• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 883 vs Meopta S2 (1 Viewer)

Elite

Hello I am looking at these 2 spotters. Which is the best to buy?.. I will be using them for a long period of time with just glassing through them

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus you can then get the phenomenal extender that gets you into 90X very usable magnification.

Amazing for sea watches.

Have you compared them at all? There is a lot of good reviews on both scopes but some show the meopta beats the kowa

You have set yourself a big task, trying to decide between these two scopes using opinions from other folks.

The only way to decide is to try them yourself and if you can't do that (it is worth getting up at sunrise to drive to a suitable store and then not get back until sundown or later) buy from an e-store with a good returns policy.

I love the Meopta S2 especially with the 20-70x EP but I have only had brief looks through the Kowa and this is a great scope too.

Only your eyes and requirements can decide. I notice that you want to look through your scope for long periods and this is a different demand from those who look at a bird just long enough to identify the species. On the Western Isles of Scotland I looked through the S2 for good long periods observing behaviour of Otters and found it comfortable and I also found the lower mag of 20x useful on days when heat-shimmer made higher magnifications useless.

Lee

Have you compared them at all? There is a lot of good reviews on both scopes but some show the meopta beats the kowa

Yes. Extensively across the last six months.

Side by side you can see the s2 is an amazing scope. It really shows the quality put into it, however, the Kowa then shows just why it's the very best, especially when cranked up to Max zoom with extender.

Oh and one major flaw for the S2 is cold weather use. The focuser is not easy to use with gloves on, where as the Kowa is as simple with gloves as without. That's a major no no for me.

Yes. Extensively across the last six months.

Side by side you can see the s2 is an amazing scope. It really shows the quality put into it, however, the Kowa then shows just why it's the very best, especially when cranked up to Max zoom with extender.

Oh and one major flaw for the S2 is cold weather use. The focuser is not easy to use with gloves on, where as the Kowa is as simple with gloves as without. That's a major no no for me.

I have Raynaud's Syndrome which means I have cold fingers and toes even in warm weather so if there is a cool breeze blowing I still have to wear gloves in summer and I didn't find any problem with two types of glove (one was like wool and the other a more slippery waterproof material) and using the S2 focus wheel.

Lee

I have the Meopta S2 with 30-60 and love it. But I can't help you (as I've never seen the big Kowa) other than to say that Aceoptics in Bath have a secondhand Kowa 883 with 20-60ep for 1799 sterling. There's another one on the 'bay without an eyepiece. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Hi,

the examples I have seen of Kowa 88X and the S2 (5 or so different Kowas - only one Meopta) were all quite nice - unlike with ATX where I saw two not so great examples (among 5-10).

If you might want higher magnification, the extender option will tip the scales for the Kowa, plus of course your preference on focuser. I personally like the Kowa focuser a lot better - but it's a matter of taste.

Joachim

Has anyone used kowa warranty or customer service? I have heard great things about Swarovski service. How is the re sale value on the kowa?

All depends on where you live I guess and who the importers are for your country. Why not enquire from your nearest optics store to establish what, where and who to contact if there's a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back