bahamas Pintail, but the English list I use has feral Pigeon and Bar-headed Goose on it. I don't know if Steve C or Jack M had a go this time, didn't see them around. The new hide should be open from next Wednesday, so that may make a difference to the next All Dayer and if they sort out the flooding problems then we might get some waders to stay.
I hope everyone enjoyed the day.
Geoff

To increase records on Saturday this would have been possible, I would suggest vis mig from dawn Dosthill lake bund, there was a pasage of Yellow Wagtails Saturday I noticed this myself just after dawn, I was nearby. Feeding station on the west of the North pit this would attract Yellow hammers, will contact RSPB staff on this. Look for Owls after dark, more participants, Upton and Belvide take it more seriously.
It's fun on the day but a bit of a roulette wheel, a better judge of a Reserve would be a Year List and a breeding Bird list.
If it had not rained Friday morning causing flooding the next day, we would have had Black-tailed Godwit and Common Tern I'm sure, however it's no good going on about if's, as I said the day bird race is like a roulette wheel.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Middleton Lakes

I had something similiar with a group of the so-called fisherman a couple of years ago, litter, loads of hassle etc. They had parked a few hundred yards away - they did'nt do it again after having to change 2 tyres...........;)

That's O.K Laurie if you have no assetts (hide) nearby, the RSPB does.
Ladywalk NR recently I was told motorbikers were thrown off the Reserve they retaliated by burning Sainsbury's hide to the ground.

Regards, John

Yes - hide-burning seems to be in vogue with a number having received similiar attention across the region. Similiar can happen to narrowboats if you happen to confront a certain type of person. As a NB owner you have to weigh up your response:C

My 'incident' was at FensPools where there is now nothing to burn down as the boathouse went up in smoke years ago.

I would'nt have made the Muddleton one out of wood, time will tell....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back