• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (4 Viewers)

This morning from 05:25

Coney Meadow: Barn Owl, singing Reed Warbler amongst the dawn chorus

Porter's Mill: Singing Willow Warbler and Reed Warbler, 2 Greylags over.

Tapenhall area: Singing Common Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler, 2 Yellowhammers over, 2 Coot

Copcut Lane (bridge over railway): Singing Willow Warbler and Common Whitethroat.

Today is my last day at work for a couple of weeks so I should be able to cover the patch more extensively. Hopefully, the migrant floodgates are just about to open - we will see. ;-)

Thanks Mary.

Unfortunately, no rush of migrants this morning - just a very modest sprinkling.

Reed Warblers at Coney Meadow, Porter's Mill and Mildenham.

Sedge Warblers at Tapenhall and two near Linacre bridge.

Willow Warblers at Mildenhan, Linacre and Tapenhall.

Two Common Whitethroats near Tapenhall and one at Middleton Bank.

A few Swallows

A pair of Mandarins, a pair of Gadwalls, Coots, Skylarks, a few Meadow Pipits over, Goldcrests, Coal Tits, etc.

When the sun came out so did the butterflies whoch included Orange Tips and Speckled Woods.

My first visit to Coney meadows yesterday 3pm-5pm. INteresting site, nice variety of birdlife. Singing blackcaps, common whitethroat, chiffchaffs. Red legged partridge and swallows in field west of river. Goldcrests, nuthatch, possible reed warbler, green woodpecker, kestrel, buzzard and one unidentified raptor, ravens, grey wagtail, possible redwing.

Cuckoo Coney Meadow - new for the year. Singing from High Park area.

Cuckoo showed well a while later in dead trees along the river after being chased by a Magpie.

Last edited:
The Cuckoo was heard a couple of times this evening.

A flock of hirundines over Westwood but none roosted at Coney.

A slight increase in Reed Warblers and Willow Warblers today. Both present at Coney.

Mandarin drake at Mildenham. A pair of Gadwall at Tapenhall.

Good numbers of Willow Warblers this morning - 13+ singing between Porter's Mill and Hawford, 2 singing near Martin Brook farm and one singing along Copcut Lane.

Sedge Warblers at Coney Meadow, 3 between Tapenhall and Mildenham and two near Linacre bridge.

Several singing Reed Warblers at Coney Meadow with others at Porter's Mill, Mildenham and Hawford.

Two Common Whitethroats at Tapenhall and one at Middleton along the railway still.

Swallows widespread.

Little Owl between Egg Lane and Jacob's Ladder and 3 Yellowhammers in the area.

4 Gadwall (3 drakes) over Mildenham plus Tufted Duck.

Grasshopper Warbler singing in scrubby area between the river and canal at Tapenhall - same place as last year. New for the year.

Cuckoo Porter's Mill singing and showing well in tree on terraced pasture by car park.

Lesser Whitethroat behind Tapenhall farm still.

Last edited:
Three Wheatears (2 males) in sown field just north of Knights Grove woodland. This is a new site I've only just started doing because it looked so promising.

Three Wheatears (2 males) in sown field just north of Knights Grove woodland. This is a new site I've only just started doing because it looked so promising.

Couldn't find the Wheatears but plenty of Yellowhammers and Skylarks.

Also noticed a Larsons Trap complete with Magpie in the far corner of the unploughed maize field next to Tapenhall Pool.

Hi Phil,

When I left the Wheatears were mainly around the large dung heap / soil heap at the far end of the field but near the road giving good views.

Saw a Mink at Salwarpe - could do with someone trapping those!

Cuckoo recorded today at Ladywood, Salwarpe and Porter's Mill.

One male Wheatear still present this evening in sheep field acrss the lane from where they were earlier.

Also recorded today:

5 Greylags, 4+ Whitethroats, Reed and Sedge Warblers, Ravens, Grey Wags, a few Meadow Pipits, Willow Warblers, Swallows, Nuthatch, Coal Tit, Goldcrests, lots of Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps, Grey Herons, Cormorants, Skylarks, 5+ Yellowhammers.

Yellow Wagtail over Egg Lane calling - new for the year.

Three Lapwings earlier. Yellowhammers and Linnets.

Two Great Crested Grebes and drake Mandarin at Hawford on the river still plus a few Sand Martins with the Swallows.

Swift over towards Westwood - new for the year.

Things seem a little mixed up this year as I haven't even recorded House Martin on the patch yet!

Just a few very brief bouts of gropper reeling this evening but it seems a lady birder who was leaving as we turned up had better luck (about 7:30 pm).

Tawny and Little Owls calling around Porter's Mill as we left.

Female Wheatear still near the dung heap.

Lesser Whitethroats at Coney Meadow, Tapenhall and Egg Lane.

Cuckoos at Tapenhall and Salwarpe.

Pair of Mandarins over Tapenhall plus pair of Gadwall.

Newly fledged Grey Wagtail yesterday evening at Salwarpe being fed by parent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back