• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor near Antwikwaa/ Ghana mid of March (1 Viewer)

bubo_bubo

The image of a Raptor was shot at Antwikwaa/ Ghana mid of March
Walking in this nice open forest area near Kakum NP we saw a raptor early in the morning. The group noticed an immature Red-chested Goshawk and in the beginning I was thinking of this species. Later I recorded an African Baza resp. African Cuckoo Hawk on my voice recorder. Looking at the images I am not so confident of these both raptors. For me it looks much more like a juv. Congo Serpent Eagle due to the long tail with the pied pattern and the buffy wash with the spots on the belly.
Thanks for ID to the experts
Cheers
Johannes

Attachments

• Congo Serpent Antwikwaa.docx
    12.1 KB · Views: 17
Raptor at Antwikwaa/ Ghana mid of March

Walking in this nice open forest area near Kakum NP we saw a raptor early in the morning. The group noticed an immature Red-chested Goshawk and in the beginning I was thinking of this species. Later I recorded an African Baza resp. African Cuckoo Hawk on my voice recorder. Looking at the images I am not so confident of these both raptors. For me it looks much more like a juv. Congo Serpent Eagle due to the long tail with the pied pattern and the buffy wash with the spots on the belly.
Cheers
Johannes

Attachments

• Congo Serpent Eagle_DSG73684.jpg
    Congo Serpent Eagle_DSG73684.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 66
with that dark throat stripe and the accipiter shape looks perfect for toussenelli to me but no experience with western African raptors

Hi Tom, With the hint of a dark throat stripe and the accipiter shape it might look perfect but the drawings in Birds of Western Africa (Helm Identification Guides) von Nick Borrow und Ron Demey of immature Red-chested Goshawk do not fit. The drawing for young Congo Serpent Eagle looks much better. But I can neither find a flight image for Red-chested Goshawk nor Congo Serpent Eagle in the Africanbirdclub gallery. I would be really interested in a qualified help.
Cheers
Johannes

Hi Tom, With the hint of a dark throat stripe and the accipiter shape it might look perfect but the drawings in Birds of Western Africa (Helm Identification Guides) von Nick Borrow und Ron Demey of immature Red-chested Goshawk do not fit. The drawing for young Congo Serpent Eagle looks much better.
It is neither its silhouette nor its plumage.
It's an Accipiter.
Jean

Just discussed with Thibaut, he thinks Black Sparrowhawk as toussenelli in his experience should be whiter with barred flanks, so Jean got it

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back