• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark Morph Buteo (1 Viewer)

Vipers

Brunswick Birder
Whilst visiting Circle B Bar Reserve in Central Florida on the 23rd Oct I noticed a dark morph Buteo kettling with the vultures and other raptors. Being new to birding in Florida I just assumed it was a dark morph Red-tailed Hawk and it wasn't until I was reading my Sibley Guide that night, that I realised that dark morph Buteos are quite rare in Florida.

According to Sibley the only dark morph Buteo that occurs regularly in Florida is the Short-tailed Hawk. I was just wondering how accurate this is and how often birders in Florida actually see dark morph Buteos?

It would be good if birders in Florida could report these dark morph Buteos on this thread to help build up a pattern.

I see dark morph Short-tailed Hawks in southern Florida frequently (about 50% of Short-tailed Hawks I see are dark morph) from around September through March. They should all be south of Lake Okeechobee by now, though.

Carlos

Can you exclude a Snail Kite, Gary?

Hi Stonechat.

Yes it was definitely a Buteo, dark body and under wing coverts, pale barred secondaries and primaries with dark trailing edge and fingers. Unfortunately I can't remember the tail pattern, I think it was pale with a dark subterminal band.

I just checked Ebird. Yes could have been a DM Short Tail. One reported on 11/2 and 11/4 at same location. Always a good find. We are lucky to have several nesting pairs over in Pinellas County, FL

I just checked Ebird. Yes could have been a DM Short Tail. One reported on 11/2 and 11/4 at same location. Always a good find. We are lucky to have several nesting pairs over in Pinellas County, FL

We spent a day at Fort de Soto. What a superb place!

Feel very lucky to have Ft De Soto just 20 min from home. You should come back in mid to late April for spring migration

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back