• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper Damaged (1 Viewer)

Paul E

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so
I was visiting Ham Wall RSPB last week (lovely place) and unfortunately my Vortex Viper scope fell off my tripod while I was carrying it. It now has something rattling about inside and is unusable. I am not able to use the Vortex VIP warranty as the scope was not purchased in the UK. I have tried contacting a couple of repairers but had no response, does anyone have any recommendations for a repairer in the UK that they have used?

Many thanks

Paul

PS Cross posted from Vortex forum as I expect most readers their can use the Vortex warranty.

Unfortunately your up the creek without a paddle as you've got a "grey import". Any independent telescope repairer in the UK will struggle to get replacement parts such as prisms, which is why you've had no success.
Afraid you have to bite the bullet and either claim on your optics insurance (if covered) or save up for a new scope.
Last resort would be to try East Coast Binocular Repair, see www.binocular-repair.co.uk
If they can't do anything then no one can.

Thanks for your reply, I will give them a try. I am not really sure I understand why parts for a Vortex should be any less available than any other make, but we will see. I am perfectly wiling to pay repair costs, surely Vortex must supply parts, fingers crossed they do.

I bought the scope when I lived in the US. As a last resort as I will be going back for a month next year so maybe I can get it repaired under warranty then.

It would be shame to just write it off as you imply (no insurance other than household, which might not be cost effective).

Last edited:
Hi Paul.
There was a very recent post saying that Tony Kay of OptRep, Selsey is still repairing optics.
If so, that is a good choice and maybe nearby to you.

If not, I suppose Vortex may repair it for a fee in the U.K. or free in the U.S.A.

It may be that a prism or lens element is dislodged and not actually broken.
Even if broken and no Vortex prism or lens is available, they can be made or other prisms or lens elements used.

If it happened when Horace Dall was around he would make the part and have the scope back to you in a week.

There seems to be a happy ending to this. I contacted east Coast Binocular Repairs as recommended by PYRTLE and they could not have been more helpful.

They contacted the Vortex UK importer who said spares were not available, but that they would repair or replace it for £48 including return postage.

Top marks to Vortex, their UK importer Newpro (UK) and East Coast Binocular Repair!

Thanks again to PYRTLE, although his and to lesser extent my own pessimism was proved to be unfounded.

Hopefully this info might be useful to others in the same situation.

Paul

PS - thanks to Binastro for the info. I did email Selsey as they aren't too far from me, but haven't, as yet, received any reply.

Last edited:
Paul,
Pleased you got a brilliant positive result and that your scope can be fixed for what seems a very good price. Seems the Vortex UK importers are doing a better job than some of the higher quality brands. Glad Gary put you in touch, he's a top bloke.
P

Newpro tell me that for Vortex its usually not cost effective to repair damaged scopes so they will just replace it (its a Razor HD not a Viper - oops) with the current, improved, model. The £48 payment I understand reinstates the lifetime VIP warranty so if it ever needs repair or replacement in the future it should be fully covered. Bloody good reason to buy Vortex I would say.

I have the Viper bins and Razor scope and I think the quality and value for money are outstanding. Its difficult to tell the difference in the bins between the Vortex and my Leica Ultravids.

Paul

Unfortunately your up the creek without a paddle as you've got a "grey import". Any independent telescope repairer in the UK will struggle to get replacement parts such as prisms, which is why you've had no success.
Afraid you have to bite the bullet and either claim on your optics insurance (if covered) or save up for a new scope.
Last resort would be to try East Coast Binocular Repair, see www.binocular-repair.co.uk
If they can't do anything then no one can.

Thank you for your suggestion.
My friend facing the same situation as Paul E and I luckily saw your post yesterday and told him. Now he is so happy to know that he can repair his Vortex scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back