• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

On The Hoof - Fieldwork From Orkney (1 Viewer)

On a similar chromatic and moody theme; this sub-ad great black-backed gull made a statuesquely buoyant model for a tiny scribble and a few snaps on my lunchtime constitutional. Something about shaded whites against the light really floats my boat. Nature's very cunning oftentimes, methinks.
I have to dof my cap in the direction of Gaby (Lykos) here - I've been admiring her pared-down approach greatly recently and I had this very much in mind during the painting of this watercolour.
22"x15" - on Fabriano Artistico paper.

Attachments

• sub-adult greater black-back small.JPG
    sub-adult greater black-back small.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
On a similar chromatic and moody theme; this sub-ad great black-backed gull made a statuesquely buoyant model for a tiny scribble and a few snaps on my lunchtime constitutional. Something about shaded whites against the light really floats my boat. Nature's very cunning oftentimes, methinks.
I have to dof my cap in the direction of Gaby (Lykos) here - I've been admiring her pared-down approach greatly recently and I had this very much in mind during the painting of this watercolour.
22"x15" - on Fabriano Artistico paper.

As a larophile I can only say that is a painting of great, great beauty Tim. Simple, understated and delicate. Ive been back to this twice so far. The eye and surrounding area has been executed to perfection, all the detail is there, but with minimal fuss. Its as much a study of light as the subject, the shawl of shadow on the neck that extends the the rear of the nape is wonderful, as is the shadowed mantle. So much to see here. This for me, quite simply, is your best watercolour to date.

back in for another look at the GBB Gull- my current favourite bit is the bleed of brown into the reflection but other bits will take over as I re-re-visit to love it and learn

Tim- I know we have a cult of modesty on here: but you must be rather pleased with this one?

Something about shaded whites against the light really floats my boat. Nature's very cunning oftentimes, methinks.

Can only echo everyone else but I do think this statement says a lot: there's such a sense of subtle color and light here. For all your admirable and varied styles I think that it's the capture of light as in this one that is at at the top of my list.

Erm, well - thank you so very much. I've rarely felt quite so unworthy, to be honest.
I do like this piece for a couple of reasons, but I think it scores highest because it comes quite close to the mantal image I had at the time (rarely do my paintings come anywhere near my aspirations for them). Secondly - I think there's a nice balance between the large, loose swathes of wash and some little bits of detail where they are most required; the scaps and both sets of flight feathers, namely - usually I just blob these areas in but on this occasion I was more considered. Something Ed mentioned about a painting I was working on a few years ago - a colony of arctic terns - and the way I made the start by detailing a single bird's bill and gape. That observation stuck with me and I think this has something of that piece in it -tiny flecks of detail where absolutely necessary and then a somewhat more cavalier approach where I thought I could get away with it.
But I suppose it will now go down as a favourite painting as a result of the wonderful comments by folk who I really rate and respect Cheers - the next one will be sh!te, I promise :-O

Tim, also a well deserved ”BRAVO” from Denmark – absolutely stunning, be it the light, the stature of the gull, the shadow on its back, the reflections, the rocks – the lot. Just brilliant ! :t:
You say it´s a sub-ad great black-backed gull – probably right about that - but by first glimpse I would have thought it to be perhaps a 3cy because of the all black bill, whereas the sub-ad would have a lighter bill with a black bill band – but I am not all a gull expert and might be totally wrong.

Btw I am off very early tomorrow morning to the island of Bornholm in the Baltic for a week, hopefully to see lots of gulls there – perhaps a few surprises.

I´ll send you a postcard Tim.

Cheers,
Torben

Gotta agree with the general sentiment mate. Personally I think it's one of the best you've done and it is indeed on a par with Lars for sure. Great stuff

My services around the house were dspensed with this afternoon so a swift trip to the beach seemd in order. A juv little gull was a nice find but I spent most of the timegetting ringed plovers and turnstones wrong; these are the slightly less-wrong ones . . .

Attachments

• DSCN6856.JPG
    DSCN6856.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN6857.JPG
    DSCN6857.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN6858.JPG
    DSCN6858.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN6859.JPG
    DSCN6859.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN6861.JPG
    DSCN6861.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 84
My services around the house were dspensed with this afternoon so a swift trip to the beach seemd in order. A juv little gull was a nice find but I spent most of the timegetting ringed plovers and turnstones wrong; these are the slightly less-wrong ones . . .

Glorious, glorious fieldwork...

The lone turnstone graphite is phenomenal, watercolour too...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back